Turkish PM leaves stage during debate with Peres over Gaza

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
Israeli-Turkish relations took a dramatic turn for the worse in Davos Thursday night when Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan stormed red-faced off the stage at the World Economic Forum after sparring with President Shimon Peres over the fighting in Gaza.

Erdogan was angry over being cut off by a panel moderator after listening to an impassioned monologue by Peres defending Operation Cast Lead.

Peres's defense was prompted by harsh criticism leveled at Israel not only by Erdogan, but also by the two other panelists, Arab League head Amr Moussa and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

"You are killing people," Erdogan declared to Peres.

However, a finger-pointing Peres told Erdogan that he would have done the same if rockets had been hitting Istanbul.

"Do you understand the meaning of a situation where hundreds of rockets are falling a day on women and children who cannot sleep quietly, who need to sleep in shelters? What is the matter with you? You don't understand, and I am not prepared for lies."

Peres's comments were met by hearty applause, which apparently irritated the Turkish prime minister.

Erdogan asked the moderator, Washington Post columnist David Ignatius, to let him speak once more.

"Only a minute," Ignatius replied.

Speaking in Turkish, Erdogan said, "I remember two former prime ministers in your country who said they felt very happy when they were able to enter Palestine on tanks. I find it very sad that people applaud what you said. There have been many people killed. And I think that it is very wrong and it's not humanitarian."

"We can't start the debate again. We just don't have time," Ignatius said.

"Please let me finish," Erdogan said.

However, Ignatius responded, "We really do need to get people to dinner."

The Turkish premier then said, "Thank you very much. Thank you very much. Thank you very much. I don't think I will come back to Davos after this."

The confrontation saw Peres and Erdogan raise their voices - highly unusual at the elite gathering of corporate and world leaders, which is usually marked by learned consensus-seeking and polite dialogue.

The packed audience at the Erdogan and Peres session, which included US President Barack Obama's close adviser Valerie Jarrett, appeared stunned.

Afterward, forum founder Klaus Schwab huddled with Erdogan in a corner of the Congress Center.

"I have known Shimon Peres for many years and I also know Erdogan. I have never seen Shimon Peres so passionate as he was today. I think he felt Israel was being attacked by so many in the international community. He felt isolated," said former Norwegian prime minister Kjell Magne Bondevik.

"I was very sad that Erdogan left. This was an expression of how difficult this situation is," he added.

Moussa, the former Egyptian foreign minister, said Erdogan's actions were understandable.

"Mr. Erdogan said what he wanted to say, and then he left. That's all. He was right," Moussa said.

Of Israel, he said, "They don't listen."

Erdogan brushed past reporters outside the hall. His wife appeared upset.

"All Peres said was a lie. It was unacceptable," she said, eyes glistening.

The unpleasant incident came at a meeting that both Israeli and Turkish diplomatic officials thought could help improve relations between the two countries - relations that have soured considerably due to Erdogan's extremely harsh criticism since the start of Operation Cast Lead.

"Erdogan's actions in Davos show that he doesn't want to miss an opportunity to further harm Turkish-Israeli relations," sources in Jerusalem said in response to the incident. The sources said that Erdogan's behavior on the Davos stage obviously would not help Turkey's attempts to be seen in Europe as a rational and constructive actor on the international stage.

"Israel's strategic relationship with Turkey is important to us, but it is no less important to Turkey," the official said. "Erdogan is harming his own interests."

The official said that Israel was growing increasingly "tired" of Erdogan's tirades, and was unlikely to make any more efforts to "chase after the Turks."

The official dismissed as no longer valid the argument that Erdogan's diatribes - he has called for Israel to be barred from the UN and said its actions were inhuman and would bring it to self-destruction - were the result of domestic considerations, and that he was playing to his strong Islamic base before the Turkish municipal elections in March.

The incident came even as Turkish Foreign Minister Ali Babacan appeared over the last couple of days to be tempering Turkish rhetoric and taking a more conciliatory approach. On Wednesday he called on Hamas to abandon violence.

