Turkish PM clears way for Iraq assault

ekrem

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2005
Tuesday October 9, 2007
Guardian Unlimited

The Turkish prime minister gave the go-ahead today for a possible military operation into northern Iraq after a spate of deadly attacks on soldiers and civilians by separatist Kurdish guerrillas.

"To put an end to the terrorist organisation operating in the neighbouring country, the order has been given to take every kind of measure - legal, economic, political, including also a cross-border operation if necessary," said the office of the prime minister, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, after he chaired a security meeting.

Article continues
Mr Erdogan, who has previously resisted demands from the Turkish armed forces for permission to cross into Iraqi Kurdistan, has been under intense pressure in the wake of the deadliest Kurdish attacks for more than a decade.

A Turkish incursion is fiercely opposed by Washington since it would immensely complicate the US campaign in Iraq and upset the only stable part of Iraq: the Kurdish-controlled north.

The Turkish parliament would have to authorise any large-scale operation into Iraq, but troops could pursue rebels over the border without prior clearance.

Two Turkish soldiers were killed yesterday in booby trap explosions laid by guerrillas of the Kurdistan Workers' party (PKK) - fighters classified as terrorists by Ankara, Washington and the European Union. Those casualties followed the killing of 13 Turkish soldiers in the south-east of the country on Sunday when PKK forces outgunned a Turkish unit of 18 men without sustaining any casualties, according to the Kurds.

Last week, in an ambush also ascribed to the PKK, gunmen sprayed a bus with automatic fire in the same region, killing 13 civilians, including a boy of seven.

The Turkish media described the toll from the attacks as the worst in 12 years in a conflict spanning several decades that has taken almost 40,000 lives.

Mr Erdogan is known to think little of the invasion option, making the pragmatic calculation that it would probably fail. Western diplomats in Ankara agree that an invasion could be counter-productive. The Turkish military raided Iraqi Kurdistan dozens of times in the 1990s but were unable to suppress the insurgency.

The prime minister, however, is being challenged by the army command, which earlier this year demanded his authority to invade. He is also vulnerable to a mounting public clamour to act because of the upsurge in guerrilla activity and the heavy casualties.

Hardline Turkish nationalists entered parliament in Ankara after elections in July and they are also baying for Kurdish blood.

In the wake of the soldiers' deaths on Sunday, Mr Erdogan signalled a shift in policy, saying: "Our campaign against terrorism will continue in a different manner." The Turkish military has declared 27 "security zones" on the Iraqi and Iranian borders off-limits to civilians, suggesting to some that it might be gearing up for an invasion.

Officially, Ankara refuses to recognise or deal with the government of Iraqi Kurdistan, although there have been back-channel attempts over the past year to engage with Massoud Barzani, the president of the Iraqi Kurdish region.

Mr Erdogan's options are also constrained by strong US hostility to an invasion. While Turkish public opinion has been strongly anti-American since the 2003 invasion of Iraq, much of the logistical support for the US troops goes to Iraq via Turkey.

Relations are also under severe strain because of US congressional moves to brand the 1915 massacres of Armenians in Ottoman Turkey as "genocide".

Mr Erdogan sent aides to Washington yesterday to lobby Congress on the "genocide" resolution. Ankara is also warning that it could block the logistical support to the US in Iraq if the resolution is passed.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/turkey/story/0,,2187014,00.html

Within 10 days = 15 dead soldiers, 13 dead civilians inclusive a baby.
Also many bombs in last days in western Turkish cities, which injured people or where found by Turkish police.

Bomb blast near İstanbul ferry port, 5 injured
http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/detaylar.do?load=detay&link=124267

Two bomb blasts outside a shopping mall in the western Turkish port city of Izmir have left one person dead and a number of others wounded.
http://euronews.net/index.php?page=info&article=445985&lng=1

Four injured in PKK bomb attack on cargo train in eastern Turkey
http://www.digitaljournal.com/artic..._bomb_attack_on_cargo_train_in_eastern_Turkey

What this now means?
Turkish prime ministry has given authority to Turkish Army to cross into Iraq. This authorization is limited and in accordance of "Hot pursuit" over the boarder, as it was in case of last attacks, Terrorists flee into Iraq, Turkish army will kill them there. Prime ministry has no authorization of giving Turkish army any further directive than this.

