Twenty Minutes of Silence OR

given that your mentally deficient ramblings are generally incoherant, i won't tax you with a long explanation ... but i wasn't referring to the moment of silence. i was referring to the day generally.

now kindly go back to your cave.

thanks.
It's the equivalent of the current generations' "Day of Infamy".

It's not wallowing in victimhood; it's remembering and giving memorial to all we lost and all who were so very heroic that day and days after.

I do agree with you about rebuilding. I think the greatest way to say "Fuck you, you terrorist pigs and pieces of shit" was to rebuild, bigger and better. Another couple of towers would be great.

The Pentagon never looked better, by the way.

I will never forget. Ever. That does not equate to wallowing in victimhood, though. It simply reminds me (like I need to be reminded, by the way) of how fucked up they are, but it is more a unique way of honoring and memorial to me.

Personally, I view it as respect. In the same way that we honor the dead of the World Wars. It is something that makes us human - it makes us better than those who seek to destroy us.
Yup. Absolutely.

There are just moments in time that are significan in one's life. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when JFK was assassinated. When the shuttle exploded. and 9-11. 9-11 is so memorable because some 3000 people were murdered because some muslim extremitst decided they should murder them. What you should never forget is that these people are viewed as heroes in some parts of the world. They will do it again.

I was working outdoors all day, by myself and did not hear or see the news until the six o'clock news. It was a unique experience to get all the information at once. Dumbfounding, anger and sadness all at once.

There are just moments in time that are significan in one's life. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when JFK was assassinated. When the shuttle exploded. and 9-11. 9-11 is so memorable because some 3000 people were murdered because some muslim extremitst decided they should murder them. What you should never forget is that these people are viewed as heroes in some parts of the world. They will do it again.

And wallowing on this day gives them the chance to do a little jig. And yes, they will do it again. That's what terrorists do.

If you want to remember the people who died, write your congress people and tell them to pass the bill paying for the health care of the first responders who stood in the rubble for days, weeks and months.

No one needs to see people jumping from buildings and planes killing people to 'remember'.

And wallowing on this day gives them the chance to do a little jig. And yes, they will do it again. That's what terrorists do.

If you want to remember the people who died, write your congress people and tell them to pass the bill paying for the health care of the first responders who stood in the rubble for days, weeks and months.

No one needs to see people jumping from buildings and planes killing people to 'remember'.

Jillian, I am stll trying to understand why with the UNiveral health care bill that was rammed through why the first responders can't get care? What am I missing?

I actively avoid all the tv that shows the planes hitting, the people falling.... an of that stuff. But I don't see it as wallowing to pay respect to those who died because they went to work. I see it as being a human being - and, yea, "We, the People" should pay for any medical requirements of the first responders.

Jillian, I am stll trying to understand why with the UNiveral health care bill that was rammed through why the first responders can't get care? What am I missing?

There's universal health care?

Who knew?

What you might be missing is maybe not politicize this...they need to get their medical care paid for... and you know it.

I know it's just after 8:45, but I misunderstood your point so indulge me here, CW. ;)

The answer is NO. We don't need to wallow in the images of these things to remember. For some people maybe it helps them in some way, and that's fine. But I personally still can't watch them. There's no need, some things you just never forget.

I may not have been clear. Sorry. I didn't want to vent in the thread where people are talking about what they remember. And Willow's thread seemed a good place. :)

But really, I think respect is appropriate. Re-living it isn't. It's unhealthy.

To me it isn't just the re-living, although that's bad enough. It's the knowledge that those are real people who are dying right before our eyes. It's the intensely personal nature of that moment for each and every person captured in those videos, thinking of the horror of their loved ones as they watched it all unfold, the feeling of almost violating all of them by playing it over again...and again....and again. It feels like voyeurism to me, I just can't do it.

Maybe I'm alone in feeling that way, maybe I'm not. But I simply see no need for it.

I don't need to see any video to remember nor do I need memorial services to remember, either.

I DO want to keep the memorials because I think it is due respect for those lost and those who were so heroic.

You don't have to participate if you find it distasteful...that's fine. But others don't find it distasteful at all. Not all think of it as wallowing or feel as you do. But, keep trying to tell us that you are right - it's 'wallowing'.

Ever hear the phrase, "that's what makes horse races"? Live and let live...quit trying to marginalize others because you think they should feel the same as you, please.