The Foreign Ministry had no response to the incident, an apparent indication that it did not want to exacerbate the situation.

Turkish PM leaves stage during debate with Peres over Gaza | International | Jerusalem Post

A LIE??? WE DON'T LISTEN?

Turkey brutally responds to any incursion by Kurds from Northern Iraq when they fire a few shells into Turkey. And Turkey condemns Israel's response when 10,000 rockets and shells have fallen into Israel???? AND WE DON'T LISTEN???

Is this man insane?

A LIE??? WE DON'T LISTEN?

Turkey brutally responds to any incursion by Kurds from Northern Iraq when they fire a few shells into Turkey. And Turkey condemns Israel's response when 10,000 rockets and shells have fallen into Israel???? AND WE DON'T LISTEN???

Is this man insane?

The point is this:
Ban-Ki-Moon talked 8 minutes
Amr-Musa talked 12 minutes
Erdogan talked 12 minutes.

Peres talked 25 minutes, for pretty much the entire speech, raised his voice loud, looked and pointed at Erdogan. In such style Peres can talk to leaders whose country is inferior to Israel in all fields. Not to Turkey.
Off course our Prime MInister wanted again the word to answer Peres. The moderator David Ignatius from Washington Post, hisself a Jew, bitched around and regularily intervened Erdogan in word and physically with his hand, so as a moderator taking sides with Peres. At the end of the day, that reporter is noone against a Politician representing 72 Million people. Touching of such a person is a no-go.

Peres will today hold a press-conference regarding this issue. Right after the incident in Davos, Peres called Erdogan and apologized for his loud voice.
So it reports official news agency of Turkey, and Peres will stick his press conference in this regard.

"(...) I have to protect the honour of Turkey and Turkish people," said Mr Erdogan. "I am not a chief of a tribe. I am the prime minister of Turkey. I have to do what I have to do."
BBC NEWS | Business | Davos 2009 | Turkish PM given hero's welcome

LiveImages%5CFoto%20Haber%5CDavos%27tan%20kareler%5CF29221916.jpg

LiveImages%5CFoto%20Haber%5CDavos%27tan%20kareler%5CP29222345.jpg

LiveImages%5CFoto%20Haber%5CDavos%27tan%20kareler%5CP29222350.jpg

I am actually with Erdogan here, there is much more to the situation than "evil Palestinians firing rockets" (what was that about the Tunnel raid BEFORE the rockets?), and you dont do this kind of gestures to the head of a medium power like Turkey.
Actually you dont do this gestures to ANY head of state (that is what is called diplomatically correct behavior). You could do that to the Prime Minister of Fidschi if you really want to, but to the Turkish PM?
You know, PMs represent their country and have to care a lot about their prestige, the incident could also be read as a calculated insult.

Alltogether, Epic Fail, let the next debate be hosted by a Diplomat.

I think Peres had a point: when Turkey invades another country (Iraq) to kill Kurds that do terrorist attacks (not even rockets) in Turkey and Israel invades Gaza (wich isn't even a country or part of one, it is an undefined piece of land) because Israeli cities are being bombarded.

The only reason Turkey acts like this is because of elections and because of his religious muslim voters, he knows that he would have done the same as Israel did because he also did it in the past for attacks that weren't even as threatening as the ones that threatened Israel recently ( Dozens die in Turkish invasion of Iraq - Telegraph )

What I don't understand though is what he said afterwards: that he was defending the honor of Turkey. Turkey doesn't have any stake in the Gaza conflict and it is Erdogan who is insulting Israel as far as I can tell. The only one that could be defending the honor of his country is Israeli president Peres.

Last edited:
I think Peres had a point: when Turkey invades another country to kill Kurds that do terrorist attacks (not even rockets) in Iraq and Israel invades Gaza (wich isn't even a country or part of one, it is an undefined piece of land) because Israeli cities are being bombarded.

