Tuscon Arizona school district bans racial hatred books

Yes, good Gaea! It's terrible that kids can't be exposed to the idea that America sucks! That's the only true enlightened opinion!

Why are you applauding lying about Americas history? I mean, if the history of America leads you to believe that America sucks. Is it the teachers responsibility to reverse your conclusion you draw from the facts?

Lying about Columbus helps no one and worst...it's not true. Why promote that?
Seems like you're more upset about kids not getting proper liberal indoctrination than about accurate history.

Seems like you are bad at the seems like game. I'll ask again, Why are you applauding lying about Americas history? I mean, if the history of America leads you to believe that America sucks. Is it the teachers responsibility to reverse your conclusion you draw from the facts?

Yes, good Gaea! It's terrible that kids can't be exposed to the idea that America sucks! That's the only true enlightened opinion!
What book is being offered that says America sucks?
I'm betting Rethinking Columbus doesn't paint a rosy picture of America.
America isn't always a rosy place. That isn't the same thing as saying that America sucks!

Thanks for confirming that you are for banning books.

You people really have no idea what this program was teaching, or why the schools and the courts decided it was unacceptable, do you?

By the way, the books in question are still available in the school library, despite the inflammatory use of the word "banned". What they're "banned" from is teachers using them as textbooks in the classrooms. Anyone want to be outraged by the school district and the Arizona Department of Education having the GALL to control what books are used in classrooms and what the curriculum is? :eusa_hand:

If you want to fill me in go ahead...

My question is why is telling the truth about columbus considered "anti-american"? Let's not even talk about the book. Let's talk about Columbus in general, why is telling the unvarnished truth good or bad always considered "anti-american" or "tearing down" Columbus?

If it's the truth...Whats the problem?

They were teaching that America stole the land from Mexico.
It had nothing to do with Columbus.

I'm sure they didnt name it "rethinking columbus" fer nuttin

You people really have no idea what this program was teaching, or why the schools and the courts decided it was unacceptable, do you?

By the way, the books in question are still available in the school library, despite the inflammatory use of the word "banned". What they're "banned" from is teachers using them as textbooks in the classrooms. Anyone want to be outraged by the school district and the Arizona Department of Education having the GALL to control what books are used in classrooms and what the curriculum is? :eusa_hand:

My question is why is telling the truth about columbus considered "anti-american"? Let's not even talk about the book. Let's talk about Columbus in general, why is telling the unvarnished truth good or bad always considered "anti-american" or "tearing down" Columbus?

They were teaching that America stole the land from Mexico.
It had nothing to do with Columbus.

Which is really funny for a class being taught in Arizona, since Arizona played no part in the Mexican-American War, and was PURCHASED from Mexico after the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo.

Why are you applauding lying about Americas history? I mean, if the history of America leads you to believe that America sucks. Is it the teachers responsibility to reverse your conclusion you draw from the facts?

Oh I see, your intent wasnt to educate people on what its about, your goal was to pretend to be smarter than everyone else via snark.

There is nothing racist aboiu the books but I don't think the classroom is the place for them. Altho they do tell another side of history about Columbus that some people don't want to rememer and rather forget. Get the books for your chldren and let them read them as an asignment. Truth about history is never taught. When a bood is banned I buy it and read it. I was never taught anything about Native American in school. Nothing worthwihle about slavery, etc. ALways a white mans side and he lies.

I believe chlldren should be taught the bad with the good in history. Santa Clause continue to be a lie and bunnies don't lay colored eggs. All the atrocites of america shoud be taught. When it is taught it is considered racist. We are running over with atrocities against other human being inorder to gain power

Last edited:

Oh I see, your intent wasnt to educate people on what its about, your goal was to pretend to be smarter than everyone else via snark.

You're connected to the Internet. Try going and getting informed about a subject BEFORE coming in here and running your gums about it, rather than shooting your mouth off, and then expecting me to provide you with a primer.

To know WHY the schools and courts decided it was unacceptable just look it up. Race based studies designed to incite violence INCITED violence!

Racial tensions brew at Tucson high school - KTAR.com

Have you ever read Rethinking Columbus?

let me guess...
it turns out the Aztecs weren't cuting out people's hearts and pushing them down the pyramid...they were performing open-heart-surgery.
...then Colombus floated in and killed everyone.

:)

Columbus never encountered the Aztecs. He DID sanction the cutting off of hands of the island natives who didn't bring the Spaniards enough gold. Even the Catholic Church protested his vicious ways.

Pffft. Amateurs. They ought to do like the left does and try to mandate the way people think.

:rolleyes:

That is EXACTLY what they are doing. Not surprised to find you applauding them.

:lol:

Telling the truth about Columbus' methods = America Sucks? Isn't that odd, considering that America didn't even exist yet. :eusa_whistle:

On January 10, U.S. Circuit Court Judge A. Wallace Tashima ruled against a group of Tucson Unified School District (TUSD) teachers who sued to re-instate so-called Raza Studies (or Mexican-American Studies), claiming their 1st Amendment rights had been violated.

The teachers filed the suit after a state law (HB 2281) was passed banning any curriculum which promotes “resentment toward a race or class of people,” or “promotes the overthrow” of the government.

The measure effectively put an end to Raza Studies.

They were teaching political hate speech.
One of the textbooks which has been used in Raza Studies is entitled “Occupied America,” which was written by Rodolfo Acuña and includes a speech given by activist and university professor Jose Angel Gutierrez in which he says: “We have got to eliminate the gringo, and what I mean by that is if the worst comes to the worst, we have got to kill him,” (pg. 323).

The book also talks about the need for Mexico to re-take seven states in the Southwestern United States, often referred to as “Aztlan.”

The following rather shocking quotes are taken directly from Occupied America (pg. 167):

“Supporters would execute all white males over age 16,” (also known as the Plan of San Diego).

“The Southwest would become a Chicano nation.”

In May 2011, the woman who can easily be credited for exposing the hatred being taught in Tucson’s public schools, Laura Leighton, attended a TUSD school board meeting and read excerpts from several books being used to teach children as young as 9-years-old.

Leighton read:

-“Hard drugs and drug culture is an invention of the gringo because he has no culture.”

-“We have to destroy capitalism and we have to help 5/6 of the world to destroy capitalism in order to equal all peoples’ lives.”

“The Declaration of Independence states that we the people have the right to revolution…the right to overrule the government…”

“Any country based on capitalism is based on greed…”

the district banned books, suggested by a Mexico group, that try to paint America an an oppressor.
the teachers have been instructed not to teach any similar ideology.

i figure the ACLU will be there in about 5 minutes to make sure the anti-American propaganda is undisturbed.

As I mentioned to Biggers when we spoke, the last time a book of mine was outlawed was during the state of emergency in apartheid South Africa in 1986, when the regime there banned the curriculum I’d written, Strangers in Their Own Country, likely because it included excerpts from a speech by then-imprisoned Nelson Mandela. Confronting massive opposition at home and abroad, the white minority government feared for its life in 1986. It’s worth asking what the school authorities in Arizona fear today.

Rethinking Columbus Banned in Tucson « Rethinking Schools Blog

Forum List

Back