Directive for Turkish army to come with 2nd Turkish army with corresponding 1st 2nd and 3rd Commando Brigade and corresponding 4 combat squadrons of Airforce, the Turkish Parliament has to give Authority to do so.

Currently, as i write It comes as breaking news in TV that Parliament will give directive.
More to come.... Is hot news with Parliament.

FACT:

Finally after years of talking...

From Turkish:
Governing AKP party decided in its urgent party-intern meeting to send directive for Turkish army to parliament.
From Press statement of AKP governing party:

"To end presence of Terrorism comeing from Iraq, to all related Institutions have been given consultations in this relation of Terror from neighbouring country".

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/7449544.asp?gid=180&sz=51051

AKP will now consult other parties and will send directive into Parliament.
In Turkey is holiday (Bayram). After holiday, Parliament will come together and give directive to Turkish army. The next days.

I'm so happy. My deepest wishes come true.
Turkish 2nd Army comes and will destroy.

Private NTV and CNN-Turk news channels reported that the government has decided to seek parliamentary authorization to launch a possible cross-border military operation in Iraq to pursue the rebels there.
http://www.newspress.com/Top/Article/article.jsp?Section=WORLD&ID=565101427362759497

Leave "hot pursuit" beside. With parliament directive, we come massively.
By comeing massively, we stay there.
Once Turkish legislative system gives directive, noone can do anything against Turkish Army.

On 9th October 1997 Turkey threatend Syria with war. Syria immediately threw PKK-Chief Abdullah Öcalan out of country to avoid Turkish war. After that, Öcalan was captured in Nigeria with Greek passport comeing out of Greek embassy.

Today is 9th October 2007. Exactly 10 years after.

It is now up to USA where this all will lead.
Syria reloaded, or North-Cyprus reloaded (occupation)?
USA has now limited hours to act. HOURS. Either USA fights PKK in North-Iraq and everything ends in Syrian style, or Turkish army comes by directive of Parliament and it will end North-Cyprus style. Comeing and staying.

All major civil institutions like businees association TUSIAD, which rejected before the idea of invasion of Iraq now make comments in TV, that Turkish nation will stand together and therefore together with Army in fighting terror.

The Turks have been chomping at the bit to get involved, I am curious as to how thier involvment would be met by the rest of the Muslim world?

Maybe USA is more busy with accepting Armenian resolution tomorrow in USA congress rather then fighting Terrorists which kill Turks and come out of Iraq, which USA has full responsibility of as occupyer.

Maybe USA congress adopts Armenian resolution tomorrow and paralell Turkish parliament gives directive to Turkish Army, then it will be reached a point-of-no-return in this so-called alliance between both our countries.

http://fotogaleri.hurriyet.com.tr/GaleriDetay.aspx?cid=6718&p=31&rid=2
http://fotogaleri.hurriyet.com.tr/GaleriDetay.aspx?cid=6705&p=25&rid=2
http://fotogaleri.hurriyet.com.tr/GaleriDetay.aspx?cid=6705&p=46&rid=2
http://fotogaleri.hurriyet.com.tr/GaleriDetay.aspx?cid=6705&p=58&rid=2
http://fotogaleri.hurriyet.com.tr/galeridetay.aspx?cid=6718&rid=2
http://fotogaleri.hurriyet.com.tr/GaleriDetay.aspx?cid=6517&p=17&rid=2
http://fotogaleri.hurriyet.com.tr/GaleriDetay.aspx?cid=5405&p=6&rid=2

@roomy:
It is not our business of what "Muslim world" thinks. They can think what they want. They will keep their fingers on hold. No Neighbour, not Israel, not Syria, not Iran, not Saudi-Arabia want conflict with us. They will watch and be silent.

And to involvement of Turkish army in Iraq: It will be no more south then actual areas where our ethnic brothers, the Turkmens, live. So no more south then Kirkuk and Mosul.
But maybe it will only be 200 km inwards into Iraq, cleaning Terrorists in North-Iraq and setting up Turkish buffer zone in North-Iraq controlled by Turkish army.
I do not know. It is up to Parliament directive and Strategy of Turkish Army.

But i can say in advance, that Directive of Parliament will be a blank cheque to Turkish army, leaving initiative as well as scale of Invasion to Army.
They know best.

Maybe USA is more busy with accepting Armenian resolution tomorrow in USA congress rather then fighting Terrorists which kill Turks and come out of Iraq, which USA has full responsibility of as occupyer.