The only reason Turkey acts like this is because of elections and because of his religious muslim voters, he knows that he would have done the same as Israel did because he also did it in the past for attacks that weren't even as threatening as the ones that threatened Israel ( Dozens die in Turkish invasion of Iraq - Telegraph )

When Turkey invaded North-Iraq no civilian was murdered. Check your facts.
Gaza is an area 40 Kilometers of length and 1 million people. Where Turkey invaded was mountaineous area without civilian population where Terrorist bases reside.

I think Peres had a point: when Turkey invades another country to kill Kurds that do terrorist attacks (not even rockets) in Iraq and Israel invades Gaza (wich isn't even a country or part of one, it is an undefined piece of land) because Israeli cities are being bombarded.

The only reason Turkey acts like this is because of elections and because of his religious muslim voters, he knows that he would have done the same as Israel did because he also did it in the past for attacks that weren't even as threatening as the ones that threatened Israel ( Dozens die in Turkish invasion of Iraq - Telegraph )

When Turkey invaded North-Iraq no civilian was murdered. Check your facts.
Gaza is an area 40 Kilometers of length and 1 million people. Where Turkey invaded was mountaineous area without civilian population where Terrorist bases reside.

Well if it was an area like Gaza that lied next to it instead of a mountaineous area, then I don't doubt for a second that Turkey would have done it too. The issue is that Turkey invaded Iraq for reasons that were much less threatening to Turkey then the reasons Israel had for invading Gaza. Who are they to judge when they attacked a region in another country for much smaller reasons?

And you should check your sources, the Turkish army is not a reliable source when it comes to civilian casualties.

Turkey bombed villages, not only separated rebels hiding in mountains.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1018524

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/25/2069611.htm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/turkey-bombs-northern-iraq/2007/12/17/1197740129088.html

Last edited:
Well if it was an area like Gaza that lied next to it instead of a mountaineous area, then I don't doubt for a second that Turkey would have done it too. The issue is that Turkey invaded Iraq for reasons that were much less threatening to Turkey then the reasons Israel had for invading Gaza. Who are they to judge when they attacked a region in another country for much smaller reasons?

And you should check your sources, the Turkish army is not a reliable source when it comes to civilian casualties.

If this thread should move to a thread where seperate issues are connected, you have to evaluate then, why Turkey can make such moves allthough USA does not want such moves being made. Finally, we bomb and invade North-Iraq despite USA. Israel does what it does with the backing by USA.

You will see the difference, when you answer yourself the above questions.
We stand here on our own feet, and our feet are the biggest shoe-size.
We may be a "middle power" like someone said in this thread, but that categorization may apply in WORLD context. Here, in this region, where our feet stand this categorization means shit. Here we are the "I can anytime step a foot into your comfort zone"-Turkey.

Great...Israel alienates still another potential ally.

But hey, on the bright side, at least it won the debate!

If this thread should move to a thread where seperate issues are connected, you have to evaluate then, why Turkey can make such moves allthough USA does not want such moves being made. Finally, we bomb and invade North-Iraq despite USA. Israel does what it does with the backing by USA.

You will see the difference, when you answer yourself the above questions.
We stand here on our own feet, and our feet are the biggest shoe-size.
We may be a "middle power" like someone said in this thread, but that categorization may apply in WORLD context. Here, in this region, where our feet stand this categorization means shit. Here we are the "I can anytime step a foot into your comfort zone"-Turkey.

First of all Turkey was backed by the US ( Global Politician - The Kurdish-American Honeymoon Has Ended ), secondly Turkey and Israel are allies.

You normally don't "insult" your ally on actions it does to defend itself, that is a perfectly good point Peres has made. Israel didn't "insult" Turkey on its actions it did in Iraq. The only reason Turkey had to be angry was its negotiating position that was damaged because of the Israeli invasion in Gaza (but Israel even informed Turkey before it started with the invasion).
Erdogan uses Israel for his personal election, he did not have any other reason because Turkey is Israel's biggest military ally in the region. And Turkey needs Israel as much as Israel needs Turkey for its own interests.

