Turkish warplane crashed in Syrian territorial waters

ekrem

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2005
Turkey says warplane lost off Syria

(Reuters) - Turkey said on Friday it had lost contact with one of its military aircraft while it was over the sea off the southeastern coast, and a television station said it had crashed in Syrian territorial waters.

CNN Turk television said Turkey was in contact with the Syrian authorities to get permission to conduct a search for the airmen, although there was no immediate official confirmation.

In a statement, Turkey's military said a search and rescue operation was underway. It lost radar and radio contact with the plane after it took off from Erhac Airport in the eastern province of Malatya, which borders Syria.

Two crew were aboard the F-4 at the time of the crash, the Turkish state news agency Anatolia said, citing Malatya governor Ulvi Saran.

Pro-Iranian Al-Mayadeen television station, which is based in Lebanon, quoted what it said were Turkish sources as saying a jet had been shot down by Syrian air defenses near the border with Turkey. There was no confirmation of that report.
Turkey says warplane lost off Syria | Reuters

Pilots rescued and in good health.

The pilots of a crashed Turkish military plane have been rescued by forces, daily Hürriyet reported.
The pilots, who are in good health, were located in the Mediterranean Sea.

A missing warplane that lost contact with Turkish Armed Forces earlier today crashed in Syrian territorial waters, Doğan news agency has reported.
LOCAL - Pilots rescued from military plane crash: Report

Prime Minister expected to make a statement shortly.
The incident happened when PM was on plane on his way back from Rio.
Plane landed and is now meeting with Interior-, Foreign- and Defense-Minister in addition with Chief of Staff.

Baþbakan'dan güvenlik zirvesi - Hürriyet Gündem

In the plane back from Rio he already confirmed, that Syria shot down the plane and Syria "apologized" for the incident.

Turkey says warplane lost off Syria

(Reuters) - Turkey said on Friday it had lost contact with one of its military aircraft while it was over the sea off the southeastern coast, and a television station said it had crashed in Syrian territorial waters.

CNN Turk television said Turkey was in contact with the Syrian authorities to get permission to conduct a search for the airmen, although there was no immediate official confirmation.

In a statement, Turkey's military said a search and rescue operation was underway. It lost radar and radio contact with the plane after it took off from Erhac Airport in the eastern province of Malatya, which borders Syria.

Two crew were aboard the F-4 at the time of the crash, the Turkish state news agency Anatolia said, citing Malatya governor Ulvi Saran.

Pro-Iranian Al-Mayadeen television station, which is based in Lebanon, quoted what it said were Turkish sources as saying a jet had been shot down by Syrian air defenses near the border with Turkey. There was no confirmation of that report.
Turkey says warplane lost off Syria | Reuters
Incompetent Turks should stick to riding their ancestors - donkeys. Maybe they should learn from the Israelis, their waplanes do circles around Assad's home and give him the finger.

Syrian Air Defense = Oxymoron.

At the airport, after returning from Los-Cabos / Rio, the PM made a press-conference:

- not clear what brought the plane down
- not clear if it was shot down
- pilots are still being searched
- there's no confirmation about press-reports, that the pilots were captured
- there's no apology from Syria like it was reported in press

He said, that he'll meet with related Ministers and Army, and then there will be information about the questions.

The square is where the plane "crashed". Orange province is the plane's home-base.
c21c1b552aae4235b3079e0.jpg

Incompetent Turks should stick to riding their ancestors - donkeys. Maybe they should learn from the Israelis, their waplanes do circles around Assad's home and give him the finger.

Subject is not Israel and no one asks Israel to express its opinion on Syria's future, including which guys will come to power in Damascus. :eusa_whistle:

Subject is not Israel and no one asks Israel to express its opinion on Syria's future, including which guys will come to power in Damascus. :eusa_whistle:
Subject is Turkish incompetence. If Syria can down a Turkish warplane the Turks are in deep shit. Israel violates Syrian airspace at will. It is not even considered a challenge.

It's confirmed, that the Syrians shot down the plane.

http://www.bbm.gov.tr/Forms/pgNewsDetail.aspx?Id= 2858&Type=1

After evaluation of data provided by the relevant institutions and as a result of information obtained within the framework of the joint search and rescue operations, it is understood, that our aircraft was brought down by Syria.

