Twenty Minutes of Silence OR

*jumps of topic*

Jillian, I was at a bar mitzvah last Saturday. I was handed a Torah with the bottom half of the page as commentary/explanation, top right in Hebrew and top left in English. That thing weighed a ton. Then I get the service hymnal, again in Hebrew, along with a cheat sheet phonetic English book. My arms are buff.

I was impressed by the ties made to the past and also to future generations of the faithful. I'm Christian, but it was very interesting and thought provoking.

*leaves you off topic*

that is, indeed, a jump off topic. lol..

the one thing jews try to do is acknowledge every day is that the past is relevant to the present.

I think there are things to learn from every belief and I'm glad you appreciated the experience. We're getting ready for my son's bar mitzvah now and it's an endeavor, for sure.

one of the reasons i find literal reading of any religious book so strange is that we constantly argue over the meaning of the law. there's an old story about how a group of rabbis were arguing over the meaning of a word in the talmud. And G-d came down to join them and said 'what that means is..."... upon which the rabbis cut him off and said, no... you gave the law to us so we have to decide what it means. lol..

ornery bunch we are. lol..

It's dusk now. Nine years later and it's dusk now. Tomorrow the sun will rise in the east.

*jumps of topic*

Jillian, I was at a bar mitzvah last Saturday. I was handed a Torah with the bottom half of the page as commentary/explanation, top right in Hebrew and top left in English. That thing weighed a ton. Then I get the service hymnal, again in Hebrew, along with a cheat sheet phonetic English book. My arms are buff.

I was impressed by the ties made to the past and also to future generations of the faithful. I'm Christian, but it was very interesting and thought provoking.

*leaves you off topic*

the one thing jews try to do is acknowledge every day is that the past is relevant to the present.

I think there are things to learn from every belief and I'm glad you appreciated the experience. We're getting ready for my son's bar mitzvah now and it's an endeavor, for sure.

one of the reasons i find literal reading of any religious book so strange is that we constantly argue over the meaning of the law. there's an old story about how a group of rabbis were arguing over the meaning of a word in the talmud. And G-d came down to join them and said 'what that means is..."... upon which the rabbis cut him off and said, no... you gave the law to us so we have to decide what it means. lol..

I heard several references to opportunities for the new adults to visit Israel. The faith is tied to the land as well it seems. Little wonder the Jews fight so hard to maintain a foothold in the region. Also, that is where the ancestors were.

It was the son of my college roommate who had the bar mitzvah. It obviously takes time to learn a different language and to use the proper metre and musical pitch. Three years I think was mentioned? My friend knows I'm religous and would appreciate the experience and support his family in their beliefs.

I understand why you did G-d by the way. One of my other very good friends informed me of that years ago.

I know it's just after 8:45, but I misunderstood your point so indulge me here, CW. ;)

The answer is NO. We don't need to wallow in the images of these things to remember. For some people maybe it helps them in some way, and that's fine. But I personally still can't watch them. There's no need, some things you just never forget.

I may not have been clear. Sorry. I didn't want to vent in the thread where people are talking about what they remember. And Willow's thread seemed a good place. :)

But really, I think respect is appropriate. Re-living it isn't. It's unhealthy.

Kind of like the constant retelling of the stories about slavery and Jim Crow and how awful black people have it in this terrible country......... right jilli?

I know it's just after 8:45, but I misunderstood your point so indulge me here, CW. ;)

The answer is NO. We don't need to wallow in the images of these things to remember. For some people maybe it helps them in some way, and that's fine. But I personally still can't watch them. There's no need, some things you just never forget.

I may not have been clear. Sorry. I didn't want to vent in the thread where people are talking about what they remember. And Willow's thread seemed a good place. :)

But really, I think respect is appropriate. Re-living it isn't. It's unhealthy.

Kind of like the constant retelling of the stories about slavery and Jim Crow and how awful black people have it in this terrible country......... right jilli?

no, like watching people die over and over.

or do you not correlate watching the buildings collapse with the actual reality of 3,000 dead people?

but thanks for bringing your usual racist spew into the topic.

*jumps of topic*

*leaves you off topic*

I heard several references to opportunities for the new adults to visit Israel. The faith is tied to the land as well it seems. Little wonder the Jews fight so hard to maintain a foothold in the region. Also, that is where the ancestors were.