Last edited:

Yea, because the moderator was an American who would have called it for israel regardless. I'd have walked too. Lord fucking knows that the amount of time given the zionist compared to the amount of time given to others is about as indicative as that pesky little 12 to 1000+ number everyone wants to ignore.

I am actually with Erdogan here, there is much more to the situation than "evil Palestinians firing rockets" (what was that about the Tunnel raid BEFORE the rockets?), and you dont do this kind of gestures to the head of a medium power like Turkey.
Actually you dont do this gestures to ANY head of state (that is what is called diplomatically correct behavior). You could do that to the Prime Minister of Fidschi if you really want to, but to the Turkish PM?
You know, PMs represent their country and have to care a lot about their prestige, the incident could also be read as a calculated insult.

Alltogether, Epic Fail, let the next debate be hosted by a Diplomat.

You don't call a state you wish to have friendly relations with a terror state and call for it to be barred from the UN even if you have strong feelings about its actions if you are behaving responsibly as a PM, since as the leader of a state that is trusted neither in the west nor by the Arabs, your catcalls will have no effect other than to further diminish your country's chances of being accepted into the EU. You certainly don't behave the way Erdogan has been behaving if you expect to be trusted to be a mediator in peace talks between Israel and Syria. Peres spoke with some emotion for 24 minutes after listening to 32 minutes of harsh criticism from people who made no efforts to hide their emotions during weeks of excoriating Israel in the harshest terms and of consisting putting the worst spin possible on all of Israel's actions without suggesting how else Israel might have defended the hundreds of thousands of Israelis who have been forced to live half their lives in bomb shelters for years. How is it only Israelis don't get to speak with emotion?

Let's not forget that Erdogan, the leader of an Islamist party, was banned for years from holding office because of the fear he would change the direction of Turkey's progress and make it less a part of Europe and for this reason the law had to be changed to allow him to hold office. At the time many analysts were unsure if the Turkish military, which has a history of stepping in to stop trends it sees as backward steps, would even allow Gul and then Erdogan to take office. At the time Erdogan swore over and over again that his personal beliefs would not influence his actions as PM, but his ragings over the past few weeks have clearly shown he is siding with Islamic extremists against the Jewish state. When his government refuses to distance itself from what even Hitler saw as the massive Turkish genocide against the Armenians, how can his rage over the regrettable but unavoidable deaths of a few hundred Gaza civilians be seen in any other way?

While Erdogan remains in power, the only thing that keeps Turkey from being seen by western governments as just another Muslim state captured by Islamic extremists is the historical independence of the Turkish military from the civilian government, something that would be seen as regrettable in most other nations.

In fact, when Erdogan first took office after years of being banned for doing so, most analysts doubted the long standing friendship between the two countries would last. At this point, that relationship is based on the relations between Turkish military, which historically operates with greater independence from civilian authority than in most countries, and Israel, which is Turkey's second largest supplier of military equipment and technology after the US. The question is: did Israel alienate the Turkish military or did Erodogan alienate them?

First of all Turkey was backed by the US ( Global Politician - The Kurdish-American Honeymoon Has Ended ), secondly Turkey and Israel are allies.

You normally don't "insult" your ally on actions it does to defend itself, that is a perfectly good point Peres has made. Israel didn't "insult" Turkey on its actions it did in Iraq. The only reason Turkey had to be angry was its negotiating position that was damaged because of the Israeli invasion in Gaza (but Israel even informed Turkey before it started with the invasion).
Erdogan uses Israel for his personal election, he did not have any other reason because Turkey is Israel's biggest military ally in the region. And Turkey needs Israel as much as Israel needs Turkey for its own interests.

