Turkish Movie Slanders America

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
Turkey's new movie, "Valley of the Wolves Iraq," the biggest budget movie to every come from this country, depicts American soldiers wounding and slaughtering innocent Iraqis, then taking them to Abu Ghraib to have their organs harvested by a Jewish doctor (Gary Busey) so they can be sent back to America and implanted into Jewish patients. Billy Zane also stars in the movie.

I think this is a disgrace, not only because of this stupid piece of propoganda, but because there are Americans actually helping them make it.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/movies/article.adp?id=20060202084309990001

Yes. Propaganda like Turks were shown in "24" and "Westwing" as Terrorists. No need for double-standards to be applied here.

The film mostly relies on real happenings.

- Americans putting Turkish NATO-Soldier bags over their heads? Yes, did happen.
- Abu-Ghraib. Yes, did happen.
- The jewish doctor selling Organs to Israel? Yes, did happen in Turkey 2 years ago. Here is the proof:
http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

So it is balancing out.

Background Information: The Film is a TV-Series in its 3rd season and has nothing to do with USA.
The main actress is a Turkish state agent infiltrateing Turkish mafia, destroying it from within.

They made much money with this film, even hired Sharon Stone for the TV-Series.

canavar said:
- The jewish doctor selling Organs to Israel? Yes, did happen in Turkey 2 years ago

We were chopping up Iraqis in Abu-Ghraib and selling their organs to Jews in America?!!? I must of missed those photos.

:bs1:

canavar said:
Yes. Propaganda like Turks were shown in "24" and "Westwing" as Terrorists. No need for double-standards to be applied here.

The film mostly relies on real happenings.

- Americans putting Turkish NATO-Soldier bags over their heads? Yes, did happen.
- The jewish doctor selling Organs to Israel? Yes, did happen in Turkey 2 years ago. Here is the proof:
http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

So it is balancing out.

Background Information: The Film is a TV-Series in its 3rd season and has nothing to do with USA.
The main actress is a Turkish state agent infiltrateing Turkish mafia, destroying it from within.

They made much money with this film, even hired Sharon Stone for the TV-Series.

But the Doctor and the organs had nothing to do with the United States correct?

But in the movie, they are related.

theHawk said:
We were chopping up Iraqis in Abu-Ghraib and selling their organs to Jews in America?!!? I must of missed those photos.

:bs1:
That's not what Canavar wrote. For God's sake, he even posted a link to the news story that backs up what he said.

GotZoom said:
But the Doctor and the organs had nothing to do with the United States correct?

But in the movie, they are related.

Yes, correct.
In the movie these things are related together. The jewish doctor is in Abu-Ghraib transplantateing organs sending them to Israel and New York.

so these things happening in Abu-Ghraib is real fiction. Put together to match the plot of the film and maybe for marketing reasons to promote the TV-series to foreign TV-stations.
The film is obviously not made only for Turkish market. And i think the film will be much viewed over the world.

You know, the Suleymania-bag incident was dominateing American image in Turkey. When the film came to cinema here on January a pro-USA daily "Hürriyet" covered simultanouesly on its front-page a story: "Revenge for suleymaniye".
There they showed pictures of 1 American soldier named Martin Rollinson who had crossed into turkish puffer-Zone in North-Iraq on 19 MAy 2004. The newspaper interviewed Turkish commander "Ezgin" with the siuation on 19 MAy 2004. With story like: "We had a bag there but we didn't put it over Rollinsons head, we naked him off, confiscated his weapon, he wanted Nescafe during interrogation, we gave him water"....
2005 Turkish-American Council gave Rollinson a medal for his "cooperation"...
http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/3731739.asp?m=1&gid=69
If someone is interrested I can translate the source into English.

But not everybody in Turkey belives in Rollinson-story. Some circles think that this story is initiated by US+Turkey.

Even here in Turkey nationalist sources say that USA was co-financier of the film "Valley of the wolves" in order to get a fictional revenge for "Suleymania incident" to erase this "They-put-our-soldiers-bags-over-their-heads"-feeling virtually in a film so that again deeper cooperation of Turkey and USA in Mid-East is possible in eye of turkish public.
I think this is Bullsh*** theory. But US-Soldier Rollinson makes me distrustfull.

