Trump's Speech at CIA Headquarters

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
I'm not a big fan of partisanship. That's probably not surprising since I've never joined a political party. But I understand the human need for individuals to join organizations that tend to be comprised of other like-minded people. This is true whether it's a religious group like a church, or a values-oriented group like a fitness organization of some kind, or a political party which espouses a particular political philosophy.

With that said, I have a real problem with hyper-partisanship. That's because it blinds people to both the good aspects of candidates of opposing parties as well as to the failings in their own candidates and/or their positions on issues. Then, they just "dig in," often willing to defend the indefensible much like the fans of one sports team will rail against an umpire's call even when the evidence is there that it was a good call. This is the kind of thing that has led people on the left, and later on the right, to respectively loathe both President Bush and President Obama without much in the way of rational analyses to support those feelings.

That's why, when choosing a candidate, I've always preferred common sense and competence over ideology, as well as pragmatism over an unreasonable all-or-nothing approach to legislating.

But there are a couple of things that are even more important. One is mental, emotional, and psychological health and stability in our leaders. The other is not having some sense of grandiosity that manifests itself in unbridled ambition. The sheer number of past and present dictators all around the world who have laid waste to their countries as well as their neighbors is a testament to that fact. The ambitions of those men combined with their paranoia and their unhealthy state of mind has resulted in hundreds of millions of deaths and the kind of destruction that even major natural disasters never cause.

America, however, has been extremely lucky in this regard. Despite the hyperbolic statements of hyper-partisans, America has never suffered from being ruled by dictators, tyrants, or truly irrational leaders. Our Constitution has a lot to do with that, of course. So has our long-standing history of a peaceful transition of power which, since FDR, means that no president can serve more than two of his/her own terms in office.The long primary selection process that winnows the field over time is also part of the reason. But that doesn't mean that we've never had presidents who haven't suffered from mental illness while in office.

Abraham Lincoln had terrible bouts of what in his day was termed melancholy. Today, it would be diagnosed as clinical depression.

In the modern era, both LBJ and Nixon had relatively serious emotional and psychological issues during their times in office. In the case of LBJ, it was at least partly due to the Vietnam War. It resulted in Johnson refusing to run for a second term. After leaving office in January 1969, he actually grew out his hair into what would today be called a mullet, and he ultimately died at a relatively young age only 4 years and 2 days after leaving office.

In Nixon's case, his paranoia and his penchant for compiling an enemies list led to a break in at the Democratic HQ which ultimately led to his resignation as his and his staff's crimes eventually came to light. He even had an emotional breakdown in the presence of Henry Kissinger prior to his resignation. But, it took years in office for these men to reach that point.

Below is a video of Trump giving a short speech of less than 16 minutes to the CIA on his very first full day in office. Personally, I was uncomfortable while watching it, and I was sincerely unnerved after having seen it. Trump's seeming inability to stay on topic isn't even the major problem. Watch his facial expressions. Listen to his grandiosity. It's like a train wreck. If watching Trump's "performance" doesn't cause you to question his state of mind and consequently doesn't make you nervous, or at least uncomfortable, I can't help but wonder if you've lost your objectivity due to hyper-partisanship.

In closing, let me say this. I'd be willing to bet that questioning Trump's state of mind and his mental health is a topic of conversation at the highest levels of both major political parties.

Trump's full speech at CIA headquarters - The Washington Post

Last edited:
Shameful that he always puts paid shills in his audience to clap like they agree with him.

could he be different because unlike the other asswipes in DC this guy was not born in a political setting?....

He's never been told no, and it it scares him. It might not be his fault that he doesn't recognize reality, but we can't be held hostage to his twisted view of it.

could he be different because unlike the other asswipes in DC this guy was not born in a political setting?....

He's never been told no, and it it scares him. It might not be his fault that he doesn't recognize reality, but we can't be held hostage to his twisted view of it.
lots of wealthy politicians think their shit dont stink.....what else you got?...