Hello.
The following sentence is not meant to be personal. But the members who interacted with me on the subject through the years, know that USA did oppose any action by Turkey into Iraq vehemently and much hard-ball was being played, putting the relations under the risk of definitive abortion. Those problems are now overcome. The bottom line is our jets fly over North-Iraq, we fire artillery and artillery rockets into North-Iraq and did also intervened with Special Forces in last winter in a limited operation.
USA and Turkey agreed that Turkey will not launch a large-scale invasion, but will stick to forementioned actions. USA as a service of return abolished practice of excrescence of Turkish influence into Iraq and agreed to fulfill Turkish demands, such as abortion of the Kerkük referendum.
The above chapter was a long, agressive and sometimes also hostile way. But we left tthat way behind us.

Comeing to your statement regarding Israel and Turkey being allies:
I never did claim anything else, and of course as a Turkish participant in this forum you do not really have to enlighten me upon that fact. The relations between Israel and Turkey are not connected by persons, but by institutions. So if there are problems on personal level, insitutional cooperation anyway proceeds.
But your assumption that Turkey needs Israel as much as Israel needs Turkey is not true. Israel does only have Turkey in this region and Turkey is not an arbitrarily country, but the most powerfull country around with the biggest economy.
That we buy Israelian military products is no action out of helpnessles but of preference honouring the above mentioned institutional cooperation. Money rules the world, and money smells the same in German or Italian defence industry.
But we do anyway drive a indigenious defence industry policy.

In the 90s Israel did deliver military products of mediocre technological level. The military modernization of Turkish Army in that segment is completed, what Turkey needs is now high-technology products. And that Israel can not deliver the way Turkey wishes. If Turkey in general buys military products, it does not buy the product itself but the technology behind it also. In such way we bought for example the knowledge of the borecannon of the Merkava-4 or Harpy-attack drones. For example the armed version of Heron UAV they do not deliver, if we want to purchase Ofek spy satellite they say we are not allowed to use satellite on their territory.

So we give emphasis on local defence industry and we have made unbelievable progress the last years in that area.
Currently local defence industry supllies Turkish Army with military products by a rate of 47%
Savunma sanayi yerli ihtiyacýmýzýn yüzde 47'sini karþýlýyor - Hürriyet
2006: 36,5 %
2007: 41,5 %
TSK’da yerli silahýn payý artýyor

Currently there are 131 projects still in development phase by SSM
Savunma Sanayii Müsteşarlığı - Ana Sayfa

Under those projects are Battle Helicopters, Satellites, Frigates, Corvettes, Main Battle Tanks and so on. The times where Turkey just buys is over. We now have the industrial base and the economic size to go indigenious.

The problem with Davos was with the moderator of that discussion.
As a moderator you do not intervene Turkish Prime Minister because QUOTE: "We have to go to dinner". There is a discussion about war, regional politics and that dumbshit intervenes rehtorically and physically because he is hungry.
That was the part when Turkish Prime Minister stood up and left Davos.

You can here that dialogue in this PODCAST.
http://www.stratfor.com/audio/download/131282/20090130Stratfor_Daily_Podcast-EDITED.mp3
The author of that podcast explains you also why Turkey will dominate the Islamic world again. That may sound arrogant to you, but Turkey is involved in all the things what is going on around here. Maybe CNN does not report about, but the fact stays. We long time stayed passive, a defensive hedgehog benumbing itself with Inner-Turkish problems. Those times are over.
All forecasts in case of Turkey look rosy, especially the economical aspect. That is the base to all other aspirations.

deflect deflect deflect!

Again, the amount of time given the JEW to speak at this event compared to everyone else pretty much says it all.

The author of that podcast explains you also why Turkey will dominate the Islamic world again. That may sound arrogant to you, but Turkey is involved in all the things what is going on around here. Maybe CNN does not report about, but the fact stays. We long time stayed passive, a defensive hedgehog benumbing itself with Inner-Turkish problems. Those times are over.
All forecasts in case of Turkey look rosy, especially the economical aspect. That is the base to all other aspirations.

Exactly, under Erdogan Turkey has changed directions away from the west and towards a closer relatonship with other states ruled by Islamists.