Maybe USA congress adopts Armenian resolution tomorrow and paralell Turkish parliament gives directive to Turkish Army, then it will be reached a point-of-no-return in this so-called alliance between both our countries.

http://fotogaleri.hurriyet.com.tr/GaleriDetay.aspx?cid=6718&p=31&rid=2
http://fotogaleri.hurriyet.com.tr/GaleriDetay.aspx?cid=6705&p=25&rid=2
http://fotogaleri.hurriyet.com.tr/GaleriDetay.aspx?cid=6705&p=46&rid=2
http://fotogaleri.hurriyet.com.tr/GaleriDetay.aspx?cid=6705&p=58&rid=2
http://fotogaleri.hurriyet.com.tr/galeridetay.aspx?cid=6718&rid=2
http://fotogaleri.hurriyet.com.tr/GaleriDetay.aspx?cid=6517&p=17&rid=2
http://fotogaleri.hurriyet.com.tr/GaleriDetay.aspx?cid=5405&p=6&rid=2

@roomy:
It is not our business of what "Muslim world" thinks. They can think what they want. They will keep their fingers on hold. No Neighbour, not Israel, not Syria, not Iran, not Saudi-Arabia want conflict with us. They will watch and be silent.

And to involvement of Turkish army in Iraq: It will be no more south then actual areas where our ethnic brothers, the Turkmens, live. So no more south then Kirkuk and Mosul.
But maybe it will only be 200 km inwards into Iraq, cleaning Terrorists in North-Iraq and setting up Turkish buffer zone in North-Iraq controlled by Turkish army.
I do not know. It is up to Parliament directive and Strategy of Turkish Army.

But i can say in advance, that Directive of Parliament will be a blank cheque to Turkish army, leaving initiative as well as scale of Invasion to Army.
They know best.
I don't believe for one second that they will sit back and say/do nothing.
If Turkey do invade they will only go as far as they are allowed by the Americans and if the Americans say jump, the Turks will say "how high?"

I don't believe for one second that they will sit back and say/do nothing.
If Turkey do invade they will only go as far as they are allowed by the Americans and if the Americans say jump, the Turks will say "how high?"

"Muslim world" will be silent. We are not Tunisia, but Turkey. Biggest economy, most-powerfull army, biggest industrial base in "Muslim world".
If someone wants to say anything, he can anyhow we will take care of them (none-military meaning) after our adventure in Iraq.

To USA:
We will see. Turkey will move into Iraq in accordance with security reasons and strategic planing. We will make no cosmetic actions.
Completely destroying PKK and its sister organization PJAK which fights in Iran. PJAK and PKK is the same.
Maybe also killing Barzani and destruction of Peshmergas as indicated by General staff in April 2007.
If USA does object, it can join sides with Terrorists and accordingly handled by Turkish Army.

No cosmetic.

Yeah. Just say what you want "Fuck Turkey" etc in one post and then clown-away.

I am out for some hours. Comes special in Turkish TV station NTV, co-owned by MSNBC, about invasion interviewing Politicians, academics and analysts about Invasion for about 2 1/2 hours.

I have not said "Fuck Turkey" in any of my posts, in fact, this is only my second post in this thread, and, prior to these two, I have pretty much ignored the issue as you have posted it in this and many other threads.

If Turkey feels it's only option is to enter Northern Iraq to deal with these mooks, well, I suppose they have that right based on international law. By the same token, the Turkish government must recognize that there could be serious repercussions as a consequence, and I do not mean military consequences.

Funny thing, I notice that Turkey had no interest in joining the coalition that invaded Iraq back in 2003, they even went so far as to refuse the U.S. request to deploy troops through Turkey. To date, not a single Turkish troop has been deployed to assist in the stabilization of Iraq. Now, after over two years of discussion they decide to enter the north to pursue the PKK? Fine, that is their right, despite having no agreement with Iraq concerning pursuit. But let's not pretend that the grievances of the Kurds are not legitimate. They are perhaps the most oppressed minority in the region, and Turkey is not alone in it's shabby treatment of the Kurdish people, Syria, Iran, and in the past Iraq have all been guilty of mistreating the Kurds as well.

Turkey will do what it feels it must do, but they should also remember that there has been no stronger a supporter of Turkey, the Turkish government, and the Turkish people than the U.S. It would be a shame if that support should wane.

