Trust

I don't think it's spiritual in nature. Faith and doubt are also not exclusively connected to spirituality. Trusting someone is based on a foundation of familiarity, and knowledge. I've known one of my best friends for a little over three years, and I would trust that guy with my life, property, and family. That didn't happen overnight, though. It took at least a year for that level of trust and closeness to develop.

Maybe it's spiritual in the way that it's a developed bond between people. It really depends on how we're defining spirituality.

Faith and doubt are spiritual issues. I've had both in my life. Early on, I had many doubts. Faith has meant confidence to me. There certain spiritual things I have confidence in.

Trust is another story. Some people are trustworthy from the very beginning, and they never waver. Trust otherwise, like you say, takes time.
There's different meanings to these words, though. For example, I have many doubts about my future, because everything is uncertain at this point, but with the help of my friends, who I have grown to trust, I have faith that I'll be alright.

In the religious sense, I have no faith, because I don't trust the words of men who claim to speak for their gods. I was so filled with doubt upon really seeing how miserable the world can truly be, that I could no longer believe in a benevolent, omnipresent force in this world. That doubt led to a very liberating apostasy. The occult phase was fun, though.

Is trust a spiritual quality? I think it is. It seems related to faith and to doubt.

What allows trust to grow? Can trust be restored when it's shaken?

Put yourself in the position of a Parent and ask me that again. :)

Trust is an essential to faith. And Faith is an essential in spirituality. At least for Christians.

Forum List

Back