Twice baked potatoes!

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
I was watching the cooking show "Pioneer Woman" today and was motivated to make a meatloaf/twice baked potato supper...

I have tried to make twice bakeds before, and they ended up tasting like garbage (after a LOT of trouble) so I sort of wrote them off.

But Mom had some really nice bakers, and I liked the recipe, so i went for it....

I took 4-5 LARGE bakers, rubbed them with oil and baked them at 350 until done, then let them cool.

I cut them in half lengthways, then scooped out all but a thin layer of potato, and put the scooped potato in a medium sized bowl.

1/2 C sour cream
1/2 block of cream cheese
about 1 1/2 or 2 cups (two big handfulls) of grated cheddar cheese

All went in with it, and about a teaspoon of salt. I also salted and peppered the shells....

Then I mashed everything together until it was really well mixed, but not quite lump free. The lumps were small, though, and everything was evenly distributed.

Then load the shells back up and back into the oven @ 350 for about 30 minutes or so....

They were very, very yummy.

Would have been better with some chives probably but we didn't have any. And crumbled bacon would have been good on top but I don't think mixed in.

When I was a kid my Father (rest his soul) insisted on some form of potato dish at every meal...

I guess it had something to do with being Irish/British.

When I find the recipe book, I'll share a few great potato recipes especially a salmon souffle ..

Yup we did, too. I hated fried potatoes and stopped eating them for DECADES after I moved out of my mom's home...because we had them ALL the time.

Yup we did, too. I hated fried potatoes and stopped eating them for DECADES after I moved out of my mom's home...because we had them ALL the time.

Yup.. The Old Parental Potato Torture...I know it well..:lol:

Ugh.

We had potatoes and gravy for every meal...but NEVER mashed! We'd have boiled potatoes, or fried potatoes, but my mom would never mash them. What the heck was up with that?

Ugh.

We had potatoes and gravy for every meal...but NEVER mashed! We'd have boiled potatoes, or fried potatoes, but my mom would never mash them. What the heck was up with that?

You poor child...and you carry the anger with you to this very day...Oh, the humanity...:(

:lol:...:lol:

If it makes you feel any better, my Mother would boil them, cool them, put them in the refrigerator overnight, then make us eat them cold the next day, she called it "ice cream"...:eek:

Last edited:
I'm at mom's for vacation. All that was old is made new again.

I am trying to find a way to bail. Help.

Sheesh... I though you Gals were born with natural excuses, whoops I'm wrong, that was Democrats..:lol:

Tell Mom you have a love interest waiting...Mom's love that intrigue stuff, as I recall.

Oh HELL no....that would trigger...no way.

I'm thinking of getting some really bad news from a doctor or something...imminent death if I don't quickly return home to begin lifesaving medical treatment. A treatment that can only be undertaken more than 350 miles from mother....

In fact, at this point, faking my own death sounds really good.

Oh HELL no....that would trigger...no way.

I'm thinking of getting some really bad news from a doctor or something...imminent death if I don't quickly return home to begin lifesaving medical treatment. A treatment that can only be undertaken more than 350 miles from mother....

In fact, at this point, faking my own death sounds really good.

Bad Karma on the medical stuff, a last resort perhaps..

I'd go with the romance, after all you could end up broken hearted and really not want to talk about it for a while, you need quiet time to think and such..:wink_2:

I'm not much on putting either in potatoes; the flavor suffuses everything. Garlic and onion in the meatloaf though...

But GREEN onions would add to the yumminess.

Lol..I don't use a recipe but here's what I did:

Hamburger
eggs
bread
milk
soy sauce
worcestershire sauce
a couple of tbs of dry mustard (or wet)
garlic
minced onion
tomato sauce (or ketchup)
salt
pepper
parmesan cheese...

I think that's it. Plop the meat in a bowl, drop in a couple of pieces of bread and a couple of eggs, pour enough milk to soak the bread, add the rest of the ingredients (about 1/2 cup of red stuff) and knead it together. Don't overdo the kneading, it will get gummy.

Shape into a loaf and cook either on a broiler rack or with some sort of rack underneath it in the pan. Put bacon on the top, mix up a sauce of ketchup, brown sugar, worcestershire, soy sauce, garlic, mustard and spread over the top.

Bake at 325- 350 until it's done; usually around an hour.

Lol..I don't use a recipe but here's what I did:

Hamburger
eggs
bread
milk
soy sauce
worcestershire sauce
a couple of tbs of dry mustard (or wet)
garlic
minced onion
tomato sauce (or ketchup)
salt
pepper
parmesan cheese...

I think that's it. Plop the meat in a bowl, drop in a couple of pieces of bread and a couple of eggs, pour enough milk to soak the bread, add the rest of the ingredients (about 1/2 cup of red stuff) and knead it together. Don't overdo the kneading, it will get gummy.

Shape into a loaf and cook either on a broiler rack or with some sort of rack underneath it in the pan. Put bacon on the top, mix up a sauce of ketchup, brown sugar, worcestershire, soy sauce, garlic, mustard and spread over the top.

Bake at 325- 350 until it's done; usually around an hour.

Thanks!

Now I'm super hungry. :eusa_drool:

Forum List

Back