Two Blue Dogs Get The Boot

Two Blue Dogs Defeated in Pennsylvania Primaries | The Nation

Two conservative Democratic congressman who aligned with Republicans during last year’s budget fights and broke to the right on a host of other issues were defeated in primary contests Tuesday in Pennsylvania.

Congressmen Tim Holden and Jason Altmire, both members of the conservative “Blue Dog Coalition,” were swept out of office by Democratic primary voters who opted for candidates who were more clearly critical of corporate abuses and right-wing policies.

One thing that distinguished Holden and Altmire was their support for the Republican balanced-budget amendment in 2011—a vote that put them at odds with the vast majority of Democrats in Congress. The GOP proposal sought to make deep cuts in Medicare funding and in support for education and healthcare initiatives.

Holden was defeated by northeastern Pennsylvania trial lawyer Matt Cartwright, a proud “Roosevelt Democrat” who placed himself in Paul Wellstone’s “Democratic Wing of the Democratic Party.” Cartwright ran with strong support from the League of Conservation Voters and other groups that objected to the incumbent’s following of the corporate line on environmental issues such as fracking. While Holden, the dean of the Pennsylvania Congressional delegation, cast a critical vote against the Democrat’s healthcare reform proposal, his challenger’s campaign declared: “Matt would have supported President Obama’s Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010. He remains dissatisfied, however, that it did not go far enough to expand health care coverage for more Americans and hold insurance companies more accountable for what they charge families.”

Well, here we go.

The left whines about the Tea Party extemists and they turn around and do the same thing. I guess, in one way I am happy. This should wake up the right to the fact that the liberals are only interested in one thing.

Whining about extremism on the right.

While practicing that same extremism themselves.

Looking forward to November.

your party has gone insane on the right.

those blue dogs today would be equal to your partys middle during reagan.

They are not like you tea party idiots in the least on the dem left.

they in fact embrace science and use logic unlike the tea party

Americans are on a budget, why isn't our government?

Why do Democrats hate fiscal responsibility?

Americans are in debt up their ears. I'd hardly choose the average American as someone to put in charge of fiscal responsibility.

Romney and the GOP have a plan that will sink the government even deeper in debt.

How is it that all I read is the left whining about how they can't the specifics of Romney's plan and yet you have enough to make this kind of analysis.

Maybe you should share your vast knowledge with them.

We know that Romney wants to increase defense spending and cut taxes 20% across the board. Those, at least, are his last known positiions on those subjects.

That will add billions and billions to the deficit.

What Romney won't specify is where he will make billions and billions of cuts in domestic non-defense programs to fulfill his known promise to balance the budget.

What we can reasonably assume here is that in order to balance the budget after adding that much to the already huge deficit we have,

he would have to make domestic cuts that are politically impossible to make.

So it's reasonable to conclude that if he carries out what we know about his plans, he will explode the deficit.

Americans are in debt up their ears. I'd hardly choose the average American as someone to put in charge of fiscal responsibility.

Romney and the GOP have a plan that will sink the government even deeper in debt.

Obama keeps spending like a crack ho and Dems are the Party of No Budget, Not Ever.

It's easy to understand.

Your party distroyed the world economy and put us in debt.

you cant fix the mess without spending you idiot

Two Blue Dogs Defeated in Pennsylvania Primaries | The Nation

Two conservative Democratic congressman who aligned with Republicans during last year’s budget fights and broke to the right on a host of other issues were defeated in primary contests Tuesday in Pennsylvania.

Congressmen Tim Holden and Jason Altmire, both members of the conservative “Blue Dog Coalition,” were swept out of office by Democratic primary voters who opted for candidates who were more clearly critical of corporate abuses and right-wing policies.

One thing that distinguished Holden and Altmire was their support for the Republican balanced-budget amendment in 2011—a vote that put them at odds with the vast majority of Democrats in Congress. The GOP proposal sought to make deep cuts in Medicare funding and in support for education and healthcare initiatives.

Holden was defeated by northeastern Pennsylvania trial lawyer Matt Cartwright, a proud “Roosevelt Democrat” who placed himself in Paul Wellstone’s “Democratic Wing of the Democratic Party.” Cartwright ran with strong support from the League of Conservation Voters and other groups that objected to the incumbent’s following of the corporate line on environmental issues such as fracking. While Holden, the dean of the Pennsylvania Congressional delegation, cast a critical vote against the Democrat’s healthcare reform proposal, his challenger’s campaign declared: “Matt would have supported President Obama’s Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010. He remains dissatisfied, however, that it did not go far enough to expand health care coverage for more Americans and hold insurance companies more accountable for what they charge families.”

Well, here we go.

The left whines about the Tea Party extemists and they turn around and do the same thing. I guess, in one way I am happy. This should wake up the right to the fact that the liberals are only interested in one thing.

Whining about extremism on the right.

While practicing that same extremism themselves.

Looking forward to November.

Funny thing is, there is little extreme about the Tea Party movement.

They are just being reactionary to the frontal assault on our way of life by a united Leftist front.

I still think about this everytime I hear about how the dems and Obama tried to work with the GOP.

Those who did work with the GOP got sent packing.

That is consistent.

Democrats are intent on spending your great grandchildrens money. They will F over anyone that attempts interference.

Its amazing to me that there were even these two blue dogs left. I really thought they died teh day Bart Stupak was thrown under the bus. Dont get me wrong im not saying Stupak was siding with conservatives, but at least I thought in his heart of hearts he was more fiscally sound than the money gorging lefty.

what is that plan?

The plan to cut taxes by 20% while increasing defense spending.

Democrats will give democrats the boot if they work with republicans. Just like any republican who works with democrats will get the 2010 treatment. Gone. The people will complain there is a lack of biipartisanship.

Forum List

Back