Turkey's Press Crackdown Continues

allegedly belonging to a secret organization, Ergenekon

Felice Casson, the Italian Gladio-Prossecutor has arrested about 600 people. Including Journalists.

We can't tolerate power-structures outside of the constitution, who have weapon caches and are plotting to overthrow governments (people's will).

Gladio prosecutor Casson: Ergenekon-like organizations spread like cancer
Former Italian President Cossiga says Turkish Gladio was unique

If the arrested Journalists are not guilty, they will be released.

and when do you think that will happen? 1 year 5 , 10?

If they want to make "Patriot Act"-wiretapping and engage in "embedded journalism" to propagandize society into hate, they should move to USA.

Here in Turkey, we still want to live in a clean society.

please explain to me your idea of what constitutes-

embedded journalism

propagandize society into hate

embedded journalism

Exactly what the USA represents, and how the USA incited hate against a country with "embedded journalism".

embedded journalism

Exactly what the USA represents, and how the USA incited hate against a country with "embedded journalism".

uh huh, we are not talking about the US we are talking about Turkey unless you want to provide exact examples of the US inciting 'hate"........and sorry that explains nothing, to explain is to provide examples and structure an argument this-

Füle slams Turkey on media freedom
Published: 04 March 2011 | Updated: 10 March 2011

Enlargement Commissioner Štefan Füle expressed concern yesterday (3 March) over arrests of journalists in EU hopeful Turkey. Seven journalists have been arrested in an alleged plot to overthrow the government. EurActiv Turkey contributed to this article.

The European Commission is following with concern the recent police actions against journalists, including the detention today of Nedim Şener, Ahmet Şık and others and the arrests last week of ODA TV site administrators Soner Yalçın, Barış Terkoğlu and Barış Pehlivan," Füle said in a statement.

The commissioner recalled that the EU executive highlighted in its report on Turkey the high number of court cases against journalists and undue pressure on the media, which undermines press freedom.

"Turkish law does not sufficiently guarantee freedom of expression in line with the European Convention on Human Rights and the European Court of Human Rights," Füle said, reminding that freedom of expression and freedom of the media are fundamental principles for all modern democracies.

According to press reports, the journalists arrested are part of an official inquiry into an alleged plot to undermine the Islamist-rooted government and trigger a military coup, called the Ergenekon conspiracy.

Dozens of Ergenekon suspects are in prison but it often takes months for them to reach trial.

Onur Öymen, vice-president of the Republican Party (CHP), the largest opposition force in Turkey, told EurActiv in a recent interview that people accused under the Ergenekon case have all been arrested and released several times. As the judges of this trial have recently been changed, it is believed that the tensions are a result of the change of judges.

Öymen also called the media situation in Turkey "very bad".

Press freedom has come under pressure since the Justice and Development Party (AKP) came to power in 2002, although in theory it is protected by law, EurActiv Turkey reported from Istanbul.

Füle slams Turkey on media freedom | EurActiv

Last edited:
Turkey on media freedom - AKP puts pressure on media, says CHP leader

ASLI AYDINTASBAS said:
Turkey's Press Crackdown Continues

Journalists are being jailed for an alleged coup plot and we all assume our phones are tapped.

Aydintasbas: Turkey's Press Crackdown Continues - WSJ.com

detained early in the morning for supposedly trying to overthrow the government.

Since 2007, more than a hundred uniformed and retired military officials, secular dissidents, journalists and academics have been arrested for allegedly belonging to a secret organization, Ergenekon, plotting to overthrow the government. Add in the widespread use of wiretaps, and you'll begin to get a sense of what it's like to be a journalist critical of the Turkish government. We live in an atmosphere of constant fear.

It is the Kafkaesque nature of these trials against journalists that kills me. It takes months before you see an indictment and years until your case is properly heard. Mustafa Balbay, a columnist for Turkey's foremost secular paper, Cumhuriyet, has been in jail for 730 days. He stands accused of helping the coup by deciding not to publish his off-the-record conversations with generals in 2003.

Our colleague Nedim has written award-winning books. One unearthed police misconduct in the 2007 assassination of Armenian journalist Hrant Dink, and another exposed the influence of Fethullah Gulen—an Islamic preacher living in the United States—on Turkish security forces. For his investigative work, he was named World Press Freedom Hero by the International Press Institute in 2010.

EU Calls Turkey "The Bad Model"

Erodogan's perplexing inconsistency regarding Egypt and Libya calls for an explanation. Evidently, Erodogan has not provided one. It's almost as if he ignores the violence perpetrated by Qaddafi on his own people and seeks to benefit in the domestic political arena from an anti-West diatribe. Perhaps he'll answer questions at a press conference -- Before all the journalists who would ask such questions are in jail.

Media self-censorship: not just a problem for Turkey | Michael White | Politics | guardian.co.uk

During his visit to Germany, Turkey's prime minister said children of Turks living here should learn Turkish first. His comment sparked a contentious debate.

