Twenty words you can't say in Alabama

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Twenty words you can't say in Alabama | The Economist

EVERY politician says something he has to walk back once in a while. In the case of Bradley Byrne, a Republican candidate for governor of Alabama, it was:

I think there are parts of the Bible that are meant to be literally true and parts that are not.

Mr Byrne was battered by so much criticism that he quickly trudged to a Piggly Wiggly grocery store to hold a press conference and recant. Claiming he had been misquoted, he said

I believe the Bible is true. Every word of it.

Mr Byrne's momentary hesitation about the literal truth of every word of the Bible makes him the religious hippie in the Republican field. James Potts, another runner, thinks that public property should be allowed to display monuments to every faith—except Islam: "Either you accept our way of life or you go back to another country that is Muslim." All supported voluntary school prayer. All but one thought that public-school teachers should be allowed to teach from the Bible.

Thoughts?

EVERY politician says something he has to walk back once in a while. In the case of Bradley Byrne, a Republican candidate for governor of Alabama, it was:

I think there are parts of the Bible that are meant to be literally true and parts that are not.

Mr Byrne was battered by so much criticism that he quickly trudged to a Piggly Wiggly grocery store to hold a press conference and recant. Claiming he had been misquoted, he said

I believe the Bible is true. Every word of it.

Mr Byrne's momentary hesitation about the literal truth of every word of the Bible makes him the religious hippie in the Republican field. James Potts, another runner, thinks that public property should be allowed to display monuments to every faith—except Islam: "Either you accept our way of life or you go back to another country that is Muslim." All supported voluntary school prayer. All but one thought that public-school teachers should be allowed to teach from the Bible.

Thoughts?

Alabama is no different than any place else in the country since Mr. Byrne would have been criticized by a certain segment of the population for his comments no matter where he was from.

IMHO this (the article) is just another lame attempt to stereotype Southern Americans as "ignorant bible thumpers" which is just an out and out distortion of reality.

Alabama is no different than any place else in the country since Mr. Byrne would have been criticized by a certain segment of the population for his comments no matter where he was from.

IMHO this (the article) is just another lame attempt to stereotype Southern Americans as "ignorant bible thumpers" which is just an out and out distortion of reality.

I have a feeling if he said this in the Northeast that the criticism would not nearly be as much.

I have a feeling if he said this in the Northeast that the criticism would not nearly be as much.

You're probably right, however that doesn't change the fact that he would have been criticized for it, in either case though it would have been a small but vocal minority (granted probably larger in Alabama but still small compared to the whole population) doing the criticizing.

Thoughts?

I'd argue simply...

"Ignorant" no. "Bible thumpers" yes.

The south tends to be more religious. Move along folks nothing to see here...

"More religious" No, perhaps a bit more "committed" in their religious practices than other regions of the country, perhaps. "More religious" is meaningless, you are either a practitioner (member, follower, whatever you choose to call it) of a "religion" or you are not, the variance is in degree not in the amount. ;)

"More religious" No, perhaps a bit more "committed" in their religious practices than other regions of the country, perhaps. "More religious" is meaningless, you are either a practitioner (member, follower, whatever you choose to call it) of a "religion" or you are not, the variance is in degree not in the amount. ;)

Mississippi most religious, Vermont least, survey says - USATODAY.com

Again, what I said earlier holds true.

Following is Gallup's entire list of states, in order of what percentage of respondents said religion is "an important part" of their daily lives:

• Mississippi: 85%
• Alabama: 82%
• South Carolina: 80%
• Tennessee: 79%
• Louisiana: 78%
• Arkansas: 78%
• Georgia: 76%
• North Carolina: 76%
• Oklahoma: 75%
• Kentucky: 74%
• Texas: 74%
• West Virginia: 71%
• Kansas: 70%
• Utah: 69%

All of those states excluding Utah all have something in common. :eusa_think:

Following is Gallup's entire list of states, in order of what percentage of respondents said religion is "an important part" of their daily lives:

That would be the "degree" I was talking about, still doesn't mean anything with respect to "amount".

I just tried to keep it as simple as possible. As most southerners do. The religion question is kind of strange. People would probably call me "non-religious" because I'm not devoted to one particular "church", but I am personally extremely devoted to a set of core beliefs that I hold. I guess all that is in the eye of the beholder, which because relationship with God is personal... it should be.

Missouri didn't make the cut? I am skeptical of the methodology used that could preclude Missouri.

P.S. - Kansas, Arkansas and Oklahoma are Midwest states.

Missouri didn't make the cut? I am skeptical of the methodology used that could preclude Missouri.

If you go to the link after the jump, you'll see Missouri is right under Utah. I actually thought about including it because you would mention it. :lol:

And I know they are. But they are traditionally known as "religious states" or states where religion plays a huge role in the candidate.

Interesting that only four states are the religious in the minority:

• Alaska: 51%
• Massachusetts: 48%
• Maine: 48%
• New Hampshire: 46%
• Vermont: 42%​

Interesting that only four states are the religious in the minority:

• Alaska: 51%
• Massachusetts: 48%
• Maine: 48%
• New Hampshire: 46%
• Vermont: 42%​

Alaska! So Palin was Governor of a bunch of Godless Heathens! :eek: :rofl:

Unsurprisingly, the four bottom states and a lot of the bottom states are in the north east where Gay Marriage is becoming more and more legalized. Everywhere but Rhode Island I think at this point and that will change when we elect a Democrat in 2010.

Though I guess Alaska just falls under the whole "It's too fucking cold here, leave us alone" category. :lol:

I just tried to keep it as simple as possible. As most southerners do. The religion question is kind of strange. People would probably call me "non-religious" because I'm not devoted to one particular "church", but I am personally extremely devoted to a set of core beliefs that I hold. I guess all that is in the eye of the beholder, which because relationship with God is personal... it should be.

Nice, my feelings exactly. I do not get worked up so badly when people say something against my beliefs because I believe in their freedom to believe differently. As long as their religion does not effect my life, they get no trouble from me. But the southern states tend to have a competition on who defends the bible best!

Thoughts?

That's true, it seems one cannot put 3 people together without three separate views or interpretations, then there is the old 'pig pile' syndrome, when it takes over,one them gets tromped on by the others. It even seems to happen in here at times :lol: Must be just plain old human nature.

stupid people are stupid. maybe he should moved to a state with educated people and he wouldn't face such problems

Don't tell that to most Arkansans. And if you do, RUN. ;)

Forum List

Back