Trump's tariffs are a solution in search of a problem

Walmart, America's largest retailer, said Thursday it will raise prices on some products as a result of the Trump administration's tariffs on Chinese goods."We're going to continue to do everything we can to keep prices low. That's who we are. However, increased tariffs will lead to increased prices, we believe, for our customers." Walmart chief financial officer Brett Biggs told reporters.

Walmart has less exposure to China than many other retailers because more than half of its sales come from groceries.

But Walmart still imports 26% of its merchandise from China. Target imports 34% of its products from China. Other companies, including sporting goods, auto parts and furniture sellers, have even greater exposure to China.

Retailers depend heavily on China in their supply chain. China accounted for about 41% of all apparel, 72% of all footwear, and 84% of all travel goods imported into the United States in 2017.

Trump has started a formal process to put new tariffs in place on the remaining exports coming from China that aren't already taxed.

Can you say inflation? How about less demand and more unemployment? Can you say recession?

On top of losses last week and more this week the Dow lost a 100 today.

Can you say loss of retirement savings for millions of Americans, including Trump's fans? But they still love Trump, probably because most of them have no idea what is going on. They are not fans of reality.

What about the American consumer? When do they get some relief? No one knows, not even Trump. Gee, thanks, Mr. President.

The Times reports, "Trump on Thursday unveiled a $16 billion bailout for farmers hurt by his trade war with Beijing, signaling a protracted fight ahead that is already prompting some American companies to shift business away from China.

"Trump, flanked by farmers and ranchers in cowboy hats during remarks at the White House, said China had “taken advantage” of the United States for far too long and vowed to protect an industry that has been “used as a vehicle” by Beijing to hurt America’s economy."

No, Mr. President, this all began when you placed a 25% tariff on Chinese goods, and the Chinese retaliated. I guess Trump forgot that part.

Trump has his own reality. It is different from the rest of us. “Farmers have been attacked by China,” Trump said, adding that if the United States is in a trade war, “we’re winning it big.”

Really, Mr President? You have the balls to say that to a room full of farmers. They don't feel like they are winning. That is why you are giving them 16 billion. Did you forget that part, too?

The irony is, hardworking farmers don't want welfare. They want a level playing field where they can grow and sell their products and eke out a living. Trump is denying them that privilege, not China.
/——-/ “this all began when you placed a 25% tariff on Chinese goods, and the Chinese retaliated”
Another glaring example of a misinformed libtard moonbat. Hey dummy, China had high tariffs on US goods for decades before Trump was president. It was Trump who retaliated. Geeeeze.

We have, by far, the largest economy in the world. In GDP terms, our economy is $7 trillion more than our nearest competitor, China. The World's Top 20 Economies

Prior to the beginning of last week our economy was on fire, and the stock market was setting records nearly every week. Essentially, we have full employment. Wages are up. GDP is up. Our economy has been on a tear for nine years.

So, what seems to be the problem?

To be more specific, what exactly is the problem Trump is trying to solve with his harsh tariffs? Why in the world start a trade war with the second largest economy in the world and the one economy American consumers rely upon most? Why drive up prices? Why place inflationary pressures on our economy and, perhaps, cause a recession?

Sure, there are inequities in the trading relationship between the U.S. and China, but there are always inequities in every trading relationship with every country, even Canada. And, yes, China is stealing a portion of our I.T.

But, Trump's tariffs are like taking a blowtorch to light a birthday candle.

What has been the result? The stock market is the canary in the coal mine. How has it done since Trump's tweet signaling trouble ahead? Large cap stocks, or those in the S&P 500, have now lost $1.1 trillion since Trump surprised markets with his May 5 weekend tweets.

Today the Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 617.38 points, or 2.4%, to 25,324.99 and posted its worst session since Jan. 3. The S&P 500 also had its worst day since early January, falling 2.4% to 2,811.87. The Nasdaq Composite dropped 3.4% — its biggest one-day loss of the year — to 7,647.02.

Instead of cooperating and fulfilling Trump's fantasies concerning the outcome, China retaliated by raising tariffs on $60 billion in goods. There are no talks scheduled.

Beginning with Monday of last week millions of Americans have lost millions of dollars in retirement savings, and it is likely to get worst.

“I think this is a prelude of things to come,” said Phil Blancato, CEO of Ladenburg Thalmann Asset Management. “We should expect more volatility for the foreseeable future.”

All of this is the responsibility of Donald J. Trump. Thank you, Mr. President. No doubt Vladimir Putin is proud of your performance.
Hey nice cut and past from the fake mews media.

