Turns out 501c4 applications are voluntary. Scandal over.

velvtacheeze

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2013
IRS Tea Party Scandal: Conservative Political Correctness in Action | New Republic

But, in fact, the IRS’s great conservative crackdown is even more innocent than that. It turns out that the applications the conservative groups submitted to the IRS—the ones the agency subsequently combed over, provoking nonstop howling—were unnecessary. The IRS doesn’t require so-called 501c4 organizations to apply for tax-exempt status. If anyone wants to start a social welfare group, they can just do it, then submit the corresponding tax return (form 990) at the end of the year. To be sure, the IRS certainly allows groups to apply for tax-exempt status if they want to make their status official. But the application is completely voluntary, making it a strange basis for an alleged witch hunt.
====================================================

This faux scandal is the most trumped up bunch of nonsense ever. The scandal is how right wing paranoia is given the respect and credibility is gets in the media. It certainly deserves none of it.

The right wing groups flooded the IRS with 501c4 applications that weren't required, then threw a hissyfit when the IRS started to process them according to their procedures.

Seriously, get over the fact that the Left destroyed the Bush Presidency, and with it the GOP's chances of keeping executive power. You're not getting payback. Your side made America worse under Bush, and the voters don't want conservatives back in the White House. This "scandal" won't make a difference.

374209_562154513807343_1826010538_n.png

IRS Tea Party Scandal: Conservative Political Correctness in Action | New Republic

But, in fact, the IRS’s great conservative crackdown is even more innocent than that. It turns out that the applications the conservative groups submitted to the IRS—the ones the agency subsequently combed over, provoking nonstop howling—were unnecessary. The IRS doesn’t require so-called 501c4 organizations to apply for tax-exempt status. If anyone wants to start a social welfare group, they can just do it, then submit the corresponding tax return (form 990) at the end of the year. To be sure, the IRS certainly allows groups to apply for tax-exempt status if they want to make their status official. But the application is completely voluntary, making it a strange basis for an alleged witch hunt.

This faux scandal is the most trumped up bunch of nonsense ever. The scandal is how right wing paranoia is given the respect and credibility is gets in the media. It certainly deserves none of it.

The right wing groups flooded the IRS with 501c4 applications that weren't required, then threw a hissyfit when the IRS started to process them according to their procedures.

Seriously, get over the fact that the Left destroyed the Bush Presidency, and with it the GOP's chances of keeping executive power. You're not getting payback. Your side made America worse under Bush, and the voters don't want conservatives back in the White House. This "scandal" won't make a difference.

...unclear on the concept.

Try addressing a subject you know something about. This is not one of them.

A bunch of roly-poly bumpkins think they have to file for tax exempt status, fill out a form that no one is required to fill out, and then explode in anger when the IRS follows the procedure for processing the forms.

Unbelievable. No wonder Mitt lost. No wonder McCain lost. No wonder Bush's Presidency was a flop. You guys are a bunch of stupid idiots.

Hmmm

Does that mean that all these Liberal 501C(3) groups are filled with stupid people also?

Equality
American Civil Liberties Union

Gray Panthers
Harmful to Minors: The Perils of Protecting Children From Sex by Judith Levine
Escape From Childhood by John Holt

EMILY's List (fundraising for pro-choice women candidates)
Feminist Majority Foundation
MADRE
Women's Action for New Directions
Women's International League for Peace and Freedom
Women Leaders Online

National origin
American Indian Movement [1]
Fourth World Rising [2]

Race
Black Commentator
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People [3]

Religion
Americans United for Separation of Church and State
American Atheists
American Humanist Association
Interfaith Alliance

Sexual orientation
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation
Human Rights Campaign
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians and Gays

Species
Animal Welfare Institute
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
The Humane Society of the United States

Foundations
Acra Foundation
Glaser Progress Foundation
Nathan Cummings Foundation
Otto Haas Charitable Trust
Overbrook Foundation
Park Foundation
Quixote Foundation
Schumann Center for Media and Democracy

