Turkey: The Senate Was Wrong, But Turkey May No Longer Be Our Friends

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Watching Carnavar change over time, I must say I'm unsurprised at what is being found here:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MmE5NTRjYWViOTMxMDI4Mjg4MjM2ZGY3ZTZhYmUzMmE=

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Hardly Turkish Delight [Victor Davis Hanson]

I thought (and wrote to that effect) that both the gratuitous and toothless Senate resolutions calling for the de facto trisection of Iraq, and condemnation of Turkey for the century-old Armenian holocaust were unnecessary barbs that would only inflame an already anti-American Turkey.

BUT we should confess that much of Turkish anti-Americanism is ill-founded and derives from their own ongoing fights between Islamists and Attaturk Secularists and has nothing to do with anything the United States has done. Recent polls reveal that Turks are among the most anti-American and anti-Christian peoples in the world, the latter fact not surprising to anyone who reads deeply of the 500-year history of Hellenic-Ottoman relations.

A second point: by and large the United States has treated Turkey well. We support its entry into the EU; we tried to be fair in the Cyprus dispute (despite the Turkish brutal invasion in 1974); we offered a lot of money to use bases to supply the invasion of Iraq; we advise the Greeks patience in the face of constant Turkish overflights in the Aegean. We were a good ally in the Cold War, and kept the Soviets doing to Turkey what it did to Eastern Europe.

Again, nothing really justifies the elemental hatred that the present generation of Turkey seems to exhibit for America, or the perverted manifestations of anti-Semitism or things like the mega-hit, anti-American film and subsequent TV series Valley of the Wolves (replete with murderous American soldiers and an organ-harvesting Jewish doctor).

Where does that leave us? I believe we need to cool the resolutions, continue to talk nicely to Turkey, send out diplomatic peace-feelers, assuage Turkish wounded pride, hope for the best—and start making immediate contingency plans for a possible dramatic break from this erstwhile critical Nato ally.

And that would mean backup plans should it become necessary to abandon facilities inside Turkey, and seek closer relations with Armenia, Kurdistan, Greece, Cyprus, and other regional neighbors. Perhaps both sides have been clumsy, but there are developments going on in Turkey that are far larger than inept diplomacy, and we should quit denying the danger, or despair that without the old Turkey we are adrift in the Eastern Mediterranean. We are not.

We should never promote such divides, but recognize the current course of Turkish politics is not necessary ahistorical, but may in fact be a natural reaction against the historical aberration of Attaturk's secularism, as European Turkey begins to become overwhelmed, demographically and culturally, by anti-Western, anti-globalization Anatolian Islamism, and thus begins to replay the historical role of the Ottomans-whom, contrary to current orthodoxy, I don't find to have very been positive for civilization as a whole.

10/23 07:20 AM

Maybe for Province Americans it is right to blackmail everything with Islamofascism.
People who intened to consume more depth analysis, may look here from The Brookings Institute:

The Anatomy of Anti-Americanism in Turkey
Terrorism, at best, is defined locally and within the framework of domestic grievances. Turkey’s focus on the PKK, in that sense is a national concern and creates no solidarity with Americans who instead tend to focus on the al-Qaeda threat. Quite the opposite, Turkey’s concern about the PKK is often accompanied with conspiracies about American support for Kurdish nationalism that only exacerbate anti-Americanism.
http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Files/rc/articles/2005/1116turkey_taspinar/taspinar20051116.pdf

What is for USA Al-Qaeda is for Turkey PKK.
Whilst Turkey is combatting Al-Qaeda, USA is not in case of PKK.
Although PKK is harboured in Iraq and attacks from there our people, USA as occupation force gives PKK activities an umbrella and just talks of how unfortunate they are Turkish people dying.
We are the only country suffering from Terrorism out of Iraq. Everyone else is exporting terrorism into Iraq.

You have no clue, Kathianne, what you are talking about.
With that Article which simply puts it that way, that Anti-Americanism comes from Islamofascism you try to label me in this category.
The truth is the opposite:
On the other hand, it would be misleading to blame the power mass media for the current scale and scope of anti-Americanism in Turkey. Similarly, blaming the unilateralism of the Bush administration would be reductionist. How can one otherwise explain the fact that George Soros, a Democrat financier-philanthropist who loathes the Bush administration, is almost equally reviled in Turkish circles? Turkish distrust of the United States does not discriminate ideologically.

So you either can play Psychologist with Nationalreview Link trying to analyze me changeing, or you just keep to facts that ressintenemts in Turkey is not limited to any ideology. How about you connect these things to exponentially rising Attacks against our citizens from US occupied Iraq.
Security threats unite whole Turks. And Security Threat comes direct from US-occupied IRAQ.

