trusting America to hunks of shit

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
Most vote machines lose test to hackers
John Wildermuth, Chronicle Staff Writer

Saturday, July 28, 2007

State-sanctioned teams of computer hackers were able to break through the security of virtually every model of California's voting machines and change results or take control of some of the systems' electronic functions, according to a University of California study released Friday.

The researchers "were able to bypass physical and software security in every machine they tested,'' said Secretary of State Debra Bowen, who authorized the "top to bottom review" of every voting system certified by the state.

Neither Bowen nor the investigators were willing to say exactly how vulnerable California elections are to computer hackers, especially because the team of computer experts from the UC system had top-of-the-line security information plus more time and better access to the voting machines than would-be vote thieves likely would have.

"All information available to the secretary of state was made available to the testers,'' including operating manuals, software and source codes usually kept secret by the voting machine companies, said Matt Bishop, UC Davis computer science professor who led the "red team" hacking effort, said in his summary of the results.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/28/VOTING.TMP&feed=rss.news

This is how we treat the most sacred right of American?

Most vote machines lose test to hackers

Saturday, July 28, 2007

State-sanctioned teams of computer hackers were able to break through the security of virtually every model of California's voting machines and change results or take control of some of the systems' electronic functions, according to a University of California study released Friday.

The researchers "were able to bypass physical and software security in every machine they tested,'' said Secretary of State Debra Bowen, who authorized the "top to bottom review" of every voting system certified by the state.

Neither Bowen nor the investigators were willing to say exactly how vulnerable California elections are to computer hackers, especially because the team of computer experts from the UC system had top-of-the-line security information plus more time and better access to the voting machines than would-be vote thieves likely would have.

"All information available to the secretary of state was made available to the testers,'' including operating manuals, software and source codes usually kept secret by the voting machine companies, said Matt Bishop, UC Davis computer science professor who led the "red team" hacking effort, said in his summary of the results.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/28/VOTING.TMP&feed=rss.news

This is how we treat the most sacred right of American?

Lets recall who wanted electronic voting machines, shall we? Who insisted paper voting was unsafe and subject to "cheating" And why they made these demands so loudly that changes occurred.

Last I checked California is heavily controlled by the democratic party as well. Come on, explain to us how Bush is to blame, you know you want to.

• Banned
Bishop, however, said he was surprised by the weakness of the security measures, both physical and electronic, protecting the voting systems. His team of hackers found ways to get into the systems not only through the high-tech equipment in election headquarters but also through the machines in the polling places.

If the testers had had more time, they would have found more flaws, he added.

"The vendors appeared to have designed systems that were not high assurance (of security)," said Bishop, a recognized expert on computer security. "The security seems like it was added on.''

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&feed=rss.news

Let me remind you who designed and sold these machines to America.

Right wing religious people who wanted Bush president by their own admission.

Instead of blaming one side or the other...let's just friggin' fix the problem!

Bishop, however, said he was surprised by the weakness of the security measures, both physical and electronic, protecting the voting systems. His team of hackers found ways to get into the systems not only through the high-tech equipment in election headquarters but also through the machines in the polling places.

If the testers had had more time, they would have found more flaws, he added.

"The vendors appeared to have designed systems that were not high assurance (of security)," said Bishop, a recognized expert on computer security. "The security seems like it was added on.''

Let me remind you who designed and sold these machines to America.

Right wing religious people who wanted Bush president by their own admission.

Yup, we stole 2002 and 2004, but forgot how to do it in 2006, got ya. Need any more tinfoil for your hat? Cheney must have that nintendo Control by now and aimed at you.

• Banned
Lets recall who wanted electronic voting machines, shall we? Who insisted paper voting was unsafe and subject to "cheating" And why they made these demands so loudly that changes occurred.

Last I checked California is heavily controlled by the democratic party as well. Come on, explain to us how Bush is to blame, you know you want to.

WRONG!

it was the R congress who passed voting laws giving money and encouraging districts to BUY these machines.

California has a republican governnor did you forget we are where you got Ronny from?

All this proves is that if you give me a KEY to your house I can come in. :rolleyes:

WRONG!

it was the R congress who passed voting laws giving money and encouraging districts to BUY these machines.

California has a republican governnor did you forget we are where you got Ronny from?

your ignorance would astound me if I hadn't been reading it for so long now.

• Banned
Yup, we stole 2002 and 2004, but forgot how to do it in 2006, got ya. Need any more tinfoil for your hat? Cheney must have that nintendo Control by now and aimed at you.

the code written by a life long R for the machines can onlyu throw a % of the vote if the margin is too big they still cant win.

That person who wrote the code has since become a Dem because of the scumery and testified in congress under oath to the request of the R party for a code to steal an election.

All this proves is that if you give me a KEY to your house I can come in. :rolleyes:

Yeap and the people who held the keys were right wing Republicans one of whom PROMISED the election to Bush.

Instead of blaming one side or the other...let's just friggin' fix the problem!

How abouyt we fix the problem and investigate any one who has worked to steal elections and sold us a system that isnt worth the paper they refused to design the machines with.

WE CAN DO BOTH!

Yeap and the people who held the keys were right wing Republicans one of whom PROMISED the election to Bush.

Of course you have links to this information, right? I'd like to read the code writers testimony you refer to.

Personally I'd like the paper back, if a voter is too damn stupid to make sure they punch the hole out so the vote can be read then they're too damn stupid to vote and that ballot should just hit the trash.

He testified in the house Judiciary investigations held in Ohio after the 2004 elections.

The ones the Rs tried to stop from happening by giving Conyers no place in the congressional buildings to hold it.

I know you will now not answer this thead again.

Its how you people seem to operate.

when you dont like the facts you ignore them.

The review included voting equipment from every company approved for use in the state, including Sequoia, whose systems are used in Alameda, Napa and Santa Clara counties; Hart InterCivic, used in San Mateo and Sonoma Counties; and Diebold, used in Marin County.

They checked the type of machines as in One of each type.

They did not test the machines actually used in the election.

Forum List

Back