Turkey Causes New Concern for Syrian Kurds

kirkuki

Apr 20, 2012
Kirkuk - Kurdistan
thumbnail.php

LONDON, England -- The arrest of a Syrian Kurdish political figure during the recent ‘Friends of Syria’ conference in Istanbul and the subsequent immigration restrictions imposed on the Turkey-based activist have reinforced mistrust towards Turkey among Syria’s Kurds.

On 1 April 2012, Yilmaz Saeed – representative of Tevgera Ciwanên Kurd (the ‘Kurdish Youth Movement’ in Syria) – was arrested by Turkish authorities, as he attempted to attend the ‘Friends of Syria’ conference in Istanbul. Mr Saeed explains that he wished to enter the conference with two colleagues in order ‘to deliver a message and ask why we had not received an invitation to the meeting.’ He describes how he was held in detention for much of the conference, awaiting the arrival of an Arabic translator and answering basic identity questions.

Following instructions from the conference team, the authorities later permitted Mr. Saeed to enter the meeting. However, he was prevented from participating fully in the conference proceedings. ‘When I entered, [Turkish Foreign Minister] Ahmet Davutoğlu was answering questions, but I was not allowed to ask a question. I wanted to pass a letter to Hilary Clinton, but was blocked by Turkish security.’

Mr. Saeed, who was himself a member of the Syrian National Council (SNC) until his withdrawal earlier this year, notes that a number of members expressed regret at his non-admittance (some even refusing to enter without him). He adds, however, that he has received no official apology from the Syrian National Council or the Turkish authorities.

As site of the formation of the Syrian National Council – the most internationally recognized body of the Syrian opposition – Turkey has played an influential role in the Syrian revolution. Syrian Kurds have long been troubled by this relationship, claiming that Turkey, as a neighbour to Syria with its own unresolved Kurdish problem, is unable to act as an unbiased host to the movement. Advocate of Kurdish rights and researcher in Peace Studies at the University of Bradford, Azad Dêwanî is apprehensive of Turkey’s agenda, which he believes ‘contradicts the pluralist democracy desired in Syria, and deprives the country of the opportunity of long-term stability in the future.’

More recently, following his participation in the ‘Democratic Front’ conference in Cairo on April 17, Mr Saeed was surprised to be refused re-entry to Turkey, where he has been permanently resident for the past ten months. He explains that, as a recognized member of the Syrian opposition, he had always been able to enter and leave Turkey as he pleased, adding ‘I left Turkey just five days ago without any problems.’ While Mr. Saeed says that no explanation was provided for his refused entry to Turkey, he believes that the decision is politically motivated, since he is a strong defender of Kurdish rights.

Mr. Saeed contacted colleagues from the Syrian National Council and the Supreme Council for the Leadership of the Syrian Revolution, who spoke with the Turkish authorities to try and solve the problem. However, after more than 24 hours in Istanbul airport, Mr Saeed was forced to book a return flight to Cairo, where he is currently hosted by friends.

The arrest of such an active figure in the opposition against Assad’s regime during the Istanbul conference and then his detention at immigration following the Cairo meeting will add to concerns about Turkey’s role in the Syrian opposition. ‘Democratic states,’ says Dêwanî, ‘should not allow the Syrian crisis to be manipulated by neighbouring countries.’ His statement alludes to the influence the Turkish state may have on the Syrian National Council, which has failed to recognize Kurdish national rights. As a result, the Kurdish National Council to which Mr. Saeed’s Tevgera Ciwanên Kurd belongs pulled out of the SNC last month. On 17 of this month leader of the SNC Burhan Ghalioun told Rudaw that ‘there is no such thing as Syrian Kurdistan.’

Mr. Saeed, who has been communicating with the Turkish authorities to solve his problem and hopefully return to Istanbul in the near future, warned that the Syrian National Council ‘could be worse than the Baath party.’

Rudaw

I thought Turkey wanted to "help" the Syrian people, why are they wasting time fucking around with the Kurds?

Ultimately, turkeys are turkeys and arabs are arabs. It was the ottoman turks who occupied the arabs for 400 years and denied their independence until the Western infidels defeated the ottomans in WW I and created the arab crapholes

I thought Turkey wanted to "help" the Syrian people, why are they wasting time fucking around with the Kurds?

Ultimately, turkeys are turkeys and arabs are arabs. It was the ottoman turks who occupied the arabs for 400 years and denied their independence until the Western infidels defeated the ottomans and created the arab crapholes

So basically, the Arabs really haven't been governing themselves until fairly recently. Well at least that explains why most of their countries are total shit boxes.

Ultimately, turkeys are turkeys and arabs are arabs. It was the ottoman turks who occupied the arabs for 400 years and denied their independence until the Western infidels defeated the ottomans and created the arab crapholes

So basically, the Arabs really haven't been governing themselves until fairly recently. Well at least that explains why most of their countries are total shit boxes.

No independent Arab country existed prior to WW I which ended Turkish control of the Middle East.

No independent Arab country existed prior to WW I which ended Turkish control of the Middle East.