User ONEDOMINO always comes with Pew datas. But in same datas it is said, that 2/3 of Turkish public regard USA as direct threat to national security.
There are no such things as alliances.

Nearly two-thirds of the Turkish public named the United States as their country's greatest future threat, a recent Pew Global Attitudes Project survey has revealed – the highest percentage of any Middle Eastern or Islamic country polled.

Dr. Emre Erdogan, a political scientist and founding partner of Infakto Research Workshop, says that this is "a result of intensifying terrorist activities of the PKK" – an armed militant group founded in the 1970s also known as the Kurdistan Workers Party – which has found increasing support since the Iraq war began.

The Turkish people "perceive the US as responsible for the worsening situation," said Erdogan in a World Public Opinion (WPO)/Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA) analysis of the Pew results.

The "increasing terrorist and political activity of the PKK" is seen to be "under direct supervision of the Northern Iraq Administration and the US," and the Turkish media "continuously present evidence for this [US-PKK] collaboration," said Erdogan.
http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=39186

Everywhere in Turkey are these days protests about latest PKK-Attacks. In every city.
Istanbul Protests: "Curse the PKK, Curse America"
Young people gathered at a statue of Kemal Ataturk, Turkey's secular founder, and unfurled a banner reading, "Americans Murder Your Darling Mehmet.” (Mehmet is a common male name in Turkey and synonym for Soldiers.)
http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/...nbul_protests_curse_the_pkk.html?hpid=topnews

I give a shit about all yours and onedominos simplified Islamofascism anaylses.
TURKEY is alone in its fight against Terrorism. No one helps, even worse, everyone tries to block Turkey in fight its terrorist.
This will ultimately stop for once and all. Politicians were since 2003 not able to get clear answer from our so-called allies.
Now everything is in the initiative of Turkish Army.
We have many options and we want clear position from USA: With us or against us. This is no more an issue to talk about or negotiate about. Everyone has to take its sides. This is very serious issue, loosing 40 people in a month to Iraqi-originated Terrorism is nothing a State like Turkey can live with.
The Ankara government has been pressing the Bush administration to hit PKK bases for at least four years. The administration has responded with a combination of empty promises of future action and excuses that U.S. forces are already overstretched in Iraq. For the Turks, who contribute more than 1,000 troops to NATO's mission in Afghanistan, U.S. nonfeasance is a mystery, if not an outright conspiracy.
http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/bstephens/?id=110010769

We are sick of loosing our peoples, and we will make halt to all this in that georgraphy where it comes from, also giving a big lecture to those tribe leaders in North-Iraq harbouring those terrorists and rearming them. We will eliminate those Barzani. Our state knows very well what is going on.
Everyone has to choose its sides.
This is short-term action. What this all means in geostrategy, and for future i also feel capable of talking about, if there are such questions or interest to talk about.

But the main question is, why USA not acting against PKK?
Even not one Air Force bullet has fallen on them down. Allthough they are recognized also on your State Departments Terror List.
It comes also more worse. That part of Turkish-US friendship which is left, USA and now also Turkish Army is prepared to throw over about the question if Terrorists are eliminiated which both countries recognize as Terrorists.
Public may not know these answers. Turkish Institutions from National Security Council to Armed Forces know.
And they gave decision not to risk our people's life anymore to this shadowy war against Turkey, where PKK is used as a proxy.
No matter what cost.

Canavar, no one has said Turkey should allow PKK free access to incursions and attacks. That was not the point, in anything Hanson wrote or I commented on. However, the points made by both, you have exemplified here.

The quotation relies on this article
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/23/world/middleeast/23kurds.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

US Supports Terrorists That are Also Not Terrorists

Today the war in Iraq helps demonstrate the absurdity of the war on terror. The evidence is found in an October 23rd New York Times article entitled, "In Iraq, Conflict Simmers on a 2nd Kurdish Front." The piece discusses Kurdish insurgents from the Party for Free Life in Kurdistan, or PJAK, who are proudly waging a guerrilla war against Iran. The PJAK is an offshoot of the Kurdistan Worker's Party, or PKK, who instead of on Iran, proudly wage a guerrilla war against Turkey.
Now, the absurdity of the situation lies in the fact that while the US classifies the PKK a terrorist organization, it doesn't classify the PJAK as terrorists, because of the fact that it wages war on Iran. In fact, as the article notes, PJAK commanders boast of having significant contacts and consultation with American military officials. Astonishingly, the leader of the PJAK, which it should be emphasized again, is an off-shoot of a terrorist group, was actually allowed to visit Washington last summer.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ali-eteraz/us-supports-terrorists-th_b_69536.html

That's it. USA thought to redraw the Mid-East without Turkey. It chose the Kurds.
Turkey will now take that card out of the hand of USA by invadeing that 70.000 km² of North-Iraq. Size of materials on Turkish boarder do not indicate an operation, but an classical invasion.
Targets are clear: PKK+Barzani.