Freedom
American Civil Liberties Union [4]

Drugs
Drug Policy Alliance [5]
Marijuana Policy Project [6]

Expression
American Booksellers Foundation for Free Expression
American Library Association, Office for Intellectual Freedom
Boston Coalition for Freedom of Expression
Feminists for Free Expression
Free Expression Policy Project [7]
Free Expression Network
Free Speech Coalition
Freedom to Read Foundation
First Amendment Center
First Amendment Project
National Coalition Against Censorship
Online Policy Group
Peacefire

Reproductive
Planned Parenthood
NARAL Pro-Choice America
Voters for Choice

I have said before and will say it again. Some just have no brains..

Hmmm

Does that mean that all these Liberal 501C(3) groups are filled with stupid people also?

Equality
American Civil Liberties Union

Gray Panthers
Harmful to Minors: The Perils of Protecting Children From Sex by Judith Levine
Escape From Childhood by John Holt

EMILY's List (fundraising for pro-choice women candidates)
Feminist Majority Foundation
MADRE
Women's Action for New Directions
Women's International League for Peace and Freedom
Women Leaders Online

National origin
American Indian Movement [1]
Fourth World Rising [2]

Race
Black Commentator
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People [3]

Religion
Americans United for Separation of Church and State
American Atheists
American Humanist Association
Interfaith Alliance

Sexual orientation
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation
Human Rights Campaign
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians and Gays

Species
Animal Welfare Institute
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
The Humane Society of the United States

Foundations
Acra Foundation
Glaser Progress Foundation
Nathan Cummings Foundation
Otto Haas Charitable Trust
Overbrook Foundation
Park Foundation
Quixote Foundation
Schumann Center for Media and Democracy

Freedom
American Civil Liberties Union [4]

Drugs
Drug Policy Alliance [5]
Marijuana Policy Project [6]

Expression
American Booksellers Foundation for Free Expression
American Library Association, Office for Intellectual Freedom
Boston Coalition for Freedom of Expression
Feminists for Free Expression
Free Expression Policy Project [7]
Free Expression Network
Free Speech Coalition
Freedom to Read Foundation
First Amendment Center
First Amendment Project
National Coalition Against Censorship
Online Policy Group
Peacefire

Reproductive
Planned Parenthood
NARAL Pro-Choice America
Voters for Choice

No, they're aren't stupid at all. They haven't irrationally flipped out over the IRS processing their application according to procedure, like all the Tea Party groups have, what with all the paranoid birthers and gun nut wackadoodledoos that make up their membership.

odd

i didn't realize president obama was a conservative...because he is outraged over this

poor cheesey liberal, whining it is just the right when obama went on national television and said americans have a right to angry about this and vowed to make it so this won't happen again. the director resigned....

but this dopey liberal says this isn't a scandal

:rolleyes:

I see. Well, I guess I have a few questions:

1. Why has Obama come out so strongly against what has happened?
2. Why was Miller pushed out?
3. Why are other Democrat politicians coming out against it?
4. And of course, are you going to pretend that this would be no big deal if left wing groups had been targeted? Really?

Try addressing a subject you know something about. This is not one of them.

A bunch of roly-poly bumpkins think they have to file for tax exempt status, fill out a form that no one is required to fill out, and then explode in anger when the IRS follows the procedure for processing the forms.

Unbelievable. No wonder Mitt lost. No wonder McCain lost. No wonder Bush's Presidency was a flop. You guys are a bunch of stupid idiots.

Oh ok, so they dont need the form, they're just automatically accepted?

if it's so ho hum, why were they given all these hoops to go through?

did you talking points combat that last question?

fill out a form that no one is required to fill out,
Let me get this straight.

The IRS will take thousands of dollars of revenues (or even hundreds of thousands, depending on how high your revenue is) from you unless you apply for tax-exempt status... and when you do, they harass you with fifty-page questionnaires (unless you are a liberal), delay your application for years (unless you are a liberal), and send confidential information about you to various liberal news outlets).... and if you don't, they take those huge amounts of moey from you...

