Trust me, I'm from the government.

Pappadave

Aug 12, 2010
We continuously hear form our governments "trust us, we are acting in your best interests". When, if ever, will our governments trust its citizens? When will its rules, regulations, and policies be structured to penalize the criminal, not treat all people as criminals? Why do virtually all regulations and rules penalize the good guys to catch the bad apples? I trust in my fellow man until he betrays that trust; can't the governments do the same? Pappadave.

We continuously hear form our governments "trust us, we are acting in your best interests". When, if ever, will our governments trust its citizens? When will its rules, regulations, and policies be structured to penalize the criminal, not treat all people as criminals? Why do virtually all regulations and rules penalize the good guys to catch the bad apples? I trust in my fellow man until he betrays that trust; can't the governments do the same? Pappadave.

idiot

We've seen what happens when those regulations are gone.

Oil spill

the ruined economy

mine disaster

Haliburton

Blackwater

There is a big difference from what those on the right "imagine" and "reality. A gap as big as the Grand Canyon.

idiot

Oil spill

the ruined economy

mine disaster

Haliburton

Blackwater

There is a big difference from what those on the right "imagine" and "reality. A gap as big as the Grand Canyon.

what a moron....there were in fact regulations in place...it is false to claim they were "gone"....

idiot

Oil spill

the ruined economy

mine disaster

Haliburton

Blackwater

The only gap as wide as the Grand Canyon is the one between your ears, since you're head is just as big but there's nothing in between.

Regulations were "gone" for the oil spill?
Regulations were "gone" in the banking industry for the last twenty years? :cuckoo:

idiot

Oil spill

the ruined economy

mine disaster

Haliburton

Blackwater.

At least you're consistantly moronic: All your examples happened when their respective industries were regulated. (I'm not even going to guess Why The Fuck you're babbling about Halliburton and Blackwater).

idiot

Oil spill

the ruined economy

mine disaster

Haliburton

Blackwater

Is there a word more ironic-y than "irony" to describe you, of all people, calling someone else an idiot??!?!?!?!?
bangfist.gif

That's what all the bad apples say.

I do not trust you and I want a government that protects me from people like you.

The best warranty is still "Caveat Emptor". The best regulation is facing your liabilities in tort law. How many times have we heard " its not our fault, we are in full compliance with all the regulations. "The more law, the less Justice" Cicero. We need to have goal oriented regulations, tell them what we want, and let them figure out how. Hammerabi's building code 3000 B.C. "if the house falls down, kill the builder". They got the message, some of those houses are still standing and in use. Complexity and minutia only generates more billable hours for the lawyers. Pappadave

The best warranty is still "Caveat Emptor". The best regulation is facing your liabilities in tort law. How many times have we heard " its not our fault, we are in full compliance with all the regulations. "The more law, the less Justice" Cicero. We need to have goal oriented regulations, tell them what we want, and let them figure out how. Hammerabi's building code 3000 B.C. "if the house falls down, kill the builder". They got the message, some of those houses are still standing and in use. Complexity and minutia only generates more billable hours for the lawyers. Pappadave

And if a chemical company poisons 30,000 people what do you do?

idiot

Oil spill

the ruined economy

mine disaster

Haliburton

Blackwater

Excuse me?

Oil spills are accidents, when did regulations start preventing accidents?

The economy was ruined because regulations required lenders to give special deals to high risk customers simply because of the color of their skin.

The last time you and I discussed a mine accident I pointed out how the regulations actually contributed to the deaths of the only people in that mine because they prevented the company from installing a newer ventilation system that had the air going the wrong way.

Haliburtun and Blackwater are both highly regulated companies, what exactly is your problem with them? And how does it relate to a lack of regulation?

Last edited:

idiot

Oil spill

the ruined economy

mine disaster

Haliburton

Blackwater

what a moron....there were in fact regulations in place...it is false to claim they were "gone"....

[T]here is one extremely consequential area where Obama has done just about everything a liberal could ask for -- but done it so quietly that almost no one, including most liberals, has noticed. Obama's three Republican predecessors were all committed to weakening or even destroying the country's regulatory apparatus: the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and the other agencies that are supposed to protect workers and consumers by regulating business practices.

The Washington Monthly

You guys support a political party and have no idea what it does.

Go look up "Volentary Compliance" "the Deregulation of OSHA" and the "Deregulation of the EPA".

Would you make speed limits "Volentary Compliance"?

Would you put your family into a car built on all safety regulations being "Volentary Compliance"?

Early in Bush's first term, when Bush and the Republicans controlled the entire government, they gutted regulations, especially safety and replaced them with "voluntary compliance".

Tell me you know this. It wasn't that long ago.

That's what all the bad apples say.

I do not trust you and I want a government that protects me from people like you.
How does being a politician, bureaucrat or regulator make one any more immune from being one of those untrustworthy "bad apples", huh?

This, I'd like to hear.

[T]here is one extremely consequential area where Obama has done just about everything a liberal could ask for -- but done it so quietly that almost no one, including most liberals, has noticed. Obama's three Republican predecessors were all committed to weakening or even destroying the country's regulatory apparatus: the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and the other agencies that are supposed to protect workers and consumers by regulating business practices.

The Washington Monthly

You guys support a political party and have no idea what it does.

Go look up "Volentary Compliance" "the Deregulation of OSHA" and the "Deregulation of the EPA".

Would you make speed limits "Volentary Compliance"?

Would you put your family into a car built on all safety regulations being "Volentary Compliance"?

Early in Bush's first term, when Bush and the Republicans controlled the entire government, they gutted regulations, especially safety and replaced them with "voluntary compliance".

Tell me you know this. It wasn't that long ago.

It figures that you would point to the massive expansion of executive power, and the president ignoring the rule of law in an attempt to have agencies write regulations that usurp the legislative power of Congress, and call that a good thing.

god it must be horrible to see nothing but Republicans and Righties in this guys reality......the left side just never seems to be the blame for nothing.....not even a little bit...never.....Dean you should go talk to someone.....get some help.....just make sure he aint a REPUBLICAN shrink....:lol:

rDean. deliberately, willfully or by accident or even sheer stupidity? If a Judas goat unknowingly and innocently leads the lambs to slaughter, is it guilty of a crime? Most laws require proof of criminal intent. Also, I did not advocate no regulation, in fact, in many cases, I would make them stronger. How about we tell the energy companies " If you willingly rape the environment, we will rape your company in return and castrate your corporate officers". Would that establish simply and clearly what we want and expect? Pappadave.

Forum List

Back