Turning down the volume on TV commercials

☭proletarian☭;1858632 said:
There is the right to control your own property, and that's what this is an example of.

The thread title is the same as the title of the article, I didn't choose the title. It makes sense though. As Proletarian has pointed out, there is a difference between recorded volumes and playback volumes.
MY right to control MY property (the television's loudness) is the only right in question here.

You do not enjoy a civil right that infringes on someone else's civil right. Therefore, MY property is off limits to the advertiser's control.

Again... contrary to what The Outer Limits said, they don't really control your tv. Stop freaking out and take toe foil off your head.
You must be feeling emotional today...need help?

Yes, you have the right to control your property. You can mute the television, or cancel your service.

The airwaves, however, are the property of who paid for them, and they can control their property.

Nope. The airwaves (at least in legal theory -- or legal fiction?) belong to ALL of US!

We permit the gubmint to lease the airwaves to the commercial communication companies. That's a license!

Licenses can be CONDITIONED as WE, the owners, deem appropriate.

And the conditions are not static. They can be amended (such as when the licenses come up for renewal).

And where in the Constitution do we permit the government to do this?
The bit about providing for the national defense. Without an accessible communication system there is no national defense.

Those airwaves belong to the PEOPLE.

The equipment and content belong to their respective (mostly private) owners. Those signals only effect you if you tune your equipment to them.
We are just saying, lower your voice!

Lower the volume yourself. It's not that hard.

MY right to control MY property (the television's loudness) is the only right in question here.

You do not enjoy a civil right that infringes on someone else's civil right. Therefore, MY property is off limits to the advertiser's control.

Yes, you have the right to control your property. You can mute the television, or cancel your service.

The airwaves, however, are the property of who paid for them, and they can control their property.
I pay for the airwaves...and so do you.

Uh... no... You pay for equipment (the TV) you tune to receive the signals put out by other equipment owned almost entirely by private entities. In the case of cable/dish, you also pay for someone to rely that owned data to your equipment for you to enjoy.

Bill, how can the masses own the radiation emitted by equipment owned by private entities?

Nope. The airwaves (at least in legal theory -- or legal fiction?) belong to ALL of US!

We permit the gubmint to lease the airwaves to the commercial communication companies. That's a license!

And the conditions are not static. They can be amended (such as when the licenses come up for renewal).

The bit about providing for the national defense. Without an accessible communication system there is no national defense.
''

wait.. loud commercials on Fox prevent the Army from communicating?

Are you retarded?

The government regulating the airwaves is not national defense.

☭proletarian☭;1858657 said:
''

wait.. loud commercials on Fox prevent the Army from communicating?

Are you retarded?
Yes. How does it feel to have a retarded person make you look like a fool?

The government should butt out, if you don't like the loudness of the commercials complain to the advertisers or stations, and for crying out loud learn how to use the mute button and/or volume control. Problem solved.

I have a pretty good surround sound system...not the bass booming crap, but good sound at low, mid and high levels.

I hate it when your watching a program late at night, and at this point expect the commercials will be so damn loud I have to turn it down. Personally, I am glad they will stop this crap, but did it have to go this high to make it stop?

Last edited:
:lol:

KKen is really cracking me up with all this pseudo-intellectual unconstitutional schtick. :lol:

Perhaps he didn't do his homework so he doesn't know that the government already regulates the volume on television commercials, has for a long time. This bill is about re-writing the regulations.

Current regulation stipulates that the commercial can be as loud as the loudest part of the program on which the ad is placed. Even if say, that's a loud explosion. And so the ad makers have been exploiting this rule to make commercials ludicrously loud relative to the program you're watching. This bill seeks to remedy a poorly stated regulation. It's hardly precedent setting.

I'm glad you're amused.

You should be glad to be slightly less ignornant.

I repeat: (especially for the nitwits like KKen and toiletarian who seem especially ignorant)

The government already regulates the volume on television commercials, has for a long time. This bill is about re-writing the regulations.

Current regulation stipulates that the commercial can be as loud as the loudest part of the program on which the ad is placed. Even if say, that's a loud explosion. And so the ad makers have been exploiting this rule to make commercials ludicrously loud relative to the program you're watching. This bill seeks to remedy a poorly stated regulation. It's hardly precedent setting

The government should butt out, if you don't like the loudness of the commercials complain to the advertisers or stations, and for crying out loud learn how to use the mute button and/or volume control. Problem solved.

There should be no need for us to have to grab the remote for every fucking commercial break. If the advertisers would show a little responsibility and a touch of class, they wouldn't be booming their insipid noise at us.

But if they won't do it for the right reasons (and obviously the fuckers refuse to do that) then I say it's perfectly appropriate to impose it on them. Those are my ear drums. And those are OUR airwaves they are using. And if they don't like the imposition of such regulations -- too bad. This is not a Constitutional issue.

There should be no need for us to have to grab the remote for every fucking commercial break. If the advertisers would show a little responsibility and a touch of class, they wouldn't be booming their insipid noise at us.

But if they won't do it for the right reasons (and obviously the fuckers refuse to do that) then I say it's perfectly appropriate to impose it on them. Those are my ear drums. And those are OUR airwaves they are using. And if they don't like the imposition of such regulations -- too bad. This is not a Constitutional issue.

I have to give credit where it's due and this is 100% correct and well said. :clap2:

Bullshit!

I pay these fuckers in Washington a lot of money every year and I want something useful for it in return.

I repeat: (especially for the nitwits like KKen and toiletarian who seem especially ignorant)

The government already regulates the volume on television commercials, has for a long time. This bill is about re-writing the regulations.

Current regulation stipulates that the commercial can be as loud as the loudest part of the program on which the ad is placed. Even if say, that's a loud explosion. And so the ad makers have been exploiting this rule to make commercials ludicrously loud relative to the program you're watching. This bill seeks to remedy a poorly stated regulation. It's hardly precedent setting

And what exactly does that prove? That they're already violating the Constitution? One violation of the Constitution doesn't make another violation ok.

Everything the federal government does is a constitutional issue, and if they're not given authority by the Constitution then they're not supposed to be doing it.

Forum List

Back