I'm sure China is >>>>

b17a53d42536bb33ed70587c048d7202.jpg

~S~

Eventually the US would have no manufacturing sector and lose all those jobs.

This is a myth. US manufacturing output has been consistently growing for decades with the exception of recession years. Our manufacturing output is almost double that it was in 1990.

What harm is there having free and fair trade?

Free trade is good, fair trade is a fairy tale.

One of my friends sells Harleys. He had a sale to a German, until it got hit with a 100% tariff. We have 0% tariffs on German motorcycles. Can you see how stupid US tariff policy was before Trump?

The EU imposed the tariffs on HD after Trump imposed tariffs on their steel and aluminum.
Can you see how stupid trade wars are?
1. US manufacturing jobs have NOT been growing for "decades", especially after China joined the WTO in 2001:
us-employment-in-manufacturing.jpg

2. I don't think that the MC sale was that recent, it was well before June 2018 when the EU imposed tariffs.
EU tariffs on US goods come into force
Trade wars may be necessary from time to time to level the playing field for US manufacturing and US jobs. Just imagine what happens when the US imposes tariffs on imported cars. Trump calls that "the mother lode".

1. I said output, not jobs. The jobs went down because of automation and process improvements. That is why even as number of jobs was going down production was still going up.

Compare the timeline of the widespread introduction of Six Sigma to when the jobs started dropping...very close correlation.

2. The EU has never had 100% tariffs on HD. Your friend lied to you.

Tariffs on imported cars would likely cost Trump any chance of reelection.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
Whether you like it or not this is our last chance to remain a sovereign and free nation. It is much easier to live off of other people then to return to real foundation. But there comes a price to living off others. The others become strong. Jobs went down to tens of millions by hours worked and pay raises not equaling the inflation rate. Therefore you can fudge production big time. China is a growing techno nation with grand designs on a mammoth military. Those same work slaves you say not a word about as you love the illegals coming here are not just making commercial products but government products also in China. Ross Perot was right. That giant sucking sound...Now go hug an illegal. And let those Asian sweat shop saves keep working for your living so you can protest for the sake of protesting.

Eventually the US would have no manufacturing sector and lose all those jobs.

This is a myth. US manufacturing output has been consistently growing for decades with the exception of recession years. Our manufacturing output is almost double that it was in 1990.

What harm is there having free and fair trade?

Free trade is good, fair trade is a fairy tale.

One of my friends sells Harleys. He had a sale to a German, until it got hit with a 100% tariff. We have 0% tariffs on German motorcycles. Can you see how stupid US tariff policy was before Trump?

The EU imposed the tariffs on HD after Trump imposed tariffs on their steel and aluminum.
Can you see how stupid trade wars are?
1. US manufacturing jobs have NOT been growing for "decades", especially after China joined the WTO in 2001:
us-employment-in-manufacturing.jpg

2. I don't think that the MC sale was that recent, it was well before June 2018 when the EU imposed tariffs.
EU tariffs on US goods come into force
Trade wars may be necessary from time to time to level the playing field for US manufacturing and US jobs. Just imagine what happens when the US imposes tariffs on imported cars. Trump calls that "the mother lode".

1. I said output, not jobs. The jobs went down because of automation and process improvements. That is why even as number of jobs was going down production was still going up.

Compare the timeline of the widespread introduction of Six Sigma to when the jobs started dropping...very close correlation.

2. The EU has never had 100% tariffs on HD. Your friend lied to you.

Tariffs on imported cars would likely cost Trump any chance of reelection.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
Whether you like it or not this is our last chance to remain a sovereign and free nation. It is much easier to live off of other people then to return to real foundation. But there comes a price to living off others. The others become strong. Jobs went down to tens of millions by hours worked and pay raises not equaling the inflation rate. Therefore you can fudge production big time. China is a growing techno nation with grand designs on a mammoth military. Those same work slaves you say not a word about as you love the illegals coming here are not just making commercial products but government products also in China. Ross Perot was right. That giant sucking sound...Now go hug an illegal. And let those Asian sweat shop saves keep working for your living so you can protest for the sake of protesting.
/——/,All libtards care about is free recreational marijuana. The country can go to hell as far as they are concerned.

We do not live off of other people anymore than you and I live off farmers because we buy our food at a grocery store or I live off Ford because I bought one of their cars.

Yes, jobs went down, they went down because we became much more efficient at what we do. Automation and efficiency cost more jobs than China did.

