Trump’s Unwarranted Attacks on Freedom of the Press Denounced

I love that we are having this conversation....finally.

Thank you President Trump.

1. Anyone who believes that our major news sources are not biased is simply ignorant.
2. Biased sources don't tell the whole story. They selectively tell or emphasize what they feel we need to know.
3. People are waking up to the fact that about 90% of what you read on the web is biased or out-and-out false.

I don't like Trump for many reasons.

I liked Bernie for many reasons (because he was pushing issues that required consideration in the public...that were not getting there).

Trump, intentionally or not....is doing just that.

If our press would wake up and become "better" due to this, great.

If not, then it is not great loss.

Nobody trusts them and it was because of Donald Trump.
It is not the government's job to control or interfere with the free speech of the press. The President represents the government. He has at his disposal the ability to challenge specific instances of unfair treatment by specific news sources with opposing facts and even opinion. That is not what he is doing. He is attempting to demonize the press with a broad brush without backing up his claims and attacks with factual data. It is exactly what authoritarian regimes do.

Unless you're a Progressive, seeing the ongoing, demonstrable bias of the media is easy.

The media knowingly ran fake stories accusing one candidate of crimes where there were none, while not reporting the truth about the real crimes of the other one in order to manipulate a presidential election. I would say that qualifies them as enemies.

1. Anyone who believes that our major news sources are not biased is simply ignorant.
2. Biased sources don't tell the whole story. They selectively tell or emphasize what they feel we need to know.
3. People are waking up to the fact that about 90% of what you read on the web is biased or out-and-out false.

I liked Bernie for many reasons (because he was pushing issues that required consideration in the public...that were not getting there).

It is not the government's job to control or interfere with the free speech of the press. The President represents the government. He has at his disposal the ability to challenge specific instances of unfair treatment by specific news sources with opposing facts and even opinion. That is not what he is doing. He is attempting to demonize the press with a broad brush without backing up his claims and attacks with factual data. It is exactly what authoritarian regimes do.

He hasn't interfered with anything.

He should be demonizing the press. Bush should have done it and so should have Obama.

It's time to wake people up to a good conversation about the press. We need it.

no way Obama would do that. THe press loved him and did nothing but spew propaganda for him.

Hell,barry had them under surveillance and they still kissed his half black ass!

Petulant former President Barack Hussein Obama had under surveillance anyone who opposed him.

It is not the government's job to control or interfere with the free speech of the press

Which parts of the press has he shut down?

Couple of snowflakes couldn't ask questions?

Waaahhhhh

not interfering with free press, bud

Lot's of reporters don't get to ask questions......

BTW: How long did HIllary go without a Presser ?

Very true. President Donald Trump's press conference was one hour and seventeen minutes. President Trump answered seventeen questions from seventeen different journalists.

Petulant former President Barack Hussein Obama would take seventeen minutes to answer one question while providing a scholarly lecture to all us underlings.

NoseintheAir.jpg

Unless you're a Progressive, seeing the ongoing, demonstrable bias of the media is easy.
It's the nature of news sources to be biased. They are privately owned and obligated to make money. In addition, they can be expected to carry the ownerships opinions and spin if that is what the ownership's wishes are. In the old days cities usually had at least two daily newspapers that represented opposite views and opinions about political topics. Today is more complicated, but the same principles apply.

‘Political analysts said there's a difference between criticizing the press and calling it "the enemy" -- a phrase authoritarian governments of the past have indeed used to de-legitimize political opponents and institutions.

"This is something that you hear tin-pot dictators say when they want to control all of the information," said Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, speaking on ABC's This Week.

Matt Mackowiak, a Texas-based Republican political consultant, said Trump is facing a "vigorously hostile press corps" that has low approval ratings of its own, and seems to be "competing to see who can be the first to cause his impeachment."

While Trump "is attacking a weak opponent that his base despises," Mackowiak added that the president needs to reach out to the broader public in order to get legislation passed. "The campaign is over," Mackowiak said. "It's time for governing and governing requires persuasion."

[…]

Nicole Renee Hemmer, assistant professor at the University of Virginia's Miller Center, said "the rhetoric is not yet cause for panic." But she said journalists need to push back and explain that "their work is a vital component of democratic governance and the system of checks and balances, especially given Donald Trump's autocratic tendencies."

Said Hemmer: "Trump has a tendency to blur the distinctions between himself, the government, and the people, more so than any modern president. And his wholesale attacks on the press soften the ground for anti-press action."’

McCain defends free press, raises specter of dictatorship from Trump's attacks

The problem, of course, is that Trump is ignorant of what constitutes sound, responsible governance – indeed, he’s completely incapable of governing at all.
Wait, NOW the press is supposed to be a watchdog on government? What changed?

Forum List

Back