Good read what this film is all about:

Valley of the Wolves for Dummies: Polat Alemdar, A Turkish Rambo or Bond
by Baris Sanli
Valley of the Wolves (Kurtlar Vadisi) was TV series that captured the prime time TV ratings in Turkey. The main subject was what the Turks called "Deep State" and the events were happening around Polat Alemdar, who was born as Efe Karahanli, the only son of a businessman, but later kidnapped during infancy and named Ali. "Valley of the Wolves – Iraq", the movie of the popular TV series stirred up controversy whether the production is very Anti-American or not.
This question reminds Turks the Anti-Turkishness of "Midnight Express" that even Oliver Stone accepts the exaggeration in the story. The director as well as the producers, artists and scenarist just projected what their perception of Turkey and Turks is. But "Valley of the Wolves – Iraq" is no where near a Turkish version of "Midnight Express".
Before starting the discussion, there is a need to review the origins and mentality of the "Valley of the Wolves " and why the TV series were popular?

Introduction - Valley of the Wolves , the TV series

Turkish people's perception of their state has tremendously distorted after the tragic accident of Susurluk. The Susurluk accident has happened in Susurluk (close to İstanbul). A Mercedes car has crashed to a lorry, where three of the passengers were died at the scene. The passengers were Abdullah Catli(a heroic figure for nationalists), Sedat Bucak (a tribal leader from Kurdish Regions) and Huseyin Kocadag (Head of Istanbul Police Department).
People asked the basic question : "What do these three men in common?" and couldn't get an answer. Sedat Bucak was the only survivor from the accident, but he never talked. This awakened the suspicion of covert sub-states(or gangs) inside the state which are carrying operations that effects Turkish daily lives and politics.
After the Susurluk accident (post-Susurluk era), the case closed abruptly. But the myth of deep state carried on. So does the people's curiosity on the deep state. Valley of the Wolves , which symbolizes Turkey, is a impersonation of the people's curiosity on deep state and hidden state structures claims Ali Hakan, who is a prominent film critic.
Polat Alemdar is the heroine of the Valley of the Wolves . He is actually the son of a business man who leads the council that runs the illegal market operations like drugs, blackmarkets in Turkey. The council is a secret organization consisting of prominent mafia related businessmen who are extremely powerful. But Polat doesn't learn that his father is the head of the Council until the second half of the series. He knows himself as Ali who was orphaned but then adopted by a man and woman.
In the first episode of the series, Ali was an undercover agent carrying operations outside Turkey. He was then called to Turkey to finish the mafia that was controlled by the Council which has also international links. Towards the end, the council is revealed to have links with the Illuminati, a global secret organization. To finish the mafia, his identity was erased (he has been declared to be dead in a car crash) and after plastic surgery he was given a new face.
The “unofficial” state organization that has given him the duty was a ultra secret organization that has no organic links with National Intelligence Agency. Polat Alemdar rises in to the high ranks of the mafia, later becomes the head of the council by replacing his real father who has been punished and killed by the Illuminati because of failed operations in Turkey.
What made TV series very popular is hard to answer? The first one can be Suleyman Cakir(played by Oktay Kaynarca) who was Polat Alemdar's first target. Polat has been given the duty to be the closest one to the Suleyman Cakir and they become extremely close dudes. Oktay Kaynarca has portrayed such good modern Robin Hood like Mafia boss that people couldn't accept his exit from the series when he was killed. But this was the initial acceleration for the growing popularity of the series. The second reason for its popularity can be the questions and the curiosities of the people regarding deep state that have been impersonated in the TV series. The third reason can be the scenarist's foreseeing of the events weeks before they actually happen.
The TV series eventually became very popular which raised the doubts about its connection with reality. Some said it was a sheer manipulation by the state to end people's paranoia about deep state. Some argued that the people's interest in the subject was fed through this TV series.
Personally, I can see a bit of the whole manipulation in the TV series. The deep state is not a unique thing to Turks. It is Gladio in Italy, some other thing in Belgium. Turkey is not the first country to publicize such bodies through TV productions. For example in US, the movie "Enemy of the State" is a good example of what Turks call "deep state".
Polat Alemdar is not a Turkish rambo, he is more like a ultra secret MI5 agent. Like all secret agents he has some military training. Generally his main concern is the illegal mafia and secret organizations inside Turkey. So what the hell is he doing in Iraq?