It was the son of my college roommate who had the bar mitzvah. It obviously takes time to learn a different language and to use the proper metre and musical pitch. Three years I think was mentioned? My friend knows I'm religous and would appreciate the experience and support his family in their beliefs.

I understand why you did G-d by the way. One of my other very good friends informed me of that years ago.

the religion originated with Abraham being told to take his wife and nephew into canaan (israel). so it's a pretty seminal thing for us. more people are probably attached to judaism in that way than they are by their religious observance since so many jews are secular.

my son went to hebrew school for five years. he's taken bar mitzvah lessons for about one year. he's doing an actual torah reading ... the one with the story i just wrote about, actually. :)

the good thing is, you don't really forget how to read the letters. it comes back to you after a bit.

This of course will not be enforced, but you can expect PI levels of neg rep from if you post during those times. Fair warning. Crimson White

Maybe it would be easier on everyone if you just shut the board down for 20 minutes.

It is stupid to threat people with negative repping over such a thing.

This of course will not be enforced, but you can expect PI levels of neg rep from if you post during those times. Fair warning. Crimson White

Maybe it would be easier on everyone if you just shut the board down for 20 minutes.

To the best of my knowledge no one was neg repped. At least not for the stated reason. Want me to threaten you with smilies?

:wtf::eusa_doh::eusa_naughty:

To the best of my knowledge no one was neg repped. At least not for the stated reason. Want me to threaten you with smilies?

Whether people were actually neg repped for such is not the point. Making such a threat in the first place is the point.

Not everyone grieves or reflects in the same manner. And in my opinion, it is childish and arrogant of a moderator to try and make people feel guilty or go silent, if they don't act in the same manner he thinks they should. It is authoritarian talk.

Whether people were actually neg repped for such is not the point. Making such a threat in the first place is the point.

Not everyone grieves or reflects in the same manner. And in my opinion, it is childish and arrogant of a moderator to try and make people feel guilty or go silent, if they don't act in the same manner he thinks they should. It is authoritarian talk.

You have to cut CW some slack, he's somewhat pissed cause we didn't ask "how high" when the MODMORON said "JUMP." :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I agree, but don't you think you'd be more convincing without sarge staring back at us?

Actually, I think wallowing lets them win. In Israel, when something gets blown up, its cleaned up and re-built. you'd never even know they noticed. and they've had losses proportionate to their population that 9/11 was to ours.

That's not entirely true. The Lev HaMifratz Mall in Haifa has a display of the Scud missile that hit it in 1991.

I agree. The threads should be locked for that time...but the board should stay open for viewing and PMs etc.

If you had locked the threads it would have been meaningless. Instead of us all choosing to commemorate the event by exercising a 20 Min Silence. You would have turned it into nothing but a server shut down, with everyone supposedly being silent in in reality they could not say anything if they wanted to.

IMO anyways.

I agree. The threads should be locked for that time...but the board should stay open for viewing and PMs etc.

If you had locked the threads it would have been meaningless. Instead of us all choosing to commemorate the event by exercising a 20 Min Silence. You would have turned it into nothing but a server shut down, with everyone supposedly being silent in in reality they could not say anything if they wanted to.

IMO anyways.

20 minutes of silence followed by 20 minutes of what happened to USMB?

Of course the answer to both would be terrorists! :eusa_shhh:

I really don't understand why we wallow in victimhood on 9.11. there's remembering and there's being professional victims.

I have to say, i feel like the best way to give the finger to the people who orchestrated that type of destruction is to rebuild and go on. But it's been nine years and it's still a hole in the ground....

Terrorists and terrorist sympathizers must get a rush every time we do this.

I agree. I think all of these continued tributes every year make us look weak. It's been nine year. People need to get over it already and move on.

I really don't understand why we wallow in victimhood on 9.11. there's remembering and there's being professional victims.

I have to say, i feel like the best way to give the finger to the people who orchestrated that type of destruction is to rebuild and go on. But it's been nine years and it's still a hole in the ground....

Terrorists and terrorist sympathizers must get a rush every time we do this.

I agree. I think all of these continued tributes every year make us look weak. It's been nine year. People need to get over it already and move on.

People who tell others what they "need to get over" are annoying and need to STFU.

Don't participate in a 9/11 remembrence thread if you don't want to. Others want to remember and reflect.

Good for you. You have an opinion. Fuck off.

I don't enforce anything with something as meaningless than rep. I promise you that have other tools at my disposal for such matters.

Forum List

Back