Truth.com

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
Ok, I was thinking about this in the commericals thread, but I thought this deserved its own thread. Ok, we've all seen the "Truth" commericals talking about top secret tobacco company meetings and documents where they talk about how to market cigarettes to children and keep people from finding out it causes cancer. Now, I know that tobacco companies don't exactly have a clean history, but there's just a few things that bug me about these commercials.

First, I don't believe half the stuff they say. Some of it makes a little bit of sense, but some of it sounds like something somebody just made up. I just have a hard time believing these people when they talk about things like meetings where the execs talk about how to sell cigarettes to 8 year olds. I'm also not seeing any reason to believe them. Am I just supposed to take their word for it?

Second, there's really not much point in advertising against tobacco these days. It's common knowledge that tobacco is harmful for you and causes lung cancer, emphyzima, and a host of other respiratory and oral problems. At this point, the only people who aren't annoyed by the constant preaching are people who don't smoke, and most of them are annoyed, too.

Third, is their goal to stop people from smoking, or to get the tobacco companies shut down? They don't talk about the evils of tobacco. They talk about the evils of tobacco companies. It's been years since they did a commercial that talked about the health hazards of tobacco, and even then, it was about how many babies are killed by second hand smoke...and there's no evidence of that, whatsoever. All of their commercials now talk about how tobacco companies covered up and diverted and blah blah blah tobacco executives are EVIL and you should hate them. What's their point.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Hobbit said:
Ok, I was thinking about this in the commericals thread, but I thought this deserved its own thread. Ok, we've all seen the "Truth" commericals talking about top secret tobacco company meetings and documents where they talk about how to market cigarettes to children and keep people from finding out it causes cancer. Now, I know that tobacco companies don't exactly have a clean history, but there's just a few things that bug me about these commercials.

First, I don't believe half the stuff they say. Some of it makes a little bit of sense, but some of it sounds like something somebody just made up. I just have a hard time believing these people when they talk about things like meetings where the execs talk about how to sell cigarettes to 8 year olds. I'm also not seeing any reason to believe them. Am I just supposed to take their word for it?

Second, there's really not much point in advertising against tobacco these days. It's common knowledge that tobacco is harmful for you and causes lung cancer, emphyzima, and a host of other respiratory and oral problems. At this point, the only people who aren't annoyed by the constant preaching are people who don't smoke, and most of them are annoyed, too.

Third, is their goal to stop people from smoking, or to get the tobacco companies shut down? They don't talk about the evils of tobacco. They talk about the evils of tobacco companies. It's been years since they did a commercial that talked about the health hazards of tobacco, and even then, it was about how many babies are killed by second hand smoke...and there's no evidence of that, whatsoever. All of their commercials now talk about how tobacco companies covered up and diverted and blah blah blah tobacco executives are EVIL and you should hate them. What's their point.

It's to keep public opinion in the antitobacco company direction so lawyers and states can keep getting huge settlements. It's all about the benjamins.

Hobbit said:

It's a token effort to pretend anyone cares about smokers. After they taxed the shit out of them and made huge bucks off suing tobacco companies (on the lungs of smokers who didn't get a dime) they like to look sympathetic. Really they need smokers to keep it up so the tax revenues keep pouring in.

Hobbit said:

There are a bunch of Truth.com commercials that focus on the fucked up shit that's in a cigarette. But as much as I don't like smoking, those commercials are annoying. You're not revolutionaries revolting against an oppressive government, so give it a rest.

You wanna know the part I find funny though? Part of the MSA Big Tobacco made results in the Tobacco companies funding Truth.com :)

In a sense, tobacco companies are forced to pay for negative advertising against themselves. :laugh:

As far as selling cigs to 8 year olds, I think you might underestimate the morals of someone trying to make a dollar. :shrug:

There's a public health commerical about second hand smoke, where a restaurant owner states that he didn't know second hand smoke caused cancer and, when finding this out, he banned smoking from his establishment. He was also the employer of a waitress who recently died of lung cancer she claims she contracted through inhailing second hand smoke after working for him for 40 yrs. She became a big anti-smoking activist. Anyway, the man I mentioned at first only banned smoking because no smoking in public establishments became LAW, not because smoking causes cancer. That bugs me. REALLY BUGS me.

dilloduck said:
It's a token effort to pretend anyone cares about smokers. .......
Smoking in movies is the most powerful pro-tobacco influence on kids today, accounting for 52% of adolescents who start smoking, an effect even stronger than cigarette advertising.........

Big tobacco companies know the power of movies.

Marlboros have featured in at least seventy-four of Hollywood's top-grossing movies over the past fifteen years. Studies show that brands showing up on screen most often are also the most heavily-advertised in other media..........

http://smokefreemovies.ucsf.edu/problem/moviessell.html

Joz said:
Smoking in movies is the most powerful pro-tobacco influence on kids today, accounting for 52% of adolescents who start smoking, an effect even stronger than cigarette advertising.........

Big tobacco companies know the power of movies.

Marlboros have featured in at least seventy-four of Hollywood's top-grossing movies over the past fifteen years. Studies show that brands showing up on screen most often are also the most heavily-advertised in other media..........

http://smokefreemovies.ucsf.edu/problem/moviessell.html

Governmnet budgets are dependent on people buying tobacco. I guess it just follows that when someone buys tobacco , they use it.

Truth.com blows. It's not so much that they're wasting all this money on an ad campaign telling everyone what is absolutely common knowledge now. That's just dumb, but it's not my money, so what do I care?

My problem is the way that the commercials are staged as though the creators actually think that they're breaking new ground, like they're SHOCKING you with they're statistics. Screw that and screw them.

I don't know if the "man on the street" type commercials are staged or not, but there was one where they lined up body bags around a big tobacco building in NYC. Of course, it blocked traffic because there were hundreds of thousands of them. So, I wonder, if it is real, how many ambulances could they potentially be holding up so they can bring their uber-righteous message down from the mountain to share with us peons.

Forum List

Back