Trump says he would impose term limits for members of Congress

Gerrymandering is part of the process. See, those that control the state legislature get to draw the lines. Elections have consequences.

And you don't see any sort of problem that state legislators get to draw their own district lines?

It would be great if he would impose not only term limits for Congress but also a mandatory retirement age for Congress and the Supreme Court

uhhh, doesn't it take a Constitutional amendment, with 2/3rds house. 2/3's senate and 2/3's of the States to agree to this change to our constitution, by limiting congress critters term limits???

I would venture to say, this is just another promise that was known when said, that it could not be kept....

Trump says he would impose term limits for members of Congress

Donald Trump has said he would use the US presidency to impose term limits on members of Congress as part of a drive to “drain the swamp” of Washington corruption.

Currently, House members can serve an unlimited number of two-year terms, while senators can serve an unlimited number of six-year terms. The Republican candidate told cheering supporters in Grand Junction, Colorado, that he would push for a constitutional amendment.
This is not a bad idea because politics should be a service to people and not a job!
But I don't think he would achieve this target!
Nobody want to lose his political career :)

This is interesting. They do indeed threaten businesses at their fundraisers that if they don't contribute enough money to their campaigns, then they will not re-license them when reelected. What if this whole thing is a little bit like negotiating with a king?

There was at LEAST one congressman who admitted that the longer a congressperson remains in congress, the more corrupt they are apt to become. Term limits, yes.

How can they propose a term limit? Can they propose not to vote for a salary raise for themselves when it is put up every year? Maybe, how about this. We propose that those who lose their reelection campaigns in progress, get a pension for life. This is a corrupt bribe, but this may be the only thing that can split them enough to even consider term limits. ... Oh I've just remembered, they already have life pensions upon losing reelections. How can this be negotiated?

Forum List

Back