Yeah. Just say what you want "Fuck Turkey" etc in one post and then clown-away.

I am out for some hours. Comes special in Turkish TV station NTV, co-owned by MSNBC, about invasion interviewing Politicians, academics and analysts about Invasion for about 2 1/2 hours.

Okay ... fuck Turkey. Y'all suck. How's that?

I have not said "Fuck Turkey" in any of my posts, in fact, this is only my second post in this thread, and, prior to these two, I have pretty much ignored the issue as you have posted it in this and many other threads.

If Turkey feels it's only option is to enter Northern Iraq to deal with these mooks, well, I suppose they have that right based on international law. By the same token, the Turkish government must recognize that there could be serious repercussions as a consequence, and I do not mean military consequences.

Funny thing, I notice that Turkey had no interest in joining the coalition that invaded Iraq back in 2003, they even went so far as to refuse the U.S. request to deploy troops throu Turkey. To date, not a single Turkish troop has been deployed to assist in the stabilization of Iraq. Now, after over two years of discussion they decide to enter the north to pursue the PKK? Fine, that is their right, despite having no agreement with Iraq concerning pursuit. But let's not pretend that the grievances of the Kurds are not legitimate. They are perhaps the most oppressed minority in the region, and Turkey is not alone in it's shabby treatment of the Kurdish people, Syria, Iran, and in the past Iraq have all been guilty of mistreating the Kurds as well.

Turkey will do what it feels it must do, but they should also remember that there has been no stronger a supporter of Turkey, the Turkish government, and the Turkish people than the U.S. It would be a shame if that support should wane.
PKK itself is killing Turkish civilians and soldiers of Kurdish origin. So you think, that civlians killed in South-East are ethnic Turks? They are Turks by constitutional meaning. Further PKK is a damocles sword for investment into this area.
Kurdish Seperatism is an issue under people of nearly a Million.
Major part of Turkish Kurds do not haveing anything related to PKK, nor do want to seperate from Turkey.

Kurdish parties themselves do not get support from Turkish Kurds. Centralist AKP party has smashed all other parties in Southeast in July 22 elections, concentrateing about 60% of votes in South-East in race with another 20 parties.

DTP-Party, political wing of PKK, has gotten about 3% of votes. In 2002 election it still was 6,2 %.
PKK nor DTP is not deputy of Turkish Kurds. It is a security and economic disaster for Southeast Turkey and people living there.
Turkey has spent direct and indirect about 300 Billion $ against PKK fight. Money which we could make regional Billion $ enterprises.

DTP does not call PKK terrorist and makes rascist policy, as party is only directed to a special ethnicity. No chance in Turkey. Turkey is governed by parties who get votes of majority.
And even in major Turkish Kurd populated Southeast, AKP party is with great distance 1st option to people's daily life problems (economy, education etc.)

Voters who vote for ethnic-special parties like DTP are "Problem Kurds" and will get assimilated in long run. It is a matter of time. Parents of these 3% DTP-voters educateing their children as terrorists will loose their children first to PKK and then as countermeasure to Turkish Army (consisting also of Turkish Kurds).
----------------

2. For "hot pursuit" we do not need parliament authorization. Prime ministry authorization is enough for "hot pursuit". This Prime ministry authorization has been issued Today.
Also AKP is now sending directive to Parliament to authorize Army to go into Iraq the classical way.
In Turkey is now holiday. Inter-Institutional mechanism of Power has no holidays.
General Staff, Prime Ministry and Intelligence Office meet despite of holidays.

But Institutions on singular level have holidays. Judges as judicative branch of Institution do not work. Also Parliament does not work.
Once "Bayram"-Holiday is over, Parliament will come toether with this Iraq-Directive on first top-agenda.

----------------

3. Turkey is not only talking of Military means. In statements issued today it is also written about social and economic measures.
This can mean: Stopping USA supplies over Turkey or closeing Transfer of goods and human capital from Turkey to Iraq.
North-Iraq is indpendent to Turkey beginning from
- water
- electricity
- goods
- investment

So-called "boom" in North-Iraq is dirctly related to Turkish firms.

Also once Turkey enters Iraq and makes solution to military related Problem of PKK, we will seek final solution to PKK-problem also on social level. Meaning Multi-Billion dollar ivestments to raise welfare of region.
Turkish economy is growing for 7% since 5 years.
Allthough Turkey does not have Oil, our state budget is about 1,8 times bigger then Saudi state budget, and about 45 billion dollar bigger then Iranian state budget.