The Movie – Valley of the Wolves Iraq

The film starts with a Turkish army officer writing to Polat Alemdar about the American soldiers' capturing of Turkish soldiers(the army officer was among them) in Suleimania, Northern Iraq. The event happened in Suleimania were taken from real life and they were long disputed in Turkey. After writing the letter, officer commits suicide due to humiliation he felt. Polat Alemdar tries to take the revenge of that event from the Americans and saves our “national pride”.
The movie is a phenomenon in Turkey; it broke the all time audience records in Turkey. People has queued hours to get tickets, in some cinemas the tickets run out in a matter of hours. But what exactly attracted the people to the cinemas? Anti American motives? Love for Iraq? Actually it was the result of the enormous popularity of the TV series.
I am not a film critic, still I find it hard to enjoy the film, I found the script quite weak. It was as if it was written in a matter of hours and scenes were not worked. There was also what I call typical "Valley of the Wolves " dialogues. To exaggerate the situation I will give an example. For example there is an object on the way that audience couldn't see. The dialog in the movie continues as follows:
Person A. There is an object
Person B. What is this object
Person A. It is a pen.
Or it does not allow the viewer to solve the events for himself as they have done in the TV series.
Person A. He killed someone
Person B. Why is he doing this
Person A. Because he is insane.
However there were really good dialogues in the movie as well. While terrorists were recording a video of a hostage(a British journalist), a sheikh enters the scene, after condemning the terrorist leader, takes the sword from terrorist and gives it to British hostage and orders the British hostage to cut the head of the terrorist. The hostage drops the sword and says "I am just a journalist".
The other important point was the stressing of suicide bomber methodology’s rejection from the mainstream Islamic understanding. The sheikh does not give fatwa for someone to be a suicide bomber. He even says “with one action, you fail to obey two orders of Allah”.

The Dispute – Anti American or Not?

In some scenes, there were really Anti-American patterns. In a certain point I felt like watching the Turkish version of "Rambo in Afghanistan". Instead of the Russian maniac, there was the "Sam". But overall, I didn't find it quite Anti-American.
The perception of America in the Middle East is hugely different from the American's own perception. For example Abu Ghuraib and Fallujah are two events that are hard to erase from people's mind. Also American way of labeling people as terrorist is another disputed subject. From these points it may seem Anti-American, but I rather find it a miserable critic of American operations in Iraq.
There is nothing to be scared about this movie. I am not a film critic but I didn't enjoy the script, I didn't enjoy the continuity of events, I didn't enjoy the characters. They were much less worked than the TV series. For the sake of the message, the movie seemed like a bit rushed. Even some scenes were like funny Rambo clips.
But the film is excellent in some other perspectives. It is a critique of U.S. in an artistic form. Instead of shouting or exploding bombs, a very peaceful way of the film is taking the revenge of "Midnight Express". Also a glimpse of the coming era of Turkish style Bond movies with oriental Bond girls is shining in the movie.
Despite my negative perceptions of the movie, it is still worth seeing. I also believe that this film will reach to an audience in the Middle East. Do not take it so seriously, it is just an entertainment, no big deal.

http://www.turkishweekly.net/comments.php?id=1912

canavar said:
Yes, correct.
In the movie these things are related together. The jewish doctor is in Abu-Ghraib transplantateing organs sending them to Israel and New York.

so these things happening in Abu-Ghraib is real fiction. Put together to match the plot of the film and maybe for marketing reasons to promote the TV-series to foreign TV-stations.
Do not take it so seriously, it is just an entertainment, no big deal.

http://www.turkishweekly.net/comments.php?id=1912

So they are making the two look related even though they aren't. Basically....lying...about what happened?

And you last sentence? If only some other people would feel that way about entertainment...cartoons..etc...

GotZoom said:
So they are making the two look related even though they aren't. Basically....lying...about what happened?

And you last sentence? If only some other people would feel that way about entertainment...cartoons..etc...

This is not a documentary but an Action-Film. With parts of reality and parts of fiction. Not demanding to show the truth in the film.

Yes. Lying or fictioning of a story-writer on his desk on a lonely evening.

canavar said:
This is not a documentary but an Action-Film. With parts of reality and parts of fiction. Not demanding to show the truth in the film.

Yes. Lying or fictioning of a story-writer on his desk on a lonely evening.

You have to love this article. It's like a DU post, but better because its in the mainstream media.

"Our film's a sort of political action," explains script-writer Bahadir Ozdener at the production company's stylish office on the Asian side of Istanbul.

"Maybe 60 or 70% of what happens on screen is factually true. Turkey and America are allies, but Turkey wants to say something to its friend. We want to say the bitter truth. We want to say that this is wrong."

