Turning The Tables

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
How many times have I stepped up to help parents regarding schools? Private or public?

I didn't post this right when it happened, but I think somewhere I posted about the whacko music teacher we had this year. My class, the class from hell, made her cry 4 times that i can recollect, once as they were getting ready for the Christmas concert. She quit, 2 weeks ago.

My daughter is filling in for the absence, mostly to give teachers the planning periods they need to shut down classroom. I've posted about my daughter before. My take prior to this mess: she's extremely gifted regarding music, I knew that from infancy. She is also learning disabled, regarding reading, writing, math, and memory. Her giftedness at music far outshines her limitations, which are noticiable. She is THAT good!

Ok, I've been at this school 8 years. She's been there today, for the 3rd time. Parents are coming in the office to say how they are impressed with her helping the children with self esteem and discipline.

For crying out loud.

In 4th grade she told the kids to stop picking on a very weird kid. They failed to heed her warning. She returned them to class, told them to put their heads down and think about what Jesus would suggest, for 20 minutes. (Adult alert, the kid being 'picked on' is flamming whack job, not sure gay, but definately one to bring to law enforcement's attention).

Then she went to kindergarten, trying to pick up the song from last lesson, on rainbows. Seems one kid learned a different song regarding rainbows. Wanted to sing, but freaked in front of class. My daughter, (note pride), then began a discussion on 'stage fright' and the normalcy of such in any subject. She told the children that while singing tended to put one 'alone', so did reports on books, science information, and history.

The 'rainbow girl', received forced 'applause' for being brave enough to suggest outside Ms. Kendall's lesson. Everyone and his brother in kindergarten then wanted to do likewise. She let a few of them up, eventually the original 'rainbow girl' was ready to share.

When she was done, which my daughter could NOT hear because of how quiet the child sang, my daughter had the kids applaud, though she said, "Because you were quiet, I couldn't really hear the lyrics, so I can't teach this to the rest of the class. It's so cool that you learned a related song though.

With that, 28 kids wanted to sing solos. An example of why non-academic subjects are crucial to children.

Forum List

Back