It's not hard to see where Turkey is going. Western style freedoms is not on that path. Islamic fundamentalism (read Ottoman Empire) part deux.

embedded journalism

uh huh, we are not talking about the US we are talking about Turkey unless you want to provide exact examples of the US inciting 'hate"........and sorry that explains nothing, to explain is to provide examples and structure an argument this-

Füle slams Turkey on media freedom
Published: 04 March 2011 | Updated: 10 March 2011

Enlargement Commissioner Štefan Füle expressed concern yesterday (3 March) over arrests of journalists in EU hopeful Turkey. Seven journalists have been arrested in an alleged plot to overthrow the government. EurActiv Turkey contributed to this article.

The European Commission is following with concern the recent police actions against journalists, including the detention today of Nedim Şener, Ahmet Şık and others and the arrests last week of ODA TV site administrators Soner Yalçın, Barış Terkoğlu and Barış Pehlivan," Füle said in a statement.

The commissioner recalled that the EU executive highlighted in its report on Turkey the high number of court cases against journalists and undue pressure on the media, which undermines press freedom.

"Turkish law does not sufficiently guarantee freedom of expression in line with the European Convention on Human Rights and the European Court of Human Rights," Füle said, reminding that freedom of expression and freedom of the media are fundamental principles for all modern democracies.

According to press reports, the journalists arrested are part of an official inquiry into an alleged plot to undermine the Islamist-rooted government and trigger a military coup, called the Ergenekon conspiracy.

Dozens of Ergenekon suspects are in prison but it often takes months for them to reach trial.

Onur Öymen, vice-president of the Republican Party (CHP), the largest opposition force in Turkey, told EurActiv in a recent interview that people accused under the Ergenekon case have all been arrested and released several times. As the judges of this trial have recently been changed, it is believed that the tensions are a result of the change of judges.

Öymen also called the media situation in Turkey "very bad".

Press freedom has come under pressure since the Justice and Development Party (AKP) came to power in 2002, although in theory it is protected by law, EurActiv Turkey reported from Istanbul.

Füle slams Turkey on media freedom | EurActiv

In exactly 3 months will be elections. On 12th June.
The Prime Minister is only to be held accountable to the voters.
To no one else. Simple as that.

The West or some Israelians aren't the babysitter of the Turkish voter.
If the voter sees a problem in democracy, they will kick him out of office.
Prime Minister Erdogan will get absolute majority in the elections.

There will partake 27 parties in the elections. AKP is polling between 48-50%.

Erodogan's perplexing inconsistency regarding Egypt and Libya calls for an explanation.

There is nothing to explain, simple as that.
The Prime MInister is neither accountable to you, nor would he give really a fuck about you.

TurkishGeneralElection_2007.png

Greatest concerns of Turkish voter:

Ergenekon terrorist organization. Under the investigation, the journalists are being detained.

anket2.jpg

Shall coup-plotters be tried?
Red is yes.
anket3.jpg

Only this counts, not what you think.

Not even that counts ekrem. If Turkey continues to lose it's freedoms, then it is clear. That's what counts. Not your pretty graphics. I saw Turkey's other pretty graphics. The Armenians all lost their freedoms in Turkey. Turks murdered them all in cold blood. All gone. None left.

Like this?

armenian_genocide_map.gif

That doesn't count anymore?

All gone ekrem.

And you are an Israeli-Lewinsky sucking congress dick

Awww. You say the kindest things. :cool:

Coming from such a genocidal people as the Turks, I will not let what you said bother me.

I neither give a fuck about you nor the Armenians.

Of course not. I am a Jew and the Armenians are Christians.

Turks are Muslims. Of course you do not care about Jews or Christians. Turks perform genocide on those they do not care about. The Kurds are being slaughtered by Turks as I post this.

And the crackdowns show what Turkey thinks of Freedom of the Press. Every day there are more Burkas and Hijabs on the streets of Turkey. Less press freedoms and a pro Islamic government working towards ...
turkey is not a very clean society at all, and that is before you cover the diplomatic issues between turkey and armenia over the past. thanks to turkish and armenian nationalists working together the protocols were a disastrous failure, the border opening would have benefited both countries by linking armenia, azerbaijan and turkey together, trade ties would have gradually improved relations. As for the genocide issue, i think it could be easily resolved by the turkish banks giving back the money deposited during ww1 to the relatives, that would calm the issue down.

qft

Erodogan's perplexing inconsistency regarding Egypt and Libya calls for an explanation.

There is nothing to explain, simple as that.
The Prime MInister is neither accountable to you, nor would he give really a fuck about you.

It's not about me. It's about Turkey cracking down on their journalists. Whether you support them or not. :)
As the islamist gain power, people will lose more and more of their freedoms. Turkey is muslim utopia waiting to happen :eusa_shhh:

Indeed. There is not much doubt where this path will lead. Sooner or later even the Turkish expat apologists will see that path.

Their eyes are clouded and can not see the truth for their lies.

I can also delete my posts, you fucking cocksucker.

Yes, but I have them. Here they are.

You are a real snaky, trick playing Jewish Congress dick sucker.
Fuck you and your kind.

Forum List

Back