Tucson district in turmoil over state ban on ethnic studies

brokenarrow

Rookie
Apr 20, 2011
Tucson, Ariz.
Already the target of a federal lawsuit, a controversial Arizona law that essentially bans ethnic studies in public schools has pitted the largest school district in Tucson against students, parents, and other program supporters.

Hundreds of people converged Tuesday on the Tucson Unified School District headquarters to hear the governing board discuss possible changes to the district’s Mexican-American history and culture program.
Following a raucous four-hour meeting punctuated by the removal of several people from the boardroom and loud protests from the crowd, the board postponed taking action until after it convenes a public forum on the matter.

The law in question, which took effect Jan. 1 and is known as HB 2281, bans ethnic studies that promote the overthrow of the United States government and resentment toward a race or class of people. Also outlawed are classes designed primarily for students of a particular ethnic group and those that advocate ethnic solidarity rather than the treatment of students as individuals.

Tom Horne drafted the law when he was superintendent of Arizona schools. Just before he stepped down from that post to become the state’s attorney general, he found the Tucson district’s classes out of compliance with the law. The district could lose millions of dollars in funding.

The new Arizona schools superintendent, John Huppenthal, is expected to rule on whether the Tucson district’s Mexican American Studies program is in compliance with HB 2281.

Read more:
Tucson district in turmoil over state ban on ethnic studies - CSMonitor.com

----------------------------------------------------------

You keep forgetting folks. Mexicans can do no wrong. It's all America's fault. American politicians have the nerve to label Muslims as terrorist then teach America hating in a Latino classroom. This country is not to be believed.

What is the textbook for this class. How do you say "Mein Kampf" is Spanish.

I suppose they don't teach American history: it might foster hatred from Native Americans toward white people.

No world history, either, it might foster hatred against Germans.

:eek:

I suppose they don't teach American history: it might foster hatred from Native Americans toward white people.

American History and World History are completely different than Racial Pride courses.

• Banned

These ethnic studies are about how Latinos should take over the United States. Is that what I was taught in World History? :confused:

Of course, in Mexico, World History is about Latin America because nothing else exists.

(Why did you pick LA RAZA as your name? Now the damn gringos are wise to your plan to take over!!)

Last edited:
For all those naysayers: Shocking video of mom reading from third grade ethnic studies textbook

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcegwz17Zb0]YouTube - Excerpts read aloud from third grade textbook in Tucson.flv[/ame]

At 1:44 she reads: "...right to revolution. Right to overthrow the government". Then she reads "shit" and "fucking". Board member asks her not to use that language in a room where children are present. Oh the irony!

For all those naysayers: Shocking video of mom reading from third grade ethnic studies textbook

YouTube - Excerpts read aloud from third grade textbook in Tucson.flv

At 1:44 she reads: "...right to revolution. Right to overthrow the government". Then she reads "shit" and "fucking". Board member asks her not to use that language in a room where children are present. Oh the irony!

Don't you just love that fucking idiot at the end admonishing her not to swear because there are young people there even though the book she was reading from was being used to teach young people?

Can you spell hypocrisy?

on the surface htis sounds no different form many of the hate speech codicils etc. that have been enacted to protect grps. of the pop. form verbal 'harm' insult etc.

The law in question, which took effect Jan. 1 and is known as HB 2281, bans ethnic studies that promote the overthrow of the United States government and resentment toward a race or class of people.

I'd like to see more of the text, was what she read an outlier or?

• Banned

LA RAZA run public education teaches Anti-American History.

• Banned
Teach the Controversy. Aryan Studies should be taught to all students. Mein Kampf should be mandatory reading for all third-graders :thup:

:eusa_eh:teach the controversy? oh your addressing the text that apparently is taught because I have no idea where you are coming from otherwise...oh wait, the dead white guy argument?

Teach the Controversy. Aryan Studies should be taught to all students. Mein Kampf should be mandatory reading for all third-graders :thup:

You mean show Mexicans how Hitler took a defeated country and made it the most feared in the world? It's much easier to blame the United States for everything that goes wrong in Latin America.

So many hurt feelings, we will have no choice but to enroll the caucasian kids into white pride classes to boost their self esteem. :cuckoo:

So many hurt feelings, we will have no choice but to enroll the caucasian kids into white pride classes to boost their self esteem. :cuckoo:

american-school-children-bellamy-salute.jpg

american-school-children-bellamy-salute.jpg

A close look at those children reveals that they are Latinos.

Isn't that the way El Presidente salutes his cabinet?

Superintendent of Public Instruction John Huppenthal said the program, claiming it advocates solidarity among Latinos and resentment toward whites, is violating state law. He said the Tucson Unified School District had two months to comply with the law or face losing 10 percent of its annual state funding — or about $15 million.

"This is not rocket science. This is fundamental," Huppenthal said at a news conference at his Phoenix office. "They have gotten themselves in a very tight corner. The ball is back in their court."

Read more: Mexican-American Studies Program Breaks Law, Says Arizona Schools Chief - Fox News Latino

If they lose their funding I guess we can expect riots in the streets. All in the name of harmony, of course.

Forum List

Back