Trumpcare would lower premiums in 2020. Read below for The Catch

Do you view high deductibles favorably or unfavorably?

• Favorably. I'm not normal

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Unfavorably

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Ted Frazier

Gold Member
Nov 12, 2016
I suspected that there was a catch to
the forecast that Trumpcare would lower premiums in 2020. I was right.
In 2020, though, the CBO predicts they would drop an average of 30 percent. The biggest reason: Starting that year, new tax credits created by the Senate bill would be tied to skimpier insurance plans covering a smaller share of customers’ health care. As a ripple effect, those individuals would be charged sharply higher deductibles before their insurer began paying.
Vote in my poll. Do you love or hate to pay huge deductibles?
Senate GOP focuses on insurance premiums, but would health plans be affordable?

Last edited:
We normally care higher deductibles to get breaks on various kinds of insurance.

We can afford that. Many people can't.

In 2020, though, the CBO predicts they would drop an average of 30 percent. The biggest reason: Starting that year, new tax credits created by the Senate bill would be tied to skimpier insurance plans covering a smaller share of customers’ health care. As a ripple effect, those individuals would be charged sharply higher deductibles before their insurer began paying.

I've been saying that all along, premiums cannot be lowered unless the plans are cut. High deductible and nothing paid for until your deductible is paid for and then only 80/20 or 70/30 up to $20000 out of pocket. No copays you pay the 20 or 30% only after the deductible, then you have a plan that's dirt cheap. Also taking personal responsibility. Make them HSA compatible and set yourself up an HSA at a bank.

Thirty percent savings monthly. That's nothing to shake a stick at, honestly.

Now here's the real issue though. Why are politicians deciding the numbers? Shouldn't the market do that? Obamacare was BS; "Trumpcare" will be problematic at a minimum.

And here's the overarching problem that I see. Both parties are intent on serving their corporate benefactors. It's a shame that Americans are too damn stupid or otherwise content with the nonsense like frogs in the boiling water. Oh, well.

We normally care higher deductibles to get breaks on various kinds of insurance.

Same here.

When we were on ObamaCares, our deductible and premium were low. Now we have Medicare with a very affordable premium. We also now carry a policy for the donut hole and we purposely chose a higher deductible for that. And, we now have separate drug coverage.

With the drug insurance, it varies from one carrier to the next.

What ticks me off is that Big Pharma still makes a huge profit.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Same here.

When we were on ObamaCares, our deductible and premium were low. Now we have Medicare with a very affordable premium. We also now carry a policy for the donut hole and we purposely chose a higher deductible for that. And, we now have separate drug coverage.

A policy for the donut hole? That sounds very much like a scam. Instead of paying premiums to cover the donut hole get yourself a good RX card. It's free.Big pharma is paying a good portion of your brand names drugs in the donut hole.

Same here.

Costs in the coverage gap | Medicare.gov

Same here.

How long were you on Obama care? 6 months?

At least with Tumpcare I'd have a lower monthly premium and if anything catastrophic were to happen, my out of pocket losses would be capped. Currently I do not have any healthcare under the ACA since it is too outrageous to pay both a high deductible and a premium that is equal to two car payments.

Same here.

I see a couple of problems with this.

1) Bull shit that both your premium AND your deductible were low, unless your employer heavily subsidized it, in that case you're spoiled... or you didn't work.
2) Now you're simply just a drain on society because you're getting taxpayer funded medicare while the middle class pays rates that aren't affordable to them.

Forum List

Back