Money is available, but not security.
Due to bombings and non-existing investment security in South-East, the region lacks in every statistic against other Turkish provinces.
Turkish companies are biggest of its kind in the Balkans, Mid-East, Central-Asia, North-Arica and Caucasus.
Investment there will be redirected into South-East once security for investment is there. It is paradox that Turkish firms invest in North-Iraq but not in Southeast Turkey.

This is what PKK fears of. Totally loosing ground. That is why it escalates the situation. Forceing the state to squeeze local population between Turkish Army and PKK. Such environment is the environment where PKK can gain supporters.
But it is misclculation. We will redirect this war into Iraq and build up South-East with major bucks by state budget and private companies' investments.
In the end, in Istanbul average wage is 20.000 $ and in South-East only 1.000 $.
So it is also a major thrust to Turkish economy by Turkish companies finally exploiting the area with cheap labour. This will multiply wealth of people there.

Development in the region is acid to PKK, as people multiplying their wealth do tend to seek answers of which colour their new car will have, rater then confrnting the State.
Seperatist Kurds have no agenda for Kurds in education, jobs, etc. Turkey has and does. That is why PKK is bombing teachers, doctors, infrastructure etc. in South-East and killing loyal Turkish citizens of Kurdish origin.
It does only work in makeing economic losses and stop econimic development of region.
With every more bomb, PKK puts itself into offside in eyes of Turkish Kurds.
Majority of Kurds are loyal to Turkey and have nothing to do with Seperatism.
It is a problem of 3% of total voters, which political wing of PKK has gotten in last elections.

LoL, in propagandas around Internet there is being said, that Turkey consists of 25 Mio Kurds. With that base, in premisse that they want to seperate, they have had achieved seperation long ago. You can not force Millions of people to anything. Also Turks and Kurds are interracially mixing since 1071 after Christ.
You can not make clinical cut between Turkish and Kurdish origin in context of constitutional stateship.
Also most Turks of Kurdish origin live in West-Turkey. Where is security, jobs and MEditeranean flavour to Life (heaven on earth, US Tourists will know).
In South-East there live only 6 Mio people, maybe 4 1/2 Mio Kurds and rest Zazas, Turkmens, Laz etc.

We have had and still have everything rangeing from General Staffs, Ministers, Prime MInisters, Presidents of Kurdish origin.
Kurds are no minority in Turkey. They are part of majority Turkish identity everything open for them, once they achieve related qualification.

Turkish state is biggest investor in south-east. Alone Istanbul province does transfer over 50 Billion $ annually via Ankara to South East.
Othe provinces like Bursa in West have tac collecting rates of 1.400 % in relation to what they again receive from Ankara.
Sirnak province in South-East for example does get about 700 % from Ankara in relation to actual tax collection in this province.
Solution to close gap between South-East and General standard is keeping state investments there on same level, but attractig Privat economy to invest there also.
This can only be achieved, once security is achieved.
This goes over destruction of PKK nowadays based in Iraq and operating from there in to Turkey.

Hit and Run tactic over boarder. Turkey is in full controll of its territory. Everywhere is state authority. No terrorist controlls anything, like for example Al-Qaeda would do in El-Anbar.
PKK comes from mountains in North-Iraq, plants mines etc. and if they achive to flee, they are back in North-Iraq regrouping, rearming etc.

Can't go on forever so. This is direct interests of Turkey on multiple levels.
For USA Iraq and North-Iraq is no direct interest which threatens them and therefore

4. USA has to choose, like Israel had to choose. Sidening with Terrorists or makeing conflict with Turkey for USA's secundar interests against Turkey's primary interests. Who has bigger cojones will then be seen.
Turkey-USA annualy bilateral trade is about 10-12 Billion dollar. Nothing big.
Turkey also does strategical options in a "cold war" with USA haming interests of USA in central Asia, Mid-East, North-Africa, Caucasus, Black Sea etc.
Iran today gets biggest media attention, but in fact Turkey is big boss of this area.

Today was exceptional Inter-Institutional traffic in Ankara.
From National Security Council Chief, to Bureaucrats, National Intelligence Chief, General Staff, State President etc. Everywhere traffic.