What part, the other 30-40% which involves sick, inhumane, and most importantly contrived 'facts' used to fluff out the films general anti-American sentiment?

Apparently Turkish people are gullible enough to buy into this movie hook line and sinker.

"Everything we've been hearing on the news about Iraq is in this film," one woman says as she emerges from the auditorium.

Including the evil Jews harvesting organs!

"We condemn this war and will continue to condemn it. But I don't see America as our fundamental enemy," she adds.

People like this irritate me. Either you believe everything in the film is true, and rightfully despise us. Or you recognize everything you know about Iraq is distorted by anti-American propaganda, and stop speaking for 'We' and instead use your own damn independent thought processes.

"I'm really upset after this, really upset," an older man says, as rushes away.

Are older Turkish men all such drama queens? Can't handle a little action with your heaping plate of propaganda, sir?

"If I see an American when I get out of here I feel like taking a hood and putting it over their head."

Try that shit with me, and you'll get more than an organ removed Turk boy. Can you imagine Americans going around after a film about the 9-11 hijacking, specifically 'Flight 97' shown recently here, talking about doing the same to Arabs. Who is the tolerant, enlightened society here?

The film is due for release in Europe soon. Then it is off to the US.

Oh, we can't wait. :cof:

Comrade said:
You have to love this article. It's like a DU post, but better because its in the mainstream media.

What part, the other 30-40% which involves sick, inhumane, and most importantly contrived 'facts' used to fluff out the films general anti-American sentiment?

Apparently Turkish people are gullible enough to buy into this movie hook line and sinker.

Including the evil Jews harvesting organs!

People like this irritate me. Either you believe everything in the film is true, and rightfully despise us. Or you recognize everything you know about Iraq is distorted by anti-American propaganda, and stop speaking for 'We' and instead use your own damn independent thought processes.

Are older Turkish men all such drama queens? Can't handle a little action with your heaping plate of propaganda, sir?

Try that shit with me, and you'll get more than an organ removed Turk boy. Can you imagine Americans going around after a film about the 9-11 hijacking, specifically 'Flight 97' shown recently here, talking about doing the same to Arabs. Who is the tolerant, enlightened society here?

Oh, we can't wait. :cof:

The sequel:

:blowup:

in the name of entertainment all the time.

Look at "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom," for example, where the Hindu sect that worships the female aspect of the divinity--perhaps one of the oldest Indo-European religious practices, and an entirely peaceful mainstream branch of Hinduism--is depicted as cannibalistic heathens.

Mariner.

Mariner said:

Look at "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom," for example, where the Hindu sect that worships the female aspect of the divinity--perhaps one of the oldest Indo-European religious practices, and an entirely peaceful mainstream branch of Hinduism--is depicted as cannibalistic heathens.

Mariner.

Sure they are ........ :death:

Mariner said:

Mariner.

Actually, the cult in "Temple of Doom" is supposed to be a splinter group from that sect of Hinduism, thus the line Indy chants to light/heat up the stones, "You betrayed Shiva! *bunch of stuff I couldn't understand*"

You also cannot justify bad actions by other bad actions. Yeah, some American movie companies have crapped on other races/cultures for entertainment, and it's usually pretty tasteless, and I don't watch crap like that. This movie, however, is not satire or intended to be seen as pure fiction. They mixed in just enough truth to get some people to think it's all true. It's propoganda, plain and simple, and the fact that they insult my intelligence by claiming that they don't actually think of America as an enemy just makes me wanna puke.

Comrade said:
Oops, forgot the quote the article I quoted from. This was on Drudge:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/13/news/journal.php

Your quotes above do not match IHT's news on this link ;)
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/13/news/journal.php

read it again. For the organs this was all inspired by real events in Turkey.

Yes Turkish people did go into this film, as it is the Blockbuster of the most populest TV-series in Turkey. The theory behind this is to let Turkeys most loved TV-star have revenge against Americans for suleymaniye incident. As the film starts with suleymaniye incident..

If we love portraying US as evil ? Maybe, maybe not. How do you stand to "Midnight express" or TV-series like "Westwing" and "24" ?

1- movies are crap these days. who really gives two shits about movies any more? I mean, you look at movies these days, you know what you're expecting. movies have NEVER been very good with the truth... they're always taking liberties. I can count on one hand the # of movies even loosely based on actual events in the last forty years that have been faithful to detail.

