Turn down the volume!

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A stunning number of teens have lost a little bit of their hearing -- nearly one in five -- and the problem has increased substantially in recent years, a new national study has found.

Some experts are urging teenagers to turn down the volume on their digital music players, suggesting loud music through earbuds may be to blame -- although hard evidence is lacking. They warn that slight hearing loss can cause problems in school and set the stage for hearing aids in later life.

"Our hope is we can encourage people to be careful," said the study's senior author Dr. Gary Curhan of Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.

The researchers analyzed data on 12- to 19-year-olds from a nationwide health survey. They compared hearing loss in nearly 3,000 kids tested from 1988-94 to nearly 1,800 kids tested over 2005-06.

The prevalence of hearing loss increased from about 15 percent to 19.5 percent.

http://www.nj1015.com/Study---1-in-5-US-Teenagers-Has-Slight-Hearing-Los/7931290

'You're lips move but I can't hear what you're saying...."

Not good. Not good at all... :(

Ha ha. My husband is losing his hearin but refuses to admit it. He claims that I am too "soft spoken" I am a teacher. Teachers are never soft spoken. Lol

Ha ha. My husband is losing his hearin but refuses to admit it. He claims that I am too "soft spoken" I am a teacher. Teachers are never soft spoken. Lol

i've got hearing loss from too much time spent in clubs as a yute.

my daughter was born with a significant hearing loss. we noticed when she was about 2 that if cartoons were on tv, she wanted it louder, but with real people she didn't. turns out she was reading lips.

ironically, she's a musician.

I have no doubt it's due to the stupid fucking MP3 players, etc. Why the hell do they come with max volume so loud it damages the user's hearing?

Hey you dumb assed kids...that hearing loss is irreversible, and it accumulates. You're gonna be deaf by the age of 30 at this rate.

Grrrrr......

I remember when people said the same thing about our walkmans. (I know, I'm dating myself here)

Same studies, similar results as I can recall. The more things change.....

But it sounds so much better when you crank it up!

I have no doubt it's due to the stupid fucking MP3 players, etc. Why the hell do they come with max volume so loud it damages the user's hearing?

Hey you dumb assed kids...that hearing loss is irreversible, and it accumulates. You're gonna be deaf by the age of 30 at this rate.

Grrrrr......

I know...That's what I feel like with all those who stray from God. Isn't it a helpless feeling when you know someone it heading towards danger and they just think it is all about liberty and bliss?

Grrrrr......

I know...That's what I feel like with all those who stray from God. Isn't it a helpless feeling when you know someone it heading towards danger and they just think it is all about liberty and bliss?

You got beat up often as a kid, didn't you?

Grrrrr......

:ahole-1:

What? You're going to have to post a little louder.

Screaming is a vocal technique practiced by the vocalists of many rock music groups. It is most popular in subgenres of hardcore punk, heavy metal, and hard rock among others. While intensity, pitch, and characteristics vary from vocalists to vocalist, screamed vocals generally accompany fast paced music, and are associated with more aggressive musical themes or styles. Usually screaming is introduced most heavily at a song's climax.

Wat? I can't hear you over these songs!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8bg_jxWFgA&feature=related]YouTube - Jock Jams - Lets Get Ready To Rumble (Remix)[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WccfbPQNMbg[/ame]

Now I know how you get through those "Yurt Threads."

:clap2:

1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

Kids? I was on the treadmill the other day, ipod playing, and when I got off my ears were ringing. Had the damn thing too loud and didn't even realize it.

I have hearing loss in my right year, but that happens when your ear drum ruptures.

OOOOO I ruptred my left eardrum (diving), and have hearing loss (20%).

Admit it: Do you roll over on your left side so you cannot hear whoever's laying next to you?

Grrrrr......

:eusa_shifty: .... No, and you?

Forum List

Back