Or don't. But, I expect some to start getting angry at your incessant insisting that they are wallowing rather than showing due respect, and that would be a shame to be so decisive on such a day.

Just sayin'.

I know it's just after 8:45, but I misunderstood your point so indulge me here, CW. ;)

The answer is NO. We don't need to wallow in the images of these things to remember. For some people maybe it helps them in some way, and that's fine. But I personally still can't watch them. There's no need, some things you just never forget.

I may not have been clear. Sorry. I didn't want to vent in the thread where people are talking about what they remember. And Willow's thread seemed a good place. :)

But really, I think respect is appropriate. Re-living it isn't. It's unhealthy.

To me it isn't just the re-living, although that's bad enough. It's the knowledge that those are real people who are dying right before our eyes. It's the intensely personal nature of that moment for each and every person captured in those videos, thinking of the horror of their loved ones as they watched it all unfold, the feeling of almost violating all of them by playing it over again...and again....and again. It feels like voyeurism to me, I just can't do it.

Maybe I'm alone in feeling that way, maybe I'm not. But I simply see no need for it.

That's all I was saying. :)

This need people seem to have to out-aggrieve each other is incomprehensible to me.

Who knew?

What you might be missing is maybe not politicize this...they need to get their medical care paid for... and you know it.

So why doesn't New York cover them?

Who knew?

it was only a new york attack?

really?

then i get to tell people who were thousands of miles away that 9/11 has nothing to do with them? is that what you think? really?

:cool:

Who knew?

really?

then i get to tell people who were thousands of miles away that 9/11 has nothing to do with them? is that what you think? really?

Ahhhhh,, now we're there. Once upon a time you said exactly that. "Don't speak for us New Yorkers." So which is it? Are we with you or not?

I really don't understand why we wallow in victimhood on 9.11. there's remembering and there's being professional victims.

I have to say, i feel like the best way to give the finger to the people who orchestrated that type of destruction is to rebuild and go on. But it's been nine years and it's still a hole in the ground....

Terrorists and terrorist sympathizers must get a rush every time we do this.

Everyone deals with grief in different ways. And Fuck the terrorists and their sympathizers. If they think they've won I don't give a crap. We cannot get into the habit of doing or not doing something becasue it may set a terrorist in motion. Do that and then they have won. so FUCK THEM ALL.

Actually, I think wallowing lets them win. In Israel, when something gets blown up, its cleaned up and re-built. you'd never even know they noticed. and they've had losses proportionate to their population that 9/11 was to ours.

And today I get to hear a lot of people talk about how they should re-play something that was the worst day EVER... do you really think we need to *see* and *smell* that again?

why would we do that?

and the best... the best... is we have loons of all political persuasions protesting down there today. so much for honoring the day. :cuckoo:

Seriously---can we finally destroy all the WWII concentration camps and build a mosque there or something ? Having them exist as a museum only serves to encourage Nazi's.

really?

Ahhhhh,, now we're there. Once upon a time you said exactly that. "Don't speak for us New Yorkers." So which is it? Are we with you or not?

actually, you were the one who said it. not me. :)

and the answer is... i don't know. should new york pay for their care or should we all?

and is it fair to not take care of these people who responded to the attack?

Seriously---can we finally destroy all the WWII concentration camps and build a mosque there or something ? Having them exist as a museum only serves to encourage Nazi's.

is someone talking about building a mosque on the site?

interesting. that's news to me. perhaps if that were the case, i'd entertain the question.

really?

actually, you were the one who said it. not me. :)

and the answer is... i don't know. should new york pay for their care or should we all?

and is it fair to not take care of these people who responded to the attack?

No, Jillian. It was you. We (the group) were discussing the placement of the mosque. And you told us not to speak for New Yorkers. You were addressing those of us opposed to the placement of the mosque.

And yes, those people need taking care of. My question was why can't they get the care? It's been nine years.

is someone talking about building a mosque on the site?

interesting. that's news to me. perhaps if that were the case, i'd entertain the question.

ok--how about a McDonalds or Auschwitz pizzeria ?

Shit...I figured that this thread was heading into the tubes.

Congrats. :rolleyes:

It's okay actually. Lot's of pent up anger, emotion, stress and worry, even after nine years. Vent. We can never understand each other if we don't talk.

Forum List

Back