Tuners and DVD Recorders

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
We're thinking about getting a dvd recorder for our family room. We have Comcast On Demand (black box on top of tv) and I know it has a tuner, therefore we don't need a tuner in the dvd recorder (at least, that's my understanding). Does it make any difference in how things work if we do get a dvd recorder with a tuner? I know that this recorder will, at some point, be demoted to the basement for the kids and we only have cable (no box) down there and we will need a dvd recorder w/a tuner. Just trying to think this out for down the road. Thanks for any info.

We're thinking about getting a dvd recorder for our family room. We have Comcast On Demand (black box on top of tv) and I know it has a tuner, therefore we don't need a tuner in the dvd recorder (at least, that's my understanding). Does it make any difference in how things work if we do get a dvd recorder with a tuner? I know that this recorder will, at some point, be demoted to the basement for the kids and we only have cable (no box) down there and we will need a dvd recorder w/a tuner. Just trying to think this out for down the road. Thanks for any info.

I have an older television that has a limited tuner in it. I also have Comcast basic cable without the box. I was using a Pro Scan VHS for it's tuner and to watch older tapes, it died. I picked up one of the VHS/DVD recorder w/tuner by Panasonic, it works great. Best Buy wanted 305 dollars for it but I found the deal below for a factory refurbished unit, it works great and I can convert all of my VHS tapes to DVD with it. I highly recommend it, it came in the original box and you couldn't tell it wasn't "new", it was probably a open box display unit sent back to the factory. I saved 168 dollars with tax savings and they paid for shipping!

Panasonic DMR-EZ48VK DVD/VCR Player Recorder W/ Tuner - eBay (item 370143561720 end time Jan-21-09 19:24:02 PST)

Last edited:

I have an older television that has a limited tuner in it. I also have Comcast basic cable without the box. I was using a Pro Scan VHS for it's tuner and to watch older tapes, it died. I picked up one of the VHS/DVD recorder w/tuner by Panasonic, it works great. Best Buy wanted 305 dollars for it but I found the deal below for a factory refurbished unit, it works great and I can convert all of my VHS tapes to DVD with it. I highly recommend it, it came in the original box and you couldn't tell it wasn't unused, it was probably a open box display unit sent back to the factory. I save 168 dollars with tax savings and they paid for shipping!

Thanks. I love e-bay! I just bought a Tv Guardian from there. It filters out bad language. They stopped making them about a year ago, so e-bay was my only option. My son is into action type movies and the langugage is awful. Its bad on tv too, just changing channels. :rolleyes: So we're thinking of putting that and a dvd recorder in the F.R. to record his movies so they're 'clean', then he can watch them downstairs too.

I found a Toshiba DVD recorder on Amazon for $159. It just went down from $162 in the past two hours. I'm just wondering if a cable box and a dvd recorder, both with tuners, will make something not work right or cause some kind of problem. We were considering a DVD/VCR but we still have two working vcrs and . . . no one watches the old tapes we do own.

We got a 1 1/2 yr. old Sharp tv from someone local off of craigslist for $125. Not HD or anything (waaay too expensive) but it's 25" and works great. We mostly needed it for the v-chip controls, again for the kids. Now my oldest can take the old tv to college. lol, yeah we're pretty big into getting the most use out of things.

I have an older television that has a limited tuner in it. I also have Comcast basic cable without the box. I was using a Pro Scan VHS for it's tuner and to watch older tapes, it died. I picked up one of the VHS/DVD recorder w/tuner by Panasonic, it works great. Best Buy wanted 305 dollars for it but I found the deal below for a factory refurbished unit, it works great and I can convert all of my VHS tapes to DVD with it. I highly recommend it, it came in the original box and you couldn't tell it wasn't unused, it was probably a open box display unit sent back to the factory. I save 168 dollars with tax savings and they paid for shipping!

Thanks. I love e-bay! I just bought a Tv Guardian from there. It filters out bad language. They stopped making them about a year ago, so e-bay was my only option. My son is into action type movies and the langugage is awful. Its bad on tv too, just changing channels. :rolleyes: So we're thinking of putting that and a dvd recorder in the F.R. to record his movies so they're 'clean', then he can watch them downstairs too.

I found a Toshiba DVD recorder on Amazon for $159. It just went down from $162 in the past two hours. I'm just wondering if a cable box and a dvd recorder, both with tuners, will make something not work right or cause some kind of problem. We were considering a DVD/VCR but we still have two working vcrs and . . . no one watches the old tapes we do own.

We got a 1 1/2 yr. old Sharp tv from someone local off of craigslist for $125. Not HD or anything (waaay too expensive) but it's 25" and works great. We mostly needed it for the v-chip controls, again for the kids. Now my oldest can take the old tv to college. lol, yeah we're pretty big into getting the most use out of things.

The directions on my Panasonic show how to hook it up to a cable tuner box. Part of the reason I went with the Panasonic was a number of reviews that gave it a very good review over all others including the Sonys.

The directions on my Panasonic show how to hook it up to a cable tuner box. Part of the reason I went with the Panasonic was a number of reviews that gave it a very good review over all others including the Sonys.

Thank you! I'm assuming if they're giving directions for how to hook it up to a box that has a tuner and the recorder has a tuner, then all should be fine. I've found some Panasonics I like but their recording format isn't quite as versatile as this Toshiba. Both have gotten really good reviews. I'm looking for a recorder that has the most flexible recording format. I'd like to be able to play a recorded dvd on our other dvd player and it doesn't read DVD-RW discs. Do you use rewritable disks? Any problems?

Forum List

Back