I see no evidence that it scares him. But I DO see plenty of evidence that he just makes stuff up with no regard to objective truth whatsoever, and that he's been doing this for his entire adult life. Like in real life, if this continues, it will reach a point where nobody is going to believe a word our president says. The negative consequences for our international relations can't be overestimated.

But we ARE!

Even months before the election, I told people that I thought Trump was suffering from some kind of personality disorder. After the election, I told people that I thought it was very possible that Trump would be impeached, even though the effort would have to be led by his own party. However, here we are just days after Trump was sworn in, and he's STILL making wild unsubstantiated claims about massive nationwide voter fraud which federal and state officials of both parties say is not true, and he's offered absolutely no evidence of support other than to cite conspiracy theory websites. I can't help but wonder how long this kind of nonsense can go on before there is a growing chorus for Trump to submit to a psychological examination to determine whether or not he's mentally fit to continue serving in office. Meanwhile, he's the only man in the country with access to the nuclear codes and the authority to use them. Think I'm being overly dramatic? I can understand that. But let me ask you this: What if one day he claims he has information that Iran, or China, or some other country is about to launch a nuclear attack on us, and we as a nation need to attack first? What then? Nobody was worried about Obama, or Bush, or Clinton doing that. You think people, including leading Republicans and Democrats and people in other countries, feel the same way about Trump? I don't.

But we ARE!

Even months before the election, I told people that I thought Trump was suffering from some kind of personality disorder. After the election, I told people that I thought it was very possible that Trump would be impeached, even though the effort would have to be led by his own party. However, here we are just days after Trump was sworn in, and he's STILL making wild unsubstantiated claims about massive nationwide voter fraud which federal and state officials of both parties say is not true, and he's offered absolutely no evidence of support other than to cite conspiracy theory websites. I can't help but wonder how long this kind of nonsense can go on before there is a growing chorus for Trump to submit to a psychological examination to determine whether or not he's mentally fit to continue serving in office. Meanwhile, he's the only man in the country with access to the nuclear codes and the authority to use them. Think I'm being overly dramatic? I can understand that. But let me ask you this: What if one day he claims he has information that Iran, or China, or some other country is about to launch a nuclear attack on us, and we as a nation need to attack first? What then? Nobody was worried about Obama, or Bush, or Clinton doing that. You think people, including leading Republicans and Democrats and people in other countries, feel the same way about Trump? I don't.

Unfortunately, he probably won't be impeached as long as he doesn't interfere with the right pushing their agenda through.

But we ARE!

Unfortunately, he probably won't be impeached as long as he doesn't interfere with the right pushing their agenda through.

But we ARE!

I can see why people might believe that, but he's not one of them, and they know it. In fact, they've never been comfortable with him because they know it, and because he's espoused ideas that run contrary to their agenda. Consequently, they would not be surprised if and when he pushed ideas they would be against. With that said, Republicans KNOW that Pence IS philosophically and ideologically one of them.

Shameful that he always puts paid shills in his audience to clap like they agree with him.
i did not see that link backing that up ludd....you must have forgotten to put it up....

Harry Dresden

Sorry. I always forget that RWNJs are incapable of educating themselves.

Trump paid actors to cheer his 2016 launch: report

CBS Confirms Trump Brought His Own Studio Audience To Clap For Him At CIA Speech

Report: Trump Stocked Audience At CIA Speech With Cheering Supporters

Did President Trump Bring a Cheering Crowd with Him to Visit the CIA?

I thought that Trump was rather condescending to an "intelligence" network with a secret budget that has failed in such a spectacular way in the last twenty years and obviously has become a tool of mostly liberal agendas. Let's hope he didn't make the same mistake as George Bush by keeping useless drones appointed by democrat administrations.

i did not see that link backing that up ludd....you must have forgotten to put it up....

Harry Dresden

Sorry. I always forget that RWNJs are incapable of educating themselves.