Everything against our will is temporarily. We as strongest country around decide what happens permanent on our boarder. Not anyone else. We will not let establish anyone an entity which is against our national security and those leaders like Barzani, in the shadow of USA, think of theirselves in a position to take up on Turkey harbouring terrorists and supplying them from electricity to weapons.

Then the USA has neither anymore the "Kurdish card" to play against Iran, nor an allied Turkey. If there is a confrontation of any sort between both our countries, it shall be. It is a question of National Security to us, and we have hold still for too long now. Since 2003.
In case of a confrontation, Neocons can put their attention to Turkey and Iran in the shadow can progress with its plans you claim they have.
Confronting Turkey needs all your ressources. Believe me or not. I will not again begin with quotes/datas/links describing Turkish dominance in this region.
It was naive from the beginning from Neocons to do anything against Turkish will.

This is the source of Anti-Americanism in Turkey. A foolish USA which instrumentalizes PKK with its sister organization PJAK over Turkish Life.
Maybe USA's motive is not primarily to damage Turkey, but you can not control an Terrorist organization telling them "Don't attack Turkey, but attack Iran".
It will do what it chooses to do.
This is all a dirty game and we know everything about. PKK is top agenda in Turkey again since 2003 in media, and people's daily life. You Americans and those province Americans within you even more did not even know how to write PKK once i came to this board. I remember GunnyL writing about "PPK".

That's it. It is all related to Iran. USA needs Kurdish nationalism, Kurdish cannon fodder and Kurdish Terrorist groups for every possibility to confront Iran.
That is also the case, why all this stuff have brought Turkish-USA relations to that point where it now stands. This is dirty calculation from your policy makers.

But what in the end have you gained when Turkish Army will take that "Kurdish Card" out of your hands?
Then all calculation was absurd and you also irreperably damaged the mightiest country in this region. The only option to contain Iran once US Army leaves Mid-East. Factors like Israel-Turkey relations i do not even mention.

Our relations with Iran were before 2003 very sour. Now Iran is partner in terrorism fight. Iran has more threats like USA, Israel etc.. But also Kurdish Terorists and Kurdish cannon fodder. PKK is PJAK. So both countries cooperate.

And USA? USA does not cooperate, it intentionally makes umbrella over PKK/PJAK , seeing Turkish deaths from PKK as collateral damage in big picture.
No one can expect that everyone has to follow USA security interpretation, and USA can also not expect from Turkey to have good relations with USA, it must play cannon fodder. Who the fuck you think we are ?

So this issue is very serious stuff. And Turkey will project its interests in the region. With you or against you. It is your choice.
We will first begin with PKK and Barzani. This is security issue for us, and as collateral damage will sabotage your Kurdish card for every eventuality in Iran.

UK, Turkey sign strategic partnership
http://www2.irna.ir/en/news/view/line-20/0710235892181107.htm

- We will extend bilateral trade
- establish British-Turkish joint universities
- cooperate in pipeline and energy politics
- create Industrial zone in Basra (Iraq)
- deepen intergration into EU
- make cultural exchange programs.
- deepen security and intelligence cooperation
- coordinate counter-terrorism activities
and many many more.

Both our countries regard vice-verca as "strategic partners".
And this phrase is worth its ink on the paper written. Unlike to other "allies".

So roomy you either go on playing "schizophrenic" English-Man diametrically against your countries stance, or just stop spamming at me.
I can not take you seriously.

UK, Turkey sign strategic partnership
http://www2.irna.ir/en/news/view/line-20/0710235892181107.htm

- We will extend bilateral trade
- establish British-Turkish joint universities
- cooperate in pipeline and energy politics
- create Industrial zone in Basra (Iraq)
- deepen intergration into EU
- make cultural exchange programs.
- deepen security and intelligence cooperation
- coordinate counter-terrorism activities
and many many more.

Both our countries regard vice-verca as "strategic partners".
And this phrase is worth its ink on the paper written. Unlike to other "allies".

So roomy you either go on playing "schizophrenic" English-Man diametrically against your countries stance, or just stop spamming at me.
I can not take you seriously.

