Try the Wrong Word Challenge:

jgbkab

Relieved
Oct 28, 2008
SC
Do you know all your words? Here is a short quiz that covers just a few of the common everyday word problems we sometimes encounter. Take this challenge and see how well you do. The answers immediately follow.

1. The (principal, principle) objective of this course is better writing.
2. The moderator in a labor dispute should be (disinterested, uninterested).
3. These (continuous, continual) interruptions may prevent the system from being available.
4. We found (fewer, less) coding errors this week than last week.
5. We feel (bad, badly) about their absence at today’s recognition event.
6. Our (bimonthly, semimonthly) reports are due the 15th and 30th of each month.
7. Two thousand books (compose, comprise) the college's new computer library.
8. Their letter (inferred, implied) that there was no charge for the extra hardware.
9. Many sightings continue to fuel the UFO (phenomena, phenomenon).
10. The competition intentionally gave them (disinformation, misinformation) about their products.

Crap, I only got a few right. And this stuff (getting it wrong) bugs the hell out of me. Thanks for posting this . . . I might (or is that may?) just buy the book.

Wrong or incorrect?

Incorrect. Now, pardon me while I flip you off. I mean it in the nicest manner possible, however. :)
flip.gif

Do you know all your words? Here is a short quiz that covers just a few of the common everyday word problems we sometimes encounter. Take this challenge and see how well you do. The answers immediately follow.

3. These (continuous, continual) interruptions may prevent the system from being available.
6. Our (bimonthly, semimonthly) reports are due the 15th and 30th of each month.
8. Their letter (inferred, implied) that there was no charge for the extra hardware.
10. The competition intentionally gave them (disinformation, misinformation) about their products.

Hmmmm...missed the bad v badly one.

Still don't get it, to be honest.

Wrong or incorrect?

Incorrect. Now, pardon me while I flip you off. I mean it in the nicest manner possible, however. :)

If you want to be pardoned for your crimes, I suggest you ask your governor.

My Governer is Jim Doyle. Nobody wants to ask him anything, except to resign. He's an incompetent dick. And, given the nature of dicks, over all... I'd think it would be pretty hard for one to be totally incompetent....

The same problem here... :doubt:

Well in your case, NAS, you can be forgiven for not getting it.

English isn't your mother tongue, is it?

In my case? I should understand why BAD is the right word in that case.

Honestly? I don't.

I'm guessing that it's because BAD is describing the state of the noun and NOT the state of the verb.

I guess I basically don't really understand the basic rules of English grammer. Wouldn't suprise me since they never seemed like something that was necessary for me to have to study.

I speak fairly well but that isn't because I actually understand the logic unpinning my language.

I learned to speak as I heard others speaking.

I'm one of those 10 O'clock scholars.

I got them all. I think because in the context of a 'quiz' I really took time. I got one point less than perfect on my ACT back when, for the same reason. Anyone here knows that I make lots of wrong word choices, spelling errors, and grammar mistakes.

Good post!

Well in your case, NAS, you can be forgiven for not getting it.

English isn't your mother tongue, is it?

In my case? I should understand why BAD is the right word in that case.

Honestly? I don't.

I'm guessing that it's because BAD is describing the state of the noun and NOT the state of the verb.

I guess I basically don't really understand the basic rules of English grammer. Wouldn't suprise me since they never seemed like something that was necessary for me to have to study.

I speak fairly well but that isn't because I actually understand the logic unpinning my language.

I learned to speak as I heard others speaking.

I'm one of those 10 O'clock scholars.

I honestly thought 'badly' was the right one. It's kinda pissing me off...

So I looked it up: Bad describes the noun: I felt bad. Badly describes the verb: They played badly. I get it, but the difference is so miniscule that the whole rule is a bit ridiculous to me... :) I'll try to remember it though.

If you want to be pardoned for your crimes, I suggest you ask your governor.

My Governer is Jim Doyle. Nobody wants to ask him anything, except to resign. He's an incompetent dick. And, given the nature of dicks, over all... I'd think it would be pretty hard for one to be totally incompetent....

He could always join the crooks we have over here....

Forum List

Back