Tuscon Arizona school district bans racial hatred books

Book bannings in a red state.

Shocker!

Pffft. Amateurs. They ought to do like the left does and try to mandate the way people think.

:rolleyes:

That is EXACTLY what they are doing. Not surprised to find you applauding them.

:lol:
Yes, good Gaea! It's terrible that kids can't be exposed to the idea that America sucks! That's the only true enlightened opinion!

Pffft. Amateurs. They ought to do like the left does and try to mandate the way people think.

Yes, good Gaea! It's terrible that kids can't be exposed to the idea that America sucks! That's the only true enlightened opinion!

Why are you applauding lying about Americas history? I mean, if the history of America leads you to believe that America sucks. Is it the teachers responsibility to reverse your conclusion you draw from the facts?

Lying about Columbus helps no one and worst...it's not true. Why promote that?

the district banned books, suggested by a Mexico group, that try to paint America an an oppressor.
the teachers have been instructed not to teach any similar ideology.

i figure the ACLU will be there in about 5 minutes to make sure the anti-American propaganda is undisturbed.

I certainly hope so. This is the United States and we have a Constitution protecting our right to free speech.

There is never a reason or an excuse to ban ANY book.

The colleges' dual-credit programs will correct that and other such omissions in Arizona.

I can't believe they banned Rethinking Columbus.

CORRECTION: Actually, I can believe that "Arizona" would ban a book like Rethinking Columbus.

I have no problem with teaching this curriculum at a college level.
That being said, if school districts are going to teach to 'overthrow America' (garnered by the links provided) then they should also teach the flip side, at the same time.

What does the Prof say?

Well, the law in Arizona is that they shouldn't teach EITHER side of racism and racial hatred, so there you go.

What book is being offered that says America sucks?

I can't believe they banned Rethinking Columbus.

CORRECTION: Actually, I can believe that "Arizona" would ban a book like Rethinking Columbus.

I have no problem with teaching this curriculum at a college level.
That being said, if school districts are going to teach to 'overthrow America' (garnered by the links provided) then they should also teach the flip side, at the same time.

What does the Prof say?

Have you ever read Rethinking Columbus?

Apparently, the judge did, and decided it was race-baiting crap.

The studies were suppose to be about their heritage not political hate speech
LaRaza teachers were teaching that America stole the land from Mexico and teaching them to hate America.
This is why it was banned.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT4FHUet988]'Americans Stole Our Land' - AZ Senator Reads Shocking Letter from Teacher - YouTube[/ame]

I reject the characterization that any books were actually 'banned'.

I'm pretty sure anybody can go find these books at a bookstore or a library and read them without fear of legal repercussion. It's been a long long time since any books were actually banned folks.

What we're talking about here is establishing a public school curriculum. Clearly not every book ever written is suitable for such a purpose and judgment must be exercised. You're free to disagree with said judgment in this case or any other. But screaming about book banning and censorship just makes you an uneducated retard.

the district banned books, suggested by a Mexico group, that try to paint America an an oppressor.

i figure the ACLU will be there in about 5 minutes to make sure the anti-American propaganda is undisturbed.

I certainly hope so. This is the United States and we have a Constitution protecting our right to free speech.

^Oh look, an uneducated retard. :thup:

Last edited:
Poor law. Fair and balanced, which means inclusion of several points of view, would make for a better course. I imagine the teachers will find a way to "supplement" the class.

Why are you applauding lying about Americas history? I mean, if the history of America leads you to believe that America sucks. Is it the teachers responsibility to reverse your conclusion you draw from the facts?

You people really have no idea what this program was teaching, or why the schools and the courts decided it was unacceptable, do you?

By the way, the books in question are still available in the school library, despite the inflammatory use of the word "banned". What they're "banned" from is teachers using them as textbooks in the classrooms. Anyone want to be outraged by the school district and the Arizona Department of Education having the GALL to control what books are used in classrooms and what the curriculum is? :eusa_hand:

You people really have no idea what this program was teaching, or why the schools and the courts decided it was unacceptable, do you?

By the way, the books in question are still available in the school library, despite the inflammatory use of the word "banned". What they're "banned" from is teachers using them as textbooks in the classrooms. Anyone want to be outraged by the school district and the Arizona Department of Education having the GALL to control what books are used in classrooms and what the curriculum is? :eusa_hand:

If you want to fill me in go ahead...

My question is why is telling the truth about columbus considered "anti-american"? Let's not even talk about the book. Let's talk about Columbus in general, why is telling the unvarnished truth good or bad always considered "anti-american" or "tearing down" Columbus?

If it's the truth...Whats the problem?

Seems like you're more upset about kids not getting proper liberal indoctrination than about accurate history.

It's one conservatives cite all the time. After all, conservatives do all the whining on this board.

Oh? So you think The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion should be used as a classroom text, do you?

My question is why is telling the truth about columbus considered "anti-american"? Let's not even talk about the book. Let's talk about Columbus in general, why is telling the unvarnished truth good or bad always considered "anti-american" or "tearing down" Columbus?

They were teaching that America stole the land from Mexico.
It had nothing to do with Columbus.

They were teaching that America stole the land from Mexico. It had nothing to do with Columbus.

I have not read the book, but if the arguments are about the issues girding Onis-Adams Treaty, the Texas Revolution, and the Mexican War, scholars are still not in general agreement, other than the U.S ended up with the land and Mexico did not. If the book is one sided, it belongs in the library as a reference book but not a text book, in my opinion.

Forum List

Back