Exactly, under Erdogan Turkey has changed directions away from the west and towards a closer relatonship with other states ruled by Islamists.

If israel is the example of the west then who can blame them.

Turkey has a "zero-conflict" policy to all world states. Such it must be. Countries like Iran are not in WTO. If Turkish products enter Iranian market, then this goes via "zero-conflict" policy. There is a direct connection between this. We long time ignored the possibilities for Turkish economical development in our Hinterland. Now those markets are open and our growth in historical markets is followed by growth in our Hinterland.

Turkey is the "Gulf Cooperation Councils" first strategic partner:
Gulfnews: GCC names Turkey first strategic partner outside the Gulf

Turkey will get a FTA-agreement out of this, and those Gulf-Arabs do like to consume goods. Why not Turkish goods?

Turkey hails PM as 'Conquerer of Davos' after walkout

Each of the four speakers in the debate on the Middle East was to have delivered a five-minute speech. Mr Ban, the UN Secretary-General, spoke for eight minutes and Mr Erdogan for 12.

Mr Ignatius intervened to silence the head of the Arab League after 12 minutes, but Mr Peres then spoke uninterrupted for 25 minutes, raising his voice, pointing fingers and challenging the other panellists over what they would do in Israel's position.

Turkey hails PM as 'Conquerer of Davos' after walkout - Times Online

Hello.
The following sentence is not meant to be personal. But the members who interacted with me on the subject through the years, know that USA did oppose any action by Turkey into Iraq vehemently and much hard-ball was being played, putting the relations under the risk of definitive abortion. Those problems are now overcome. The bottom line is our jets fly over North-Iraq, we fire artillery and artillery rockets into North-Iraq and did also intervened with Special Forces in last winter in a limited operation.
USA and Turkey agreed that Turkey will not launch a large-scale invasion, but will stick to forementioned actions. USA as a service of return abolished practice of excrescence of Turkish influence into Iraq and agreed to fulfill Turkish demands, such as abortion of the Kerkük referendum.
The above chapter was a long, agressive and sometimes also hostile way. But we left tthat way behind us.

The problem with Davos was with the moderator of that discussion.
As a moderator you do not intervene Turkish Prime Minister because QUOTE: "We have to go to dinner". There is a discussion about war, regional politics and that dumbshit intervenes rehtorically and physically because he is hungry.
That was the part when Turkish Prime Minister stood up and left Davos.

You can here that dialogue in this PODCAST.
http://www.stratfor.com/audio/download/131282/20090130Stratfor_Daily_Podcast-EDITED.mp3

Well yeah it is normal that Turkey wants to have influence in its region, the US does the same and even expands it over the rest of the world. Iraq is under US and Iraqi influence, that is why the US was not happy to have the Turkish army invade Iraq but the US and Turkey are also partners (NATO, ...) and that is the reason the US helped them. The US would also not appreciate it if Erdogan said something similar about US troops in Iraq, in fact relations between US and Turkey probably already have deteriorated because of Erdogan s behavior towards Israel.

The thing is that Turkey and Israel had a good relationship, Erdogan blew it for his own personal agenda (elections) and did not act in the interests of his country (as a good diplomat or politician should do) but in his own interests.
Personally I don't see much good in that guy, he is trying to abuse religion for his own gain. I don't like the changes he tries to force upon Turkey, he is going back in time and reversing the modernization that Turkey already went through. He is destroying the good relations that Turkey and Israel had for so long for his own re-election. Don't forget Israel is a friend of the USA/... and that the actions against Israel will also have its effect on relations that Turkey has with the European Nations, the US and a lot of other Nations that do have good relations with Israel.

The fact of the matter is that Turkey's allies need to be able to rely on Turkey as much as Turkey is able to rely on them. Turkey is powerful because of its allies, not because of its own military power. The day that Turkey would loose its allies it would loose the majority of its power (just like any other Nation in the world).

Last edited:

Forum List

Back