Trump's tariffs are a solution in search of a problem

still waiting on an answer to this from any of the Trumpians.
Big change like this takes time and isn't for the weak hand wringers. You might want to sit this one out if it makes you a nervous Nellie.

What damage does a trade imbalance cause?
Jobs.

Unemployment is at 3.6% with more than 1 million more open positions than people looking for a job.

Seems we are doing ok with jobs.
Ok. Thank you, Mr. President.

I am not the President, you do not need to thank me.

Big change like this takes time and isn't for the weak hand wringers. You might want to sit this one out if it makes you a nervous Nellie.

Jobs.

Unemployment is at 3.6% with more than 1 million more open positions than people looking for a job.

You're confused today. Time for your nap.

We have, by far, the largest economy in the world. In GDP terms, our economy is $7 trillion more than our nearest competitor, China. The World's Top 20 Economies

Prior to the beginning of last week our economy was on fire, and the stock market was setting records nearly every week. Essentially, we have full employment. Wages are up. GDP is up. Our economy has been on a tear for nine years.

So, what seems to be the problem?

To be more specific, what exactly is the problem Trump is trying to solve with his harsh tariffs? Why in the world start a trade war with the second largest economy in the world and the one economy American consumers rely upon most? Why drive up prices? Why place inflationary pressures on our economy and, perhaps, cause a recession?

Sure, there are inequities in the trading relationship between the U.S. and China, but there are always inequities in every trading relationship with every country, even Canada. And, yes, China is stealing a portion of our I.T.

But, Trump's tariffs are like taking a blowtorch to light a birthday candle.

What has been the result? The stock market is the canary in the coal mine. How has it done since Trump's tweet signaling trouble ahead? Large cap stocks, or those in the S&P 500, have now lost $1.1 trillion since Trump surprised markets with his May 5 weekend tweets.

Today the Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 617.38 points, or 2.4%, to 25,324.99 and posted its worst session since Jan. 3. The S&P 500 also had its worst day since early January, falling 2.4% to 2,811.87. The Nasdaq Composite dropped 3.4% — its biggest one-day loss of the year — to 7,647.02.

Instead of cooperating and fulfilling Trump's fantasies concerning the outcome, China retaliated by raising tariffs on $60 billion in goods. There are no talks scheduled.

Beginning with Monday of last week millions of Americans have lost millions of dollars in retirement savings, and it is likely to get worst.

“I think this is a prelude of things to come,” said Phil Blancato, CEO of Ladenburg Thalmann Asset Management. “We should expect more volatility for the foreseeable future.”

All of this is the responsibility of Donald J. Trump. Thank you, Mr. President. No doubt Vladimir Putin is proud of your performance.
having an opinion is one thing. but when you have to do the putin shit and lob in snark - it invalidates every point the writer ever tried to make and pushes their entire viewpoint to bullshit.

Jobs.

You're confused today. Time for your nap.

Not at all. You responded directly to my post with a thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I'll give you my uneducated guess, and I say that up front, because I'm not stock market savvy. Here's what my take on it is, from what I've been hearing in the news over the last few years.

China has been known for placing tariffs on our exports for a very long time, at the same time, they are stealing our patents, our intellectual property and our technology.

How many billions...or trillions has America lost over the last 15 or more years due to loss of revenue because rather than China buying our technology, and our goods, they steal the designs and just produce it for themselves? All the while placing tariffs on our exports.

At some point, this has to stop, and if we keep humming along and letting it happen, it never will. Maybe it's time someone rocked the boat, and made a stand to protect our interests.

Perhaps we may be in for rough times ahead, but if we stick to it, isnt it possible that we will be better off once we get to the other side? Maybe China is just saber rattling right now, trying to get us to back off, but if they see we are committed, maybe they will concede and we can actually have fair trade in the end.

China is basically fucked if they can't import to us at such a cheap rate. Will you need to pay more for a shirt? Yes. But they can't survive without selling that shirt. Trump is kicking them into a corner and it's great to see. You don't win fights without getting hit here and there. You win when they can't take anymore punches. Suck it up.

China does not "import to us."

China EXPORTS products to the US.

So, you're like in second grade, right?

We should be taking steps to replace China as our most critical trading partner with Central & South America,

This is ABSURD. China is the biggest and fastest growing market for our goods. And you want to ditch that market for some of the poorest markets in the world???

Unbelievably dumb idea

When this latest tariff tiff came about a few weeks ago my instant thought was that the winner in all this will be Mexico. Based on some articles I've read the past few days my instant notion wasn't that far off, however I should have also included Vietnam.

"The Vietnamese exports are taking up the baton and they have done that quite quickly, or there has been some rerouting through Vietnam of Chinese goods. For a small country like that it's pretty impressive."

US imports from Mexico have also offset those from China over the past year. After President Donald Trump's administration imposed tariffs on $16 billion worth of Chinese products last year, US imports from China decreased by $850 million, and those from Mexico increased by a similar amount, the International Monetary Fund noted in a Thursday blog post.

US and Chinese consumers are 'unequivocally the losers' of trade war tariffs — here are the unexpected winners

Leave it to a simpleton to COMPLETELY ignore a MASSIVE trade imbalance

How much of our economy do you want to contract to even out trade balance? What is it going to do for us in the middle of full employment economy?

We consume more than we have the capacity to produce, so what we are headed for is higher prices contracting demand at a time when we have full employment with millions of unfilled job openings.

How much of our economy do you want to contract to even out trade balance? What is it going to do for us in the middle of full employment economy?

