Truth Check Romney

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
FACT CHECK: Romney ignores a huge recession and other causes of nation’s mounting debt - The Washington Post

THE FACTS: Romney’s tax and spending plans don’t support his vow to dampen the debt fire. He proposes to cut taxes and expand the armed forces, putting yet more stress on the budget, and his promise to slash domestic spending isn’t backed by the big specifics. Romney’s tax plan would cut the top income tax rate to 28 percent from 35 percent and other rates by 20 percent each. He says he’d broaden the tax base and eliminate many deductions in the process, but details are missing.

A study by the nonpartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget concluded earlier this year that Romney’s plans would not make a dent in deficits, and could worsen them considerably. That study was done before Romney upped his tax cuts, inviting even deeper debt.

That’s not to say he can’t at some point lay out the spending cuts necessary to achieve his aims. But he would have to slash domestic programs by more than 20 percent — far more than the 5 percent in immediate cuts he has proposed. It is nearly unthinkable that Congress would approve the evisceration of basic federal functions such as food inspection, air traffic control, the Border Patrol, FBI, grants to local governments, health research, housing and heating aid for the poor, food aid for pregnant women, national parks and much more.

It is nearly unthinkable that Congress would approve the evisceration of basic federal functions such as food inspection, air traffic control, the Border Patrol, FBI, grants to local governments, health research, housing and heating aid for the poor, food aid for pregnant women, national parks and much more.

Congress as a whole, perhaps; but not the TPM radical right in the House.

• Banned
It is nearly unthinkable that Congress would approve the evisceration of basic federal functions such as food inspection, air traffic control, the Border Patrol, FBI, grants to local governments, health research, housing and heating aid for the poor, food aid for pregnant women, national parks and much more.

Congress as a whole, perhaps; but not the TPM radical right in the House.

I know. I was reading that last bit, and hearing the inmates responding "And? So?"

You see why I support Ron Paul? He's the only candidate who said he'd eliminate multiple gov't agencies and slash spending 1 Trillion dollars the first year!

Anything else is just nibbling around the edges.

ah yes, the good ole fear mongering...from the WashingtonCompost

but hey, no bias there folks

Last edited:

Forum List

Back