TV Judges

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
Here's my critique of TV Judges:

Judge Judy: she actually was a family court judge for 25 years. Most of her rulings are (reasonably) sound though occasionally she rules against a party just because they are annoying. In the first years of her program, few viewers understood the show paid the litigants and that the rules of arbitration applied, but o well. She's my favorite; I love love love when she tears someone a new one for being a jerk.

Judge Joe Brown: I don't really know his background well, though he says he was a judge. A little too preachy but in the main, okay. Some of his litigants are too far off the reservation for my taste.

Judge Alex: This guy was a highly respected criminal court judge in Miami before his tv stint. It's hard to believe he sidetracked murder cases, gang cases and major drug cases to handle unpaid rent. I just cannot warm to him.

Divorce Court: Judge Toler handles the insanity of divorce well, but the show has never made any sense to me. No family court in the US would recognize her rulings as binding, and any divorce lawyer can tell you the real nuts come out when child custody cases are litigated. Mostly, I can't watch. Too much shouting and carrying on.

For the most part, I don't think people learn a whole lot of law from the tv shows, but they do no serious harm. What say you?

I love Judge Judy! The best is when she rips some ding-dong a new one. Unbelievable they make people that stupid.

My favorite judge?

Brad1.jpg

I've appeared in front of Judy... she's great and she is in the courtroom EXACTLY what you see on TV. I would never have wanted to be on her bad side though.

Last edited:
  • Banned
I never practiced in New York -- alas. Seems to me many judges think it's their job to embarrass the attorneys, especially new ones. But most of mine were terrific to me.

The first time I tried to enter a document into the record, I think it took me three tries. I'd have never gotten it without hints from the judge.

I never practiced in New York -- alas. Seems to me many judges think it's their job to embarrass the attorneys, especially new ones. But most of mine were terrific to me.

The first time I tried to enter a document into the record, I think it took me three tries. I'd have never gotten it without hints from the judge.

my first court appearance was in queens supreme. i went in, all of 23 years old, probably looking 16, and the judge's court attorney tried to settle the case. my client wouldn't settle and the court attorney started getting a little aggressive about settling. if it were now, i'd just tell the court attorney, 'i'd love to settle, but my hands are tied' and move forward. being a baby lawyer, i stomped into the courtroom, hands crossed across my little black suit and practically stamped my foot. the judge, a very nice older man, interrupted what he was doing at the bench, pushed his glasses down his nose and said 'counselor, may i help you?'. i proceeded to go on a minute long rant about how my client wouldn't settle and i wouldn't let anyone bully my client, not even the court attorney'. the judge, with the most bemused look on his face, looked down at me, smiled and said, 'i greatly respect the diligence and fervor with which you're representing your client....... even if you are angering the court'.

at which point, i kind of stepped back, smiled and said, point taken your honor. he smiled and my later appearances in front of him were great.

it was the best lesson in how to conduct myself in court that i ever could have had.

what a great judge. lol.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I love Judge Judy, and sadly I must report that of my court experiences I wish she had been the judge. I went through a divorce proceeding several years ago and the old fart judge actually fell asleep during the trial, then caught my now ex perjuring herself and did nothing, etc etc. Sad. I've also seen many crazy things happen in court when testifying about a drug case or another.

Perjury in divorce cases is not uncommon, ConHog. It'd be nice if it were prosecuted, but I have never heard of such a thing, nor any lawyer disciplined for procuring it.

I think Judge Judy would make a terrific president.

Perjury in divorce cases is not uncommon, ConHog. It'd be nice if it were prosecuted, but I have never heard of such a thing, nor any lawyer disciplined for procuring it.

Yes I quickly figured that out Madeline. I was 22 years old and had zero knowledge of such things then though.

Of course 17 years later I still have no faith in the civil justice system of this country. My ex is currently $45K behind in child support and they won't even suspend her DL , so I just don't trust any of them. Judy would make a good AG, I'm not sure about President though lol

That was uncalled for, Lonestar logic. Whether or not anyone here has been sued I do not know, but I am beginning to think you're a bit of an ass.

Honestly I don't care what you think. If you idiots can't take a little joke then fuck you!

I've appeared in front of Judy... she's great and she is in the courtroom EXACTLY what you see on TV. I would never have wanted to be on her bad side though.

Bet you didn't give her any lip.:lol:

the only time i ever saw a case referred for prosecution was in federal court. apparently there was video of a guy operating a snow blower after his testimony said he was permanently disabled.

i would not have wanted to be the attorney on that case.

Forum List

Back