...and you say that it's YOUR fault since you "elected" to fill out the form?

I can see it now. "Nice little group you got there. Be a shame in anything happened to it. But fill out these forms, and we'll make sure nobody does bad things (like taking $thousands from you). And we'll make sure WE don't do those bad things to you, too, kapisch?"

and then explode in anger when the IRS follows the procedure for processing the forms.
So the "procedure for processing the forms" includes delaying you for months or years (unless you're a liberal), and sending confidential information about you that the IRS got from those forms to various liberal news outlets during campaign season?

Do you people have any idea how twisted and warped you have to be to believe that, or even suggest it?

:cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

I am forced to agree with this.

Last edited:
odd

i didn't realize president obama was a conservative...because he is outraged over this

poor cheesey liberal, whining it is just the right when obama went on national television and said americans have a right to angry about this and vowed to make it so this won't happen again. the director resigned....

but this dopey liberal says this isn't a scandal

:rolleyes:

Crazy, isn't it?

The IRS did an internal investigation. They apologized. They wouldn't do that if they had been simply following standard procedure. Obama said their conduct was outrageous and he fired people. The left always leaves that part out when they bash others for being outraged.

I think the left is just so freaked out about all the scandals and they are doing their best to minimize all of them.

Plus, the apps are voluntary if a non-profit group wants to be tax exempt. Of course they want to be tax exempt when they don't have profits to pay taxes. If they don't get tax exempt status, they can't last because taxes would destroy the groups. So, it's more of a necessary move and the IRS knew that if they messed with them long enough, some might give up and the groups would disband, which was likely the goal.

Then we have the IRS telling pro-life groups that they couldn't get their tax exempt status unless they signed an agreement not to protest leftist groups, like Planned Parenthood. They were just making up their own rules.

Last edited:

The IRS will take thousands of dollars of revenues (or even hundreds of thousands, depending on how high your revenue is) from you unless you apply for tax-exempt status... and when you do, they harass you with fifty-page questionnaires (unless you are a liberal), delay your application for years (unless you are a liberal), and send confidential information about you to various liberal news outlets).... and if you don't, they take those huge amounts of moey from you...

I can see it now. "Nice little group you got there. Be a shame in anything happened to it. But fill out these forms, and we'll make sure nobody does bad things (like taking $thousands from you). And we'll make sure WE don't do those bad things to you, too, kapisch?"

and then explode in anger when the IRS follows the procedure for processing the forms.
So the "procedure for processing the forms" includes delaying you for months or years (unless you're a liberal), and sending confidential information about you that the IRS got from those forms to various liberal news outlets during campaign season?

Do you people have any idea how twisted and warped you have to be to believe that, or even suggest it?

The whole scandal is a fraud, and based entirely on right wing paranoia. There is no requirement to fill out the forms and answer the questions. The right wing groups were too stupid to know this, and freaked out about the basic procedures for granting official tax exempt status.

The whole scandal is a fraud, and based entirely on right wing paranoia. There is no requirement to fill out the forms and answer the questions. The right wing groups were too stupid to know this, and freaked out about the basic procedures for granting official tax exempt status.

then the irs was mismanaged as they wasted their time responding back with anything other than a form letter saying something like' your request is not necessary for the status you seek' etc.... and then dumping the docs...

you might want to call the WH with this scoop and get Obama off the hook....

Comments: 202-456-1111

Switchboard: 202-456-1414

let me know how that works out ....

if the whole scandal is a fraud and based on right wing paranoia....why did obama say it was outrageous and that americans had a right to be angry?

i predict cheezetroll will avoid addressing this and simply continue to spout lies

Is Obama too stupid to know that? He expressed outrage and fired people over this. Either include him in your bashing or shut the hell up.

The IRS apologized and there wouldn't have been any need for that or an internal investigation if people had followed the law.

Forum List

Back