Twelve Days of Christmas

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
The official Christmas season, popularly known as either Christmastide or the Twelve Days of Christmas, extends from Christmas Day, December 25, to the feast of Epiphany on January 6. Most of us know the tune of the song that starts "On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me" and many of us know what the gifts were. However, keeping straight which gifts were given on which days is a different story. See how well you know this classic ditty. NO CHEATING!

1, On the first day of Christmas, what did my true love give to me?
a) A partridge in a pear tree
b) A pheasant in a peach tree
c) A porcupine in a pine tree

2. On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave me two things. What were they?
a) Two turkey legs
b) Two tea bags
c) Two turtledoves

3. On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave me three new presents. What did my true love pick for today?
a) Three calling birds
b) Three French hens
c) Three French fries

4. On the fourth day of Christmas, what did my true love give to me?
a) Four calling birds
b) Four fresh figs
c) Four feathered friends

5. On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave me five new things. What were they?
a) Five bee stings
b) Five olden things
c) Five golden rings

6. On the sixth day of Christmas, what did my true love give to me?
a) Six geese a-laying
b) Six swans a-swimming
c) Six owls a-hooting

7. On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love continued to bestow me with gifts. What gifts did I receive on this day?
a) Seven lords a-leaping
b) Seven swans a-swimming
c) Seven skiers a-schussing

8. On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love gave me eight gifts. What were they?
a) Eight ladies dancing
b) Eight maids a-milking
c) Eight eggs a-hatching

9. On the ninth day of Christmas, my true love gave me what?
a) Nine pipers piping
b) Nine computers crashing
c) Nine ladies dancing

10. On the tenth day of Christmas, my true love gave me ten presents. What were they?
a) Ten lords a-leaping
b) Ten maids a-milking
c) Ten lords a-laughing

11. On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love’s generosity continued. What did I receive on the eleventh day?
a) Eleven pickled peppers
b) Eleven preachers preaching
c) Eleven pipers piping

12. On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave me a final gift. What was it?
a) Twelve months for the New Year
b) Twelve drummers drumming
c) A dozen eggs

13. Bonus question: On the twelfth day of Christmas, how many gifts total did my true love give me?
a) 12
b) 64
c) 78

Answers:
1) A; 2) C; 3) B; 4) A; 5) A; 6) B; 7) B; 8) C; 9) A; 10) C; 11) C; 12) B;
13) C

ORIGIN OF
"THE TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS"

An Underground Catechism

You're all familiar with the Christmas song, "The Twelve Days of Christmas" I think. To most it's a delightful nonsense rhyme set to music. But it had a quite serious purpose when it was written.

It is a good deal more than just a repetitious melody with pretty phrases and a list of strange gifts.

Catholics in England during the period 1558 to 1829, when Parliament finally emancipated Catholics in England, were prohibited from ANY practice of their faith by law - private OR public. It was a crime to BE a Catholic.

more....

http://www.cin.org/twelvday.html

Very interesting! Now when I hear this song, I will think about the explanation of what it all means.

Forum List

Back