They are working on exact words of "Iraq directive". Prime Minister Erdogan has said, that Parliament will come tomorrow together. Parliament will vote on "Iraq directive".
It will be overwhelmigly voted yes.

The "Iraq directive" from Parliament to Turkish Army will last exactly 1 year. It does not mean, that Turkey will hit immediately Iraq. But after parliament has given "Iraq directive" the Initiative is completely in the hand of Turkish Army.
It is then to decide by Turkish Army when invasion of Iraq will start.
No more politicians business.

Prime Minister said, that government will give everything to Turkish Army. Beginning from support to money.

Turkey's Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan said on Wednesday his government could send a request to parliament as early as Thursday for it to authorise a possible military operation against Kurdish rebels in northern Iraq.
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L10305553.htm

So tomorrow with 95% likeliness "Iraq directive" comes to parliament. If not tomorrow, then friday 100%. No talk anymore.

Turkish government will support Turkish army with economic means.
It is on table, to close "Habur" boarder gate from where North-Iraq is dependent.
Turkey also supllies Electric to North-Iraq. Electric transfer could also be disrupted.
Also in North-Iraq are 1.300 Turkish companies, they will be called home immediately.
North-Iraq will totally collapse.

In Turkish media it is also said, that via Turkey USA army in Iraq gets 50% of its supllies for war machinery, and via Turkey 30% of Army's gasoline.
Currently in USA congress in this minutes Armenian Bill is likely adopted. If adopted USA will also get no supplies nor gasoline anymore from Turkey for "Iraqi Freedom" and Incirlik airbase will likely be shut down.

Here what Robert Gates says to this issue:
Defense Secretary Robert Gates said that 70 percent of U.S. air cargo headed for Iraq goes through Turkey, as does about a third of the fuel used by the U.S. military in Iraq.

"Access to airfields and to the roads and so on in Turkey would very much be put at risk if this resolution passes and Turkey reacts as strongly as we believe they will," Gates said.
http://www.kansascity.com/451/story/311501.html

From Turkish Constitution:

F. Declaration of State of War and Authorisation to Permit the Use of Armed Forces

ARTICLE 92. The Power to authorise the declaration of a state of war in cases deemed legitimate by international law and, except where required by international treaties to which Turkey is a party or by the rules of international courtesy to send Turkish Armed Forces to foreign countries and to allow foreign armed forces to be stationed in Turkey, is vested in the Turkish Grand National Assembly.

If the country is subjected, while the Turkish Grand National Assembly is adjourned or in recess, to sudden armed aggression and it thus becomes imperative to decide immediately on the use of the armed forces, the President of the Republic can decide on the use of the Turkish Armed Forces.

http://www.byegm.gov.tr/mevzuat/anayasa/anayasa-ing.htm

USA has adopted "Armenian Resolution".
Warnings to USA from Turkey was very clear. This warnings were wide beginning from Incirlik, Afghanistan, Lebanon and Supplies for GI's into Iraq.

Egemen Bagis, foreign policy adviser of Turkish Prime Minister:
"This draft resolution will put U.S. soldiers in danger. If our ally accuses us of crimes that we did not commit then we will start to question the advantages of our cooperation.''
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=awXNz6yy7Lt8&refer=home

Now USA can get its gasoline and War machinery for Iraq from somewhere else. !!!
70% of US air cargo for Iraq, 50% war machinery supplies and 30% of gasoline comes from Turkey.
Also injured GI's from Afghanistan and Iraq will now have to take other route to be flying with planes to Rammstein in Germany.
Maybe Syria will open up its airspace?

You will see what re-writing Turkish history in USA congress will mean for USA on ground.

USA has adopted "Armenian Resolution".
Warnings to USA from Turkey was very clear. This warnings were wide beginning from Incirlik, Afghanistan, Lebanon and Supplies for GI's into Iraq.

Egemen Bagis, foreign policy adviser of Turkish Prime Minister:
"This draft resolution will put U.S. soldiers in danger. If our ally accuses us of crimes that we did not commit then we will start to question the advantages of our cooperation.''
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=awXNz6yy7Lt8&refer=home

Now USA can get its gasoline and War machinery for Iraq from somewhere else. !!!
70% of US air cargo for Iraq, 50% war machinery supplies and 30% of gasoline comes from Turkey.
Also injured GI's from Afghanistan and Iraq will now have to take other route to be flying with planes to Rammstein in Germany.
Maybe Syria will open up its airspace?

