Trump's tariffs are a solution in search of a problem

I'll give you my uneducated guess, and I say that up front, because I'm not stock market savvy. Here's what my take on it is, from what I've been hearing in the news over the last few years.

China has been known for placing tariffs on our exports for a very long time, at the same time, they are stealing our patents, our intellectual property and our technology.

How many billions...or trillions has America lost over the last 15 or more years due to loss of revenue because rather than China buying our technology, and our goods, they steal the designs and just produce it for themselves? All the while placing tariffs on our exports.

At some point, this has to stop, and if we keep humming along and letting it happen, it never will. Maybe it's time someone rocked the boat, and made a stand to protect our interests.

Perhaps we may be in for rough times ahead, but if we stick to it, isnt it possible that we will be better off once we get to the other side? Maybe China is just saber rattling right now, trying to get us to back off, but if they see we are committed, maybe they will concede and we can actually have fair trade in the end.
China is basically fucked if they can't import to us at such a cheap rate. Will you need to pay more for a shirt? Yes. But they can't survive without selling that shirt. Trump is kicking them into a corner and it's great to see. You don't win fights without getting hit here and there. You win when they can't take anymore punches. Suck it up.
Your logic is curious.
So...we pay more for a Chinese made shirt because we put a tax on that shirt. That hurts China how?

So why did China respond with tariffs of their own? Mind boggling isn't it?

Democrats have always underestimated the value of competition in the market. (see healthcare) This is about creating new pipelines, which means production moves out of China. That hurts China...duh.

How much and how long do American consumers need to pay for that move?
Why is it necessary to do so at all?

Forum List

Back