Turkey "Holy Grail" for Somalia

ekrem

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2005
Turkey takes lead in rebuilding Somalia - CSMonitor.com

Somalia's Prime Minister Abdiweli Mohamed Ali said Turkey had "changed the landscape in Somalia".

"They are the sponsor we have been looking for the last 20 years. They are the Holy Grail for Somalia," said Ali, who returned from the United States in 2010, initially taking up a ministerial job in the fractured and graft-prone government.
INSIGHT-Turkey tries out soft power in Somalia | Reuters

[youtube]Xc8dvFGCie4[/youtube]

"Turkey's national interests in the seas reach from its surrounding waters to the Suez Canal and the Indian Ocean."
Articles: Erdogan and the Long Shadow of Lepanto

Somalia is ideally located to establish naval presence:
330p.png

The real money is going to come from China, though.

China owns half of Africa, and anything they want, they can buy.

Good on Turkey for getting in there, but if China isn't in Somalia, it's because they don't see a business case.

The real money is going to come from China, though.

China owns half of Africa, and anything they want, they can buy.

Good on Turkey for getting in there, but if China isn't in Somalia, it's because they don't see a business case.

The land of Somalia actually has alot of potential, the location is perfect right off the ocean. The only reason more people aren't buying in is because of the lack of stability and total choas for the last 20+ years.

HG -

Absolutely there is a lot of potential....at least for fishing, perhaps tourism and a few other agricultural crops. And I'm not sure about what mineral wealth they might have....possibly some oil or gas.

But the population is so desperately uneducated, there is no stability, half of the country is desert, and there are two major breakaway states....I'm not planning a trip there myself.

HG -

Absolutely there is a lot of potential....at least for fishing, perhaps tourism and a few other agricultural crops. And I'm not sure about what mineral wealth they might have....possibly some oil or gas.

But the population is so desperately uneducated, there is no stability, half of the country is desert, and there are two major breakaway states....I'm not planning a trip there myself.

There are 2 parts of Somalia that want to break away and have their own countries, Puntland and Somaliland I believe. No doubt there is too much instability and anarchy for foreigners to go there and invest, its a pity because thats the main thing stopping Somalia from getting their shit together.

Forum List

Back