2- Anti-American feelings in Turkey have solid basis in actual grievance. The Turks do not want to see their country broken up by the Kurds (I say this as a full supporter of the Kurds and their right/need to nationhood) and the subsequent violence that could unfold before, during and after such a climatic event. They rightfully imagine Al-Qaeda and other terrorist groups that hold a historic grudge against the Turks for breaking up the Caliphate in the 1920's as taking advantage of this chaos and setting up in the country and mounting jihadist attacks against Turks.
Regardless of how Turks felt about Saddam Hussein, they did not want the Iraq War because they felt the Kurds would break apart from the Shia and the Sunni and declare their own state. As America can often only see events in its backyard through singular prism (i.e Latin America through the security prism of drugs and radical leftists like Castro and Chavez) so the Turks can only see events and changes in their backyard through Kurdish nationalism and chaos that invites Islamic fundamentalists.

3- Turkish popular culture is being inflirated by the 5th Columnist jihadists who are doing their best to poison relations between Turkey and the West and Israel. This movie (and much of the political leadership in charge of Turkey at this point) was concieved by these 5th Columnists.

The best thing for us to is ignore this and focus on the long view in Turkish-US relations, i.e., getting them back on track to the point where movies like this will no longer be made with the kind of vile lies packed in them as this one.

NATO AIR said:
1- movies are crap these days. who really gives two shits about movies any more? I mean, you look at movies these days, you know what you're expecting. movies have NEVER been very good with the truth... they're always taking liberties. I can count on one hand the # of movies even loosely based on actual events in the last forty years that have been faithful to detail.

2- Anti-American feelings in Turkey have solid basis in actual grievance. The Turks do not want to see their country broken up by the Kurds (I say this as a full supporter of the Kurds and their right/need to nationhood) and the subsequent violence that could unfold before, during and after such a climatic event. They rightfully imagine Al-Qaeda and other terrorist groups that hold a historic grudge against the Turks for breaking up the Caliphate in the 1920's as taking advantage of this chaos and setting up in the country and mounting jihadist attacks against Turks.
Regardless of how Turks felt about Saddam Hussein, they did not want the Iraq War because they felt the Kurds would break apart from the Shia and the Sunni and declare their own state. As America can often only see events in its backyard through singular prism (i.e Latin America through the security prism of drugs and radical leftists like Castro and Chavez) so the Turks can only see events and changes in their backyard through Kurdish nationalism and chaos that invites Islamic fundamentalists.

3- Turkish popular culture is being inflirated by the 5th Columnist jihadists who are doing their best to poison relations between Turkey and the West and Israel. This movie (and much of the political leadership in charge of Turkey at this point) was concieved by these 5th Columnists.

The best thing for us to is ignore this and focus on the long view in Turkish-US relations, i.e., getting them back on track to the point where movies like this will no longer be made with the kind of vile lies packed in them as this one.
Good POV, Nato. I sincerely hope that most Turks view movies like a lot of Americans do...purely entertainment. Michael Moore pretty much ruined the word 'documentary' as it applies to film making and like you, I have not seen anything out of Hollywood that could be considered the truth in recent years.

Canavar posts:

If we love portraying US as evil ? Maybe, maybe not. How do you stand to "Midnight express" or TV-series like "Westwing" and "24" ?

Most US citizens are comfortable with the good done by our country, on our behalf, around the world.

Movies such as you`ve started this thread with, are no different than the crap coming out of commiewood.

Commiewood wouldn`t know a FACT if it crawled up its ass, and set off a bomb.

The movie "Midnight express" was for entertainment, if someone took it serious, they may want to consider counseling.

As to ANY TV series, "Westwing", and "24" being two really terrible examples, they TOO are for entertainment purposes only.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND? :read:

trobinett said:
Canavar posts:

Most US citizens are comfortable with the good done by our country, on our behalf, around the world.

Movies such as you`ve started this thread with, are no different than the crap coming out of commiewood.

Commiewood wouldn`t know a FACT if it crawled up its ass, and set off a bomb.

The movie "Midnight express" was for entertainment, if someone took it serious, they may want to consider counseling.

As to ANY TV series, "Westwing", and "24" being two really terrible examples, they TOO are for entertainment purposes only.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND? :read:

First, i didn't start this thread.
Second, when midnight express, 24, westwing is entertainment why is "Valley of the wolves iraq" not entertainment? i don't get the logic behind of the classification what counts for you as entertainment and what not.

Forum List

Back