KABUL - Local Taliban commanders threatened Thursday to kill a captured American soldier unless the U.S. military stops operations in two districts of southeastern Afghanistan, but senior military officials dismissed the report. Also Thursday, Canadian authorities announced that a Canadian soldier was killed southwest of Kandahar, bringing to 47 the number of international troops killed in Afghanistan this month. That makes July the deadliest month of the war for foreign troops with nearly half the month to go. The Taliban claimed last week to be holding the American soldier, whom the U.S. military earlier described as possibly being in enemy hands. Abdullah Jalali, a spokesman for Taliban commander Mawlavi Sangin, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview Thursday that the soldier was healthy. He said the soldier would be killed unless the U.S. stops airstrikes in Ghazni provinces Giro district and Paktika provinces Khoshamand district. Jalali did not explain why the Taliban chose those areas, noting only that Giro has been heavily bombed. Spokeswoman Capt. Elizabeth Mathias declined to comment on the demands but did say recent operations in Giro district this month did not involve bombings. Neither district is in Helmand province, where Marines are conducting the largest U.S. military operation in Afghanistan since the Taliban were toppled from power in 2001. Senior U.S. military officials dismissed reports of the threat to kill the soldier. The officials also told NBC News that no air combat operations were under way in either district. They also said it's not clear exactly which Taliban network may have the soldier in custody, although it's believed he is still somewhere inside that eastern region Taliban threatens to kill captured U.S. soldier - Afghanistan- msnbc.com will another american be beheaded? will they do it simply to test the new potus?