Trump paid actors to cheer his 2016 launch: report

CBS Confirms Trump Brought His Own Studio Audience To Clap For Him At CIA Speech

Report: Trump Stocked Audience At CIA Speech With Cheering Supporters

Did President Trump Bring a Cheering Crowd with Him to Visit the CIA?
sorry but your good buddy dean says it aint the truth until you can back it up,i just thought you so called "educated" far lefties knew that.....

I'm not a big fan of partisanship. That's probably not surprising since I've never joined a political party. But I understand the human need for individuals to join organizations that tend to be comprised of other like-minded people. This is true whether it's a religious group like a church, or a values-oriented group like a fitness organization of some kind, or a political party which espouses a particular political philosophy.

With that said, I have a real problem with hyper-partisanship. That's because it blinds people to both the good aspects of candidates of opposing parties as well as to the failings in their own candidates and/or their positions on issues. Then, they just "dig in," often willing to defend the indefensible much like the fans of one sports team will rail against an umpire's call even when the evidence is there that it was a good call. This is the kind of thing that has led people on the left, and later on the right, to respectively loathe both President Bush and President Obama without much in the way of rational analyses to support those feelings.

That's why, when choosing a candidate, I've always preferred common sense and competence over ideology, as well as pragmatism over an unreasonable all-or-nothing approach to legislating.

But there are a couple of things that are even more important. One is mental, emotional, and psychological health and stability in our leaders. The other is not having some sense of grandiosity that manifests itself in unbridled ambition. The sheer number of past and present dictators all around the world who have laid waste to their countries as well as their neighbors is a testament to that fact. The ambitions of those men combined with their paranoia and their unhealthy state of mind has resulted in hundreds of millions of deaths and the kind of destruction that even major natural disasters never cause.

America, however, has been extremely lucky in this regard. Despite the hyperbolic statements of hyper-partisans, America has never suffered from being ruled by dictators, tyrants, or truly irrational leaders. Our Constitution has a lot to do with that, of course. So has our long-standing history of a peaceful transition of power which, since FDR, means that no president can serve more than two of his/her own terms in office.The long primary selection process that winnows the field over time is also part of the reason. But that doesn't mean that we've never had presidents who haven't suffered from mental illness while in office.

Abraham Lincoln had terrible bouts of what in his day was termed melancholy. Today, it would be diagnosed as clinical depression.

In the modern era, both LBJ and Nixon had relatively serious emotional and psychological issues during their times in office. In the case of LBJ, it was at least partly due to the Vietnam War. It resulted in Johnson refusing to run for a second term. After leaving office in January 1969, he actually grew out his hair into what would today be called a mullet, and he ultimately died at a relatively young age only 4 years and 2 days after leaving office.

In Nixon's case, his paranoia and his penchant for compiling an enemies list led to a break in at the Democratic HQ which ultimately led to his resignation as his and his staff's crimes eventually came to light. He even had an emotional breakdown in the presence of Henry Kissinger prior to his resignation. But, it took years in office for these men to reach that point.

Below is a video of Trump giving a short speech of less than 16 minutes to the CIA on his very first full day in office. Personally, I was uncomfortable while watching it, and I was sincerely unnerved after having seen it. Trump's seeming inability to stay on topic isn't even the major problem. Watch his facial expressions. Listen to his grandiosity. It's like a train wreck. If watching Trump's "performance" doesn't cause you to question his state of mind and consequently doesn't make you nervous, or at least uncomfortable, I can't help but wonder if you've lost your objectivity due to hyper-partisanship.

In closing, let me say this. I'd be willing to bet that questioning Trump's state of mind and his mental health is a topic of conversation at the highest levels of both major political parties.

Trump's full speech at CIA headquarters - The Washington Post

Not a fan of partisanship? Everything I've ever seen you write is hack partisan Democrat

If only we would all open our eyes to the wonders of government as you have and accept reality

Spicer in his press conference admitted there were 10 Tramp shills so we know there had to be at least 40 to 100.

lk012417_color_zpsjj18pzzt.jpg

Forum List

Back