It is sort of cute how you pretend I support illegal immigration when I am the one that has been advocating putting the military on the border to stop them and to punish American companies hiring them so badly they go bankrupt...but hey you are just one more mindless sheep that thinks everyone that does not agree with you on one issue must disagree with you on them all.....how boring.

I'll give you my uneducated guess, and I say that up front, because I'm not stock market savvy. Here's what my take on it is, from what I've been hearing in the news over the last few years.

China has been known for placing tariffs on our exports for a very long time, at the same time, they are stealing our patents, our intellectual property and our technology.

How many billions...or trillions has America lost over the last 15 or more years due to loss of revenue because rather than China buying our technology, and our goods, they steal the designs and just produce it for themselves? All the while placing tariffs on our exports.

At some point, this has to stop, and if we keep humming along and letting it happen, it never will. Maybe it's time someone rocked the boat, and made a stand to protect our interests.

Perhaps we may be in for rough times ahead, but if we stick to it, isnt it possible that we will be better off once we get to the other side? Maybe China is just saber rattling right now, trying to get us to back off, but if they see we are committed, maybe they will concede and we can actually have fair trade in the end.
China is basically fucked if they can't import to us at such a cheap rate. Will you need to pay more for a shirt? Yes. But they can't survive without selling that shirt. Trump is kicking them into a corner and it's great to see. You don't win fights without getting hit here and there. You win when they can't take anymore punches. Suck it up.
Your logic is curious.
So...we pay more for a Chinese made shirt because we put a tax on that shirt. That hurts China how?

Leave it to a simpleton to COMPLETELY ignore a MASSIVE trade imbalance

What damage does a trade imbalance cause?

still waiting on an answer to this from any of the Trumpians.
Big change like this takes time and isn't for the weak hand wringers. You might want to sit this one out if it makes you a nervous Nellie.

Walmart, America's largest retailer, said Thursday it will raise prices on some products as a result of the Trump administration's tariffs on Chinese goods."We're going to continue to do everything we can to keep prices low. That's who we are. However, increased tariffs will lead to increased prices, we believe, for our customers." Walmart chief financial officer Brett Biggs told reporters.

Walmart has less exposure to China than many other retailers because more than half of its sales come from groceries.

But Walmart still imports 26% of its merchandise from China. Target imports 34% of its products from China. Other companies, including sporting goods, auto parts and furniture sellers, have even greater exposure to China.

Retailers depend heavily on China in their supply chain. China accounted for about 41% of all apparel, 72% of all footwear, and 84% of all travel goods imported into the United States in 2017.

Trump has started a formal process to put new tariffs in place on the remaining exports coming from China that aren't already taxed.

Can you say inflation? How about less demand and more unemployment? Can you say recession?

On top of losses last week and more this week the Dow lost a 100 today.

Can you say loss of retirement savings for millions of Americans, including Trump's fans? But they still love Trump, probably because most of them have no idea what is going on. They are not fans of reality.

What about the American consumer? When do they get some relief? No one knows, not even Trump. Gee, thanks, Mr. President.

The Times reports, "Trump on Thursday unveiled a $16 billion bailout for farmers hurt by his trade war with Beijing, signaling a protracted fight ahead that is already prompting some American companies to shift business away from China.

"Trump, flanked by farmers and ranchers in cowboy hats during remarks at the White House, said China had “taken advantage” of the United States for far too long and vowed to protect an industry that has been “used as a vehicle” by Beijing to hurt America’s economy."

No, Mr. President, this all began when you placed a 25% tariff on Chinese goods, and the Chinese retaliated. I guess Trump forgot that part.

Trump has his own reality. It is different from the rest of us. “Farmers have been attacked by China,” Trump said, adding that if the United States is in a trade war, “we’re winning it big.”

Really, Mr President? You have the balls to say that to a room full of farmers. They don't feel like they are winning. That is why you are giving them 16 billion. Did you forget that part, too?

The irony is, hardworking farmers don't want welfare. They want a level playing field where they can grow and sell their products and eke out a living. Trump is denying them that privilege, not China.

That $28b could have educated or retrained a significant portion of our workforce to meet the changing demands of our labor market. Having a competent and ready workforce is a far better investment going foreward.

Big change like this takes time and isn't for the weak hand wringers. You might want to sit this one out if it makes you a nervous Nellie.

Jobs.

Jobs.

Unemployment is at 3.6% with more than 1 million more open positions than people looking for a job.

Seems we are doing ok with jobs.

Jobs.

Unemployment is at 3.6% with more than 1 million more open positions than people looking for a job.

Seems we are doing ok with jobs.
Ok. Thank you, Mr. President.

Forum List

Back