Trying to Come Up with Some Answers

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Pressure at the Pump
Indianapolis Star Editorial
September 4, 2005

[I]Frustrated by fuel prices? Here's what's happening.[/I]

The signs promoting gasoline at $3.49 a gallon are surreal. Seems not long ago (hey, it wasn't) that Hoosiers were reeling over the prospect of paying more than $2 a gallon. Now, analysts are warning that the days of $4 gas may not be far off. (Would you like a complimentary gift box with that designer petrol?)

Not surprisingly, drivers are fuming. They're also flooding state and federal offices with complaints about price gouging. Members of Congress, never shy when it comes to controversy, are calling for an investigation.

The Star Editorial Board, whose members have their own hungry gas tanks to feed, tries to figure out what's going on:

Q. Let's cut to the front of the line: Why is gas so darn expensive?
Q. Be honest: Aren't the oil companies and gas stations gouging the public?
Q. But won't all of this get better with time?
Q. Aren't high gasoline prices really good for the environment and for us?

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050904/OPINION/509040305

Build more refineries. We aren't having a crude supply problem. its a refined supply problem.

Build more refineries. We aren't having a crude supply problem. its a refined supply problem.

This message needs to be run 24/7 for about a month before anyone MIGHT understand it. I'm all for alternatives and conservation too but in the real world now---lack of refineries is costing us.

Forum List

Back