That whole region is completely fucked up.

A syrian Kurd was prevented to ask a question to Turkish FM and prevented to hand-over a letter to Hillary Clinton at Syria-Conference in Istanbul.

Seems like you're not important enough.
Big and terrible story.

A syrian Kurd was prevented to ask a question to Turkish FM and prevented to hand-over a letter to Hillary Clinton at Syria-Conference in Istanbul.

Seems like you're not important enough.
Big and terrible story.

You really don't want to mention Hilary Clinton, do you?

US Criticizes Human Rights Violations In Turkey
Unlawful killings, poor prison conditions, excessively long trials and limits on freedom of expression are among the alleged human-rights violations in Turkey that the U.S. State Department denounced in a recent report.

“Security forces committed unlawful killings; the number of arrests and prosecutions in these cases was low compared to the number of incidents, and convictions remained rare,” the State Department said late Friday in the section devoted to Turkey in its annual report on the status of human rights throughout the world.

U.S. officials also commented on the recent arrests of Turkish journalists, which came too late to be included in this report, saying they would be monitored and addressed in next year’s survey.

During the year human-rights organizations reported cases of torture, beatings and abuse by security forces. Prison conditions improved but remained poor, with overcrowding and insufficient staff training,” the State Department said in its 2010 human-rights report.

“The overly close relationship between judges and prosecutors continued to hinder the right to a fair trial. Excessively long trials were a problem. The government limited freedom of expression through the use of constitutional restrictions and numerous laws,” the State Department said.

“Press freedom declined during the year. There were limitations on Internet freedom. Courts and an independent board ordered telecommunications providers to block access to Web sites on numerous occasions,” it said in the report. “Violence against women, including honor killings and rape, remained a widespread problem.”
TURKEY - US criticizes 'human rights violations' in Turkey

You can not just storm into an International Conference and act as if you're important enough to direct questions to Foreign Ministers or try to hand Foreign Minister a letter.

Everyone has its place in this world.

You can not just storm into an International Conference and act as if you're important enough to direct questions to Foreign Ministers or try to hand Foreign Minister a letter.

Erdogan is a gangster. The turks are genociders, land thieves and third world shitbags.

You're in no position to determine who's higher on the food chain.

What in the hell are you talking about?:cuckoo:

Evidently, turkey isn't "important enough" to be accepted in to the EU after all these years. And, when you're rejected by the lowly Eurotrash, you're pretty much on the bottom rung of the ladder.

Evidently, turkey isn't "important enough" to be accepted in to the EU after all these years. And, when you're rejected by the lowly Eurotrash, you're pretty much on the bottom rung of the ladder.

I only care about Turkey during Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.

turkey_dinner.jpg

Turkey Causes New Concern for Syrian Kurds

Dang...I thought this was going to be the Tofu cooking thread I have been waiting for...ah, well....

One of the outcomes of Barzanis US trip I suppose. :lol:

ERBIL, April 28 (AKnews) - The Kurdish National Council of Syria will send a delegation to Washington DC on an official visit from the US Foreign Department, said the chairman of the council.

The delegation will leave on May 6, said Abdul-Hakim Bashar who will lead the group.

The delegation will meet with senior officials while in the country and will discuss the current situation of Syria and President Bashar al-Assad's efforts to suppress public protests.

Bashar said the US administration supports the Syrian people to get rid of the current regime in Syria.

"At the same time we ask them [the US] to support, in particular the Kurdish issue after the fall of Assad's regime and recognition of the rights of Kurds as a nation in Syria," said the Kurdish official.

The Kurdish National Council of Syria was founded in October last year, almost seven months after public protests against Assad's regime ripped through the country. It aims to unite the Kurdish voice and achieve better Kurdish rights.

Kurds form the second largest ethnic group in Syria but they are not recognized as an ethnicity in the country.

By Fryad M.

www.aknews.com/en/aknews/4/304176/

Last edited:
April 8, 2012

ISTANBUL,— Meeting organized by BDP Political Academy on Syria and Middle East.

Speaking at a meeting on the Middle East and Syria organized by the pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) Istanbul Political Academy, author Faik Bulut has said Turkey is trying to prevent Kurds from obtaining autonomy in Syria by stirring up war.

Despite all political pressure and arrests, the BDP Political Academy is continuing to work. The meeting on the Middle East and Syria was attended by a great number of BDP members.

“Turkey is uncomfortable with the fact that the Kurds obtained quite a lot of rights in Syria. Turkey, that seeks to establish some sort of authority over Syria,Kurd Net - Kurdish center, Kurdistan News کورد does not want that the Kurds in Syria establish an autonomous government which will be an example for the Kurds in Turkey,” said Bulut.

Bulut also noted that Syria is falling into and being pushed to a civil war and that the developments in Syria would greatly influence Turkey in a positive or negative way.

Copyright ©, respective author or news agency, firatnews.com

Turkey is a third world shithole. Give the land back to the Christians before the turkish hoodlums stole it and make it successful like the Byzantines did.

Forum List

Back