The search and rescue work for the pilots is still ongoing.

Turkey, following full clarification of the incident will show its final stance, and will take the steps to be taken decisively.

It is still not clear if the incident happened within Syrian Airspace.

Subject is Turkish incompetence. If Syria can down a Turkish warplane the Turks are in deep shit. Israel violates Syrian airspace at will. It is not even considered a challenge.

It sounds like no one is sure what happened yet.

Anyway you put it though an F4 Phantom is an ancient air platform. They were used in Vietnam a half century ago. I would think even the Cubans could shoot down one of those.

It sounds like no one is sure what happened yet.

Anyway you put it though an F4 Phantom is an ancient air platform. They were used in Vietnam a half century ago. I would think even the Cubans could shoot down one of those.

It's officially confirmed, that Syria shot down the Aircraft.
It is not clear from the statements if the Aircraft entered Syrian Airspace, and with what it was shot down (Air-to-Air or Ground-to-Air missiles).

Turkey is harboring the terrorists on the border that are massacring Syrian civilians.

Good to see Syria putting their S-300 AA system to good use.

I'd like to see more.

It's confirmed, that the Syrians shot down the plane.

http://www.bbm.gov.tr/Forms/pgNewsDetail.aspx?Id= 2858&Type=1

After evaluation of data provided by the relevant institutions and as a result of information obtained within the framework of the joint search and rescue operations, it is understood, that our aircraft was brought down by Syria.

The search and rescue work for the pilots is still ongoing.

Turkey, following full clarification of the incident will show its final stance, and will take the steps to be taken decisively.

It is still not clear if the incident happened within Syrian Airspace.
Therefore confirming the Turks incompetence.

I'd like to see more.

The aircraft is a reconaissance configuration, which was modernized in 2010:
Flightglobal.com | Turkey accepts first Aselsan-modified F-4E Phantom
It's not the kind of aircraft used to destroy these Anti-Air installations and it was not the mission to destroy Anti-Air installations. The Aircraft was over water in the Mediteranean.
Depending on interpretation of this incident (Act of war) by the Government the Airforce would fly such bombing missions, and these kind of installations would be destroyed with cruise-missiles. But at this point at this hour with the released statement we are not yet.

Good to see Syria putting their S-300 AA system to good use.

S-300 is also in the posession of Turkey (bought from Belarus) and they're used in multi-national Airforce exercises in Konya.

“I asked about the S-300 (source tracks a lot of defense deals for Jane's). He doesn't think the Russians will give it to the Iranians. Besides, he said... Israel and Turkey have been collaborating very closely on the S-300s….The gist of what he said is that Turkey has been cracking the S-300 since the Crete sale and has been sharing intel on the S-300 with the Israelis to ensure that they retain an advantage over Iran should Iran get them from the Russians.

“SOURCE DESCRIPTION: MX301 - Former Mexican cop, Latam military analyst, writes for Jane's; SOURCE RELIABILITY: A
WikiLeaks: Israel Has Codes for Iran

It is not clear at this point what shot down the Aircraft.
Could also be that the Russians have shipped in other equipment lately as there exists a more advanced version the S-300 (S-400).
It is also not clear at this point (at least for the public) if this incident happened within Syrian Airspace of the Mediteranean.

"The Aircraft was over water in the Mediteranean."

Syrian territorial waters.

Let's see the Turks pull that stunt again. Like i said, I'd like to see more.

In that Turkey is harboring, financing and arming terrorists, Syria is well within its rights to strike pre-emptively.

With any luck, they'll take out some Xews and CIA officers along the border.

You'd like to see more, but you'll probably not get the pictures/stories you are hoping for.

You'd like to see more, but you'll probably not get the pictures/stories you are hoping for.

Now that Russian troops are there I think I'll see exactly the pictures/stories I'm hoping for.

Sorry, but this isn't going to be another bar-mitzvah in Libya.

Trust me.

In that Turkey is harboring, financing and arming terrorists, Syria is well within its rights to strike pre-emptively.

With any luck, they'll take out some Xews and CIA officers along the border.

What is your nationality?

Forum List

Back