Turkey is a tool for the west, you are being used as a pinch bar against the rest of the Muslim world you ignorant, childish fool.

Turkey is a tool for the west, you are being used as a pinch bar against the rest of the Muslim world you ignorant, childish fool.

Whew! For a minute there canavar had me thinking our British cousins were abandoning us. I thought you blokes had found yourselves a new best friend and would be taking the side of the Turks in all matters international. ;)

http://www.number10.gov.uk/output/Page13591.asp
Mr. Einstein, so UK as biggest EU-lobbyist before Italy, Spain and Scandinavian countries is supporting Turkey on EU accession because the west is useing Turkey against the rest of the "Muslim world". :cuckoo:

Also UK is supporter of Turkish-Iran energy cooperation.
Because UK will itself profit from this via energy cooperation with Turkey.
UK backs an Iran / Turkey gas deal
http://www.gas-guide.org.uk/blog-uk-backs-an-iran-turkey-gas-deal-63.html

British energy companies and Turkish companies will invest in Joint-Venture into gas fields in Iraq.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/natural_resources/article1512222.ece

Next step is setting up joint-venture Industrial Zones in South-Iraq from UK and Turkish industry companies.
Establishing joint universities and so on. Whole range from security, energy, economy, intelligence, culture.

This is no usage in meaning of ownage.
This is cooperation to multiply both countries interests in the region by working together.

And now please stop with spam. I am expactant of what Americans have to say to my posts.

http://www.number10.gov.uk/output/Page13591.asp
Mr. Einstein, so UK as biggest EU-lobbyist before Italy, Spain and Scandinavian countries is supporting Turkey on EU accession because the west is useing Turkey against the rest of the "Muslim world". :cuckoo:

Also UK is supporter of Turkish-Iran energy cooperation.
Because UK will itself profit from this via energy cooperation with Turkey.
UK backs an Iran / Turkey gas deal
http://www.gas-guide.org.uk/blog-uk-backs-an-iran-turkey-gas-deal-63.html

British energy companies and Turkish companies will invest in Joint-Venture into gas fields in Iraq.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/natural_resources/article1512222.ece

Next step is setting up joint-venture Industrial Zones in South-Iraq from UK and Turkish industry companies.
Establishing joint universities and so on. Whole range from security, energy, economy, intelligence, culture.

This is no usage in meaning of ownage.
This is cooperation to multiply both countries interests in the region by working together.

And now please stop with spam. I am expactant of what Americans have to say to my posts.

We will use Turkey to further our own ends, we have done similar throughout history.When you are no longer useful you will be pissed against the wind:cool:
Do you people still chase after small boys and girls?:evil:

Whew! For a minute there canavar had me thinking our British cousins were abandoning us. I thought you blokes had found yourselves a new best friend and would be taking the side of the Turks in all matters international. ;)

Your thoughts are not that what i said.
Turkey and UK cooperate well.
There is no equation that everything is dependent on USA. In this clarification either UK or Turkey can make what they want in their bilateral relations, and actually we do for centuries.
Allthough my sentences were made on a US message board, it was related to an English man who thinks trying to piss me in every post he makes.

I just tell him, that he acts schizophrenic diametral to his own Nation's stance.
And now enough, i think roomy got the message, that he has heavy knowledge gaps about Turkey-UK relations.

Your thoughts are not that what i said.
Turkey and UK cooperate well.
There is no equation that everything is dependent on USA. In this clarification either UK or Turkey can make what they want in their bilateral relations, and actually we do for centuries.
Allthough my sentences were made on a US message board, it was related to an English man who thinks trying to piss me in every post he makes.

I just tell him, that he acts schizophrenic diametral to his own Nation's stance.
And now enough, i think roomy got the message, that he has heavy knowledge gaps about Turkey-UK relations.

Murdering, child molesting bastards.

Boy howdy, feel the love!

Turkey hates us because we don't let them walk all over us. Poor babies.

Watching Carnavar change over time, I must say I'm unsurprised at what is being found here:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MmE5NTRjYWViOTMxMDI4Mjg4MjM2ZGY3ZTZhYmUzMmE=
I have been saying for years that there will be a trifecta. (if you want to call it that. in Iraq There is no way that they will come up with a tripower government. and Since this is about turkey, I have also stated that the final results will be a kurd nation made up of northern Iraq, and several other portions to include part of Turkey.

What did that GREAT African American Rodney King have to say on this issue? Ohh I remember " Can't we all just get along?"

I suspect we can get along with Turkey just fine after we pummel them like Rodney was.

hey now..

Rodney wasn't asking to have the shit kicked out of him... whereas...

Forum List

Back