TSA introduces 'known-traveler' program

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
The Transportation Security Administration will unveil on Thursday a pilot version of a trusted traveler program that has been talked about as way to improve wait times at airport security, The Hill has learned.

TSA Administrator John Pistole made the announcement to a conference of aviation industry officials, saying the program would improve airport security.

The program will be tested through a partnership with Customs and Border Protection, and on some domestic flights. It is scheduled to begin in the fall.

TSA introduces 'known-traveler' program - The Hill's Transportation Report

Sign me up!

Good idea?

The Transportation Security Administration will unveil on Thursday a pilot version of a trusted traveler program that has been talked about as way to improve wait times at airport security, The Hill has learned.

TSA Administrator John Pistole made the announcement to a conference of aviation industry officials, saying the program would improve airport security.

The program will be tested through a partnership with Customs and Border Protection, and on some domestic flights. It is scheduled to begin in the fall.

Sign me up!

Good idea?

Well yeah..until someone manages to sneak in a bomb and blow up a plane under this program.

Terrible idea!!!!

That will make me even LESS likely to want to fly in the future, since I will be even less likely to believe that the people on the plane with me have been properly screened.

Sign me up!

Good idea?
They've had something similar for international travelers for a while.

My Parents use the "Trusted Traveler" program to go back and forth between their homes in Mexico and SoCal. You fill out a bunch of paperwork and if you pass the background anal exam you get a to go in the shorter line for all people in this program. They wanted me to submit the paperwork but I said no thanks.

It doesn't stop you or your car from being searched when you go into Mexico, you're just in a shorter line. And when everybody is in this program (believe me, it will become mandatory) everyone will be in the same long line but with more administrative hassles (which is I think the whole point of the program)

In needs to have a "No Muslisms Allowed" clause to work.
That would be a bad idea.

How many Catholics have blown up or hijacked airliners?
I understand why you said that. Really.

But if we profile an ethnic or religious group, it is very easy for a terrorist, Muslim or otherwise, to get around that. Profiling behavior NEEDS to be done. They keep talking about doing it, but they still don't.

That would be a bad idea.

How many Catholics have blown up or hijacked airliners?
I understand why you said that. Really.

But if we profile an ethnic or religious group, it is very easy for a terrorist, Muslim or otherwise, to get around that. Profiling behavior NEEDS to be done. They keep talking about doing it, but they still don't.

This is true too. Practicing Muslism is a big part of the behavior as well.
Fighting terrorism is not unlike a regular crime/police work. Statistics tell the story.

It boggles my mind how many of you don't realize, or don't care how much of a major loophole this would/will create. Unless you're going to tell me these people are going through a DOD level security background check (which takes months and is very intrusive) I think this is a huge mistake.

We travel quite a bit and it is terribly stressful for me. If this program saves us 15 mins of anxiety, it will be worth it.
It'll save you sometime for a while, until they make everyone get on the trusted traveler program and we'll be back to long lines again. Guaranteed.

You have a Hybrid car? Ok, you get to use the Diamond Lanes! But now you don't because there's too many of you. Oh, you bought that hybrid to save money and use the carpool lane? Sorry!

The X-Ray machine was optional, but now the TSA is moving to make it mandatory. Now they wanna' bring their traveling "Grope-Down Show" to Malls and Sporting events!

Don't submit to the prison training, resist and stop em now!

I'm hoping to get selected to participate (it's a random selection process right now) since I'm a gold-medallion level Delta frequent flier.

Forum List

Back