We consume more than we have the capacity to produce, so what we are headed for is higher prices contracting demand at a time when we have full employment with millions of unfilled job openings.
The pain is temporary. If Trump is successful the end result will more than make up for it.
Did you not save for retirement because the shortfall it would cause you now? That is the logic you are using

We should be taking steps to replace China as our most critical trading partner with Central & South America,
This is ABSURD. China is the biggest and fastest growing market for our goods. And you want to ditch that market for some of the poorest markets in the world???
Unbelievably dumb idea
There is a distinction between what I said and "ditching" China.

Life isn't binary, either/or, black or white, all or nothing.

Holy crap.

Unbelievably dumb idea

Holy crap.
Selling gizmos to poor people in south American shitholes does nothing to fix a terrible trade imbalance with China.

Your post was both pointless and irrelevant to the topic.

Idiot

Unbelievably dumb idea

Holy crap.
Selling gizmos to poor people in south American shitholes does nothing to fix a terrible trade imbalance with China.

Idiot
Nope. If you were to read the link I provided, I'm talking about improving economic conditions in that area so that solid demand increases significantly.

I realize it doesn't fit on a baseball cap, so maybe it's best you didn't try to read it.

Unbelievably dumb idea

Holy crap.

Idiot
Nope. If you were to read the link I provided, I'm talking about improving economic conditions in that area so that solid demand increases significantly.

I realize it doesn't fit on a baseball cap, so maybe it's best you didn't try to read it.
Listen you bumbling fool.

First off it is not our place to "fix" the economic condition of 3rd world shitholes.
Secondly even if we wanted to and had the power to do it, it would take DECADES and billions upon billions.
Thirdly and most importantly THAT DOES NOTHING to solve our problem with China.

Seems to me it is YOU who is bewildered at the shiny object in the room and unable to comprehend the REAL PROBLEM WE FACE RIGHT NOW.

You asshats flip out at the thought of a few dollars going to farmers but have no problem "fixing" some other countries problems with untold billions

Last edited:
We have, by far, the largest economy in the world. In GDP terms, our economy is $7 trillion more than our nearest competitor, China. The World's Top 20 Economies

Prior to the beginning of last week our economy was on fire, and the stock market was setting records nearly every week. Essentially, we have full employment. Wages are up. GDP is up. Our economy has been on a tear for nine years.

To be more specific, what exactly is the problem Trump is trying to solve with his harsh tariffs? Why in the world start a trade war with the second largest economy in the world and the one economy American consumers rely upon most? Why drive up prices? Why place inflationary pressures on our economy and, perhaps, cause a recession?

Sure, there are inequities in the trading relationship between the U.S. and China, but there are always inequities in every trading relationship with every country, even Canada. And, yes, China is stealing a portion of our I.T.

What has been the result? The stock market is the canary in the coal mine. How has it done since Trump's tweet signaling trouble ahead? Large cap stocks, or those in the S&P 500, have now lost $1.1 trillion since Trump surprised markets with his May 5 weekend tweets.
Today the Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 617.38 points, or 2.4%, to 25,324.99 and posted its worst session since Jan. 3. The S&P 500 also had its worst day since early January, falling 2.4% to 2,811.87. The Nasdaq Composite dropped 3.4% — its biggest one-day loss of the year — to 7,647.02.

Instead of cooperating and fulfilling Trump's fantasies concerning the outcome, China retaliated by raising tariffs on $60 billion in goods. There are no talks scheduled.

Beginning with Monday of last week millions of Americans have lost millions of dollars in retirement savings, and it is likely to get worst.

“I think this is a prelude of things to come,” said Phil Blancato, CEO of Ladenburg Thalmann Asset Management. “We should expect more volatility for the foreseeable future.”

All of this is the responsibility of Donald J. Trump. Thank you, Mr. President. No doubt Vladimir Putin is proud of your performance.
Gee, just like the Democrat investigations, much ado about nothing!

I'll give you my uneducated guess, and I say that up front, because I'm not stock market savvy. Here's what my take on it is, from what I've been hearing in the news over the last few years.

China has been known for placing tariffs on our exports for a very long time, at the same time, they are stealing our patents, our intellectual property and our technology.

How many billions...or trillions has America lost over the last 15 or more years due to loss of revenue because rather than China buying our technology, and our goods, they steal the designs and just produce it for themselves? All the while placing tariffs on our exports.

At some point, this has to stop, and if we keep humming along and letting it happen, it never will. Maybe it's time someone rocked the boat, and made a stand to protect our interests.

Perhaps we may be in for rough times ahead, but if we stick to it, isnt it possible that we will be better off once we get to the other side? Maybe China is just saber rattling right now, trying to get us to back off, but if they see we are committed, maybe they will concede and we can actually have fair trade in the end.
China is basically fucked if they can't import to us at such a cheap rate. Will you need to pay more for a shirt? Yes. But they can't survive without selling that shirt. Trump is kicking them into a corner and it's great to see. You don't win fights without getting hit here and there. You win when they can't take anymore punches. Suck it up.
Your logic is curious.
So...we pay more for a Chinese made shirt because we put a tax on that shirt. That hurts China how?

So why did China respond with tariffs of their own? Mind boggling isn't it?

Democrats have always underestimated the value of competition in the market. (see healthcare) This is about creating new pipelines, which means production moves out of China. That hurts China...duh.

True, a 19th Century "solution."

still waiting on an answer to this from any of the Trumpians.
How many times do you have to be told troll?

I have not been told yet moron. So far all I have been told was "jobs"...which is funny since we are at 3.6% UE with more than a million open jobs than people looking for work.

Unbelievably dumb idea

Trump is doing his best to push China to South America for many of the Ag products we used to provide China

So many words with no worthwhile content. You lost me in the title. If you don't think there was a big problem with trade inbalance for this country then you're simply clueless.

I'd hazard a guess that you've been no where and done nothing with your life.

Forum List

Back