Turning down the volume on TV commercials

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
Reporting from Washington - Rep. Anna G. Eshoo (D-Menlo Park) wanted advertisers to hear her loud and clear. So she introduced the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation -- or CALM -- Act, aimed at lowering the volume on televised sales pitches.

"In my 17 years in the House of Representatives, I've never carried a bill which has been received with so much enthusiasm," Eshoo said. "Only the do-not-call list has even come close."

Turning down the volume on TV commercials -- latimes.com

Unconstitutional waste of time.

Joe Barton thinks this is a waste of time but BCS playoff system making is not. :lol:

It shouldn't surprise us that politicians have no basic set of values.

Doesn't surprise me one bit that these politicians have their little pet ideas that entire purpose is to gain more votes. They would stop pulling this stuff however if Americans stopped falling for the "shiny nickel" so to speak if you understand what I'm saying.

Reporting from Washington - Rep. Anna G. Eshoo (D-Menlo Park) wanted advertisers to hear her loud and clear. So she introduced the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation -- or CALM -- Act, aimed at lowering the volume on televised sales pitches.

"In my 17 years in the House of Representatives, I've never carried a bill which has been received with so much enthusiasm," Eshoo said. "Only the do-not-call list has even come close."

I love the idea.

I love the idea.

So you believe the federal government is granted authority by the Constitution to regulate how loud a commercial on television is?

I love the idea.

So you believe the federal government is granted authority by the Constitution to regulate how loud a commercial on television is?

Yes of course, who else could do it?

Well whether or not they're the only ones who could do it is irrelevant to whether they're authorized by the Constitution, which they're not. The states could regulate the noise level of commercials individually, or we could realize that it's not important. If you don't want to hear the commercials you can mute your television. That's what I do.

Well whether or not they're the only ones who could do it is irrelevant to whether they're authorized by the Constitution, which they're not. The states could regulate the noise level of commercials individually, or we could realize that it's not important. If you don't want to hear the commercials you can mute your television. That's what I do.

I do but there are noise laws in your community, why should they be allowed to blatently disturb the peace in your home? I think it's rude and I would never buy anything from whoever uses these ugly marketing tactics.

I notice it in Ford commercials and one funeral home commercial here. So, they got my attention but the result is negative.

I do but there are noise laws in your community, why should they be allowed to blatently disturb the peace in your home? I think it's rude and I would never buy anything from whoever uses these ugly marketing tactics.

I notice it in Ford commercials and one funeral home commercial here. So, they got my attention but the result is negative.

That's your prerogative. However, that doesn't justify the federal government doing something it has no authority to do.

this is not a problem for me as I don't own a TV.

But for those who do, I really don't think it is a good idea to allow the government too much control over the content.

Fuck border security! Who cares about the economy? Who needs a budget?

What's important is that some loudmouth keeps trying to sell me a slapchop...

Polk has a case that Congress can say things should be measured using decibels- but if he thinks his post supports constitutionality of the bill, he's an idiot.

I love the idea.

The Do not call list is perhaps the best thing congress has done in 30 years.

the feds regulate noise intensity already. Sonic booms. Anyone else here old enough to remember when they were a regular occurance?

they crank it up because they know we take off during commericals. to the kitchen or bathroom. they just wanna make sure you can still hear it. waaaay down there. :lol:

Forum List

Back