Trying to can peaches

I hot pack them...5 minutes worth of boiling before putting into the jars, then cover with the hot liquid, put the lids on and pressure cooker for 20 minutes (pints) @ 11 lbs of pressure.

Except I have trouble keeping the heat steady, so the first time I had about 13 lbs of pressure on...the beans were super soft at the end..I can only imagine what they're like now.

Then I went to a canning website and found out that they would be okay even if the liquid did siphon out, so long as about half still remained...but by then it was too late...besides I don't want ugly shriveled looking beans (which would happen if I left them without liquid).

I spent all day in bed yesterday with a miserable 3-day headache..came on Tuesday, I thought I might die Wednesday, now still lingering but much better...

So will make the jelly tonight.

And my mom and one of my older sons will roll in sometime tonight for the family reunion this coming weekend. I hope to send them home with a jar of jelly at least.

I opened one of the peach jam jars...it is really good, not really a firm set up but still extremely yummy...my son had it on pb & J last night and no complaints at all from him.

But the kids were great...at the end, I just parked and let them out and they did the work. Next time, I'll have to bring a book or something. My daughter is a berry fiend, and will eat them steadily as long as she has access to them. The boy makes up for it though, as he likes to pick but doesn't like to eat them much. His question about jelly making..."are you making the kind that you make with your feet?"

Hahahaha we watched some show that showed people squishing berries with their feet...I think it was for jam, not wine..I think he was disappointed that we weren't going to be doing that. It would be right up his alley.
Tell him "stinkfoot wine" It'll do him good. :D

Forum List

Back