TSA: From Security to Stupid?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Foxfyre, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,343
    Okay, maybe I'm a prude, but after watcing several months of people being groped, poked, prodded, and essentially fondled at airports - of course they do have the option of standing naked in front of a scanner - I will think twice before subjecting myself to air travel in the immediate future.

So I'm wondering if the national conciousness re religious sensitivity will win out?

Or the unmistakable stupdity that accompanies some of the rules and regs we are now subjected to?

So what do you think? Have you accepted this latest initiative of government authority as inevitable as we seem to do with most government initiatives? Or are you still bothered by it if you ever were?

How much are we willing to allow the terrorists to affect policy that affects all of us?

I had a pair of cuticle scissors I had fogotten about confiscated from my purse. If you have ever seen cuticle scissors, they do have a sharp point but the blade is about 1/4 inch. Somebody really would have to die from a thousand cuts in order to use such as a lethal weapon. Immediately ahead of me was a gentleman with a cane that would have made a much more effective weapon.

Here is an e-mail I've received from a couple of people that may or may not be authentic. If it is, it is just one more evidence of adding absurdity to absurdity.

2. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    As far as i am concerned, profiling is the way to go.

3. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,343
    I agree. Not racial profiling but probability profiling as it is done in Israel and a few other places.

4. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,533
    Israel questions all passengers while they wait in line.

5. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,733
    I read the "email" you received and immediately figured that it was bullshit. Two seconds of googling found out that I was correct.

It is one thing to question the security measures we are forced to endure, but why lie about what is actually going on? It just makes people look stupid.

TSA Not to Blame for This | FactCheck.org

6. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,343
    They also run background checks on all who are in any way questionable or who are traveling with passports from places unfriendly to Israel or otherwise demonstrate factors that warrent a closer look.

Personally, when boarding a domestic flight, I think a valid U.S. Passport should exempt any of us who aren't exhibiting unusual behavior from more than a cursory look over. The USA certainly has capability of running an extensive background check on any of us before issuing that passport.

I have no problem walking through the metal detector or having personal belongings xrayed or scrutinized.

My last air trip my coat, camera, organizer containing my cellphone etc., my computer case and the computer separately went through the xray machine. I was not asked to turn on the cellphone. They did not ask me to open the computer.

Normal security measures have kept us pretty darn safe. Groping and seeing people naked adds another layer to that, but I doubt its doing much to really make us safer.

Next somebody is going to use body cavities for their homemade bomb and what then? We undergo body cavity searches before we get on the plane?

7. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,426
    the anti-TSA extremists haven't posted anything accurate yet, i think. If they have, it was an accident.

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,426
    israel gets 6 flights a day. do you know how many flights go out of JFK? If you don't want to be 'groped', as you call it, feel free to use the scanner. If that offends you, feel free not to fly.

9. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    Right, so long as they change their gloves before touching anything of mine and put my brief case back the way they found it, not just dump everything back into it in a total mess.

I DO have a problem walking in my socks on their FILTHY floors.

I do have a problem with them grouping some small kid and not the guy who looks like a tweakie nutcase just to prove they are not profiling.

10. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    If you guys just too Enzyte and were like Bob you would not mind the security procedures.