You will see what re-writing Turkish history in USA congress will mean for USA on ground.
Rewrite? You mean acknowledgement. Turkey is the only country in denial about the Armenian Genocide. Literally nowhere on Earth is there a nation whose general population is more hostile toward the US than Turkey, not even Iran. Nowhere on Earth does the media tell more lies about America than it does in Turkey. America should close Incirlik air base, withdraw US support for Turk admission to the EU, cancel the Turk order for F-16s and F-35s, and block the sale of F-16 and other military weapons system parts to Turkey. America should take the fighter planes destined for Turk delivery and provide them to Greece, Georgia, and Iraq. Then Turkey can take delivery of aircraft from its "Brothers of the Black Sea," (canavar’s phrase) the new Soviets.

Funny thing, I notice that Turkey had no interest in joining the coalition that invaded Iraq back in 2003, they even went so far as to refuse the U.S. request to deploy troops throu Turkey. To date, not a single Turkish troop has been deployed to assist in the stabilization of Iraq. Now, after over two years of discussion they decide to enter the north to pursue the PKK? Fine, that is their right, despite having no agreement with Iraq concerning pursuit. But let's not pretend that the grievances of the Kurds are not legitimate. They are perhaps the most oppressed minority in the region, and Turkey is not alone in it's shabby treatment of the Kurdish people, Syria, Iran, and in the past Iraq have all been guilty of mistreating the Kurds as well.

Did Turkey go to the UN? Was their proposal adopted? Damn, I missed that!

Rewrite? You mean acknowledgement. Turkey is the only country in denial about the Armenian Genocide. Literally nowhere on Earth is there a nation whose general population is more hostile toward the US than Turkey, not even Iran. Nowhere on Earth does the media tell more lies about America than it does in Turkey. America should close Incirlik air base, withdraw US support for Turk admission to the EU, cancel the Turk order for F-16s and F-35s, and block the sale of F-16 and other military weapons system parts to Turkey. America should take the fighter planes destined for Turk delivery and provide them to Greece, Georgia, and Iraq. Then Turkey can take delivery of aircraft from its "Brothers of the Black Sea," (canavar’s phrase) the new Soviets.

Yes, onedomino. We have reached point-of-no-return today.
In 4 years whole relations has been destroyed.
And of course you can suplly Greece, Iraq and Georgia with weapons. Maybe they will also help you in supplying Iraq war machinery when tomorrow (time distance betwen USA and Turkey) power mechanism in Turkey will asses situation. It is night here.

When Turkey shuts land and airspace for USA in Iraq, USA is in major shit.
Maybe Syria and Iran will open up their land for USA supplies.
It is just the beginning. We are in a phase of historic dimensions.
Next steps by Turkey will change direction of the region and will be a heavy blow to USA interests in the region.
---- steps of Turkish war machinery into North-Iraq
---- blocking USA supplies over Turkey
---- closeing down Incirlik
---- and maybe as the only muslim country contributeing in Afghanistan withdraw from there

You will see where this will all lead to in Intelligence shareing, Energy politics, containing Russia and Iran etc.
A Turkish nearing to SCO seems unavoidable, stretching SCO from Southeast-Europe to Chinese Pacific.

It is not us who wants to impose its interests 10.000 KM away from homeland. East-Mediteranean, Black-Sea, Caucasus, Mid-East, Central-Asia is our Hinterland.
We can make here as absolute Pivotal Power things very costly for USA which tries to impose its interests in this Hinterland, masked as GOP. Beginning from Energy, Security, Socio-Economic things by only Secular Democracy in Muslim World entering in "de-facto" cold war with Superpower.

Searching new alliances also is neccessity out of this. And here you are right with Russia and the phrase "Black Sea"-Brothers.
That's all i have to say. You can, if you like, still concentrate on F-16's. Maybe you want also to talk about economic sanctions, as if we would give a shit about with bilateral trade volumes of 10-12 billion dollars.

Above is theory.
Practice is, once Turkey closes Incirlik and supplies for US army into Iraq and Turkey enters Iraq and makes serious steps in damageing USA interests, USA will come on its knees and knock on Turkish door. The assumption is, that USA can make everything what it wants against Turkey without Turkey makeing countermoves.
Totally wrong.
Your politicians will make :eusa_doh: for not seeing what this kind of politics will have effects to USA interests.

Forum List

Back