Truthiness

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jillian, May 2, 2006.

1. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    Stephen Colbert burns up the Washington Press Corps Dinner with a scathing keynote speech and ticks off the President

Colbert then shows a video of a mock press conference. It opens with an empty podium. Colbert's head rises from behind the podium until Colbert is standing at the podium. He addresses the assembled Washington press corps.

http://dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/4/30/1441/59811

2. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I watched that live on C-Span. The lack of laughter during Colbert's routine was amazing.

Where does it say the president was ticked?

3. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
  4. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    A subjective observation, much like witnessing Colbert's comedy.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    Well...maybe, but seems to be the general consensus in the things I'm reading/hearing. I think that article mentions that Laura wouldn't shake Colbert's hand after. If not that one, must have been in another article.

Still thought the bit was hysterical.

Anyone who wants to see it can watch it here...

http://www.c-span.org/

Click on White House Correspondents' Dinner

6. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Bush did not look amused at the pictures I've seen...but I watched a video clip of Colbert's bit and quite frankly, he wasn't the only one who didn't seem amused. The people in the audience sounded downright bored. It could be that the President, like the audience, wasn't mad...he was bored.

However, they had several commentators on CNN today that stated that Colbert fell flat not because he was inappropriate but because he simply wasn't funny...on the other hand, every one thought the President's bit with the Bush double was absolutely hysterical. Well-played to the President!

7. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    I didn't think Bush was funny. But, admittedly, I don't think he's a funny guy.

Actually, what I'm hearing is that the MSM didn't like Colbert's bit because the dinner is usually a "make nice" kind of thing and they thought he was too cutting. But the way they're playing it is that he wasn't funny and was meanspirited.

I'm with Jon Stewart on this one. It was "balls-a-licious"

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002426019

The problem is I think Colbert cut too close to the bone. Just my opinion.

8. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    If Colbert's content and apparent ineffectiveness are any indications, I'd say that he is accurately reflecting the mood of the Washington Press Corps, in light of new media realities. That mood seems confused, disjointed, out of touch, frightened, and - therefore - mean like a cornered rat. It must be awful - coming to grips with one's new-found irrelevance. Look for the Old Media to get crazier yet.

9. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    I don't think Colbert was out of touch at all. I think he was dead on. Might be that the rest of the media are out of touch because they're busy making kissy-face with the pres?

10. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Comedy? No. Satire? Yes. Comedy is meant to be funny, people are meant to laugh (Justice Scalia displayed a sense of humour - but then a sense of humour and intelligence are related and Scalia is no fool) and while comedy is sometimes abrasive (Don Rickles is the master) it's always meant to be, as an end result, funny.

Satire is not intended to make anyone laugh, unless it's the nervous laughter of the mocked and the harsh laughter of the mocking.

Colbert's piece was as brilliant a piece of satire as I've ever seen. It took courage and intelligence. Its effectiveness can be measured by the almost complete absence of reportage of his piece by the mainstream media. He served it up to them, he told them what they are and they didn't like it. But all over the world people are watching his video and laughing.