Trump says he would impose term limits for members of Congress

Spin. He said he would push for a constitutional amendment. The Executive branch cannot impose term limits on Congress.

Exactly. He would push for a Constitutional Amendment. There are only two ways that our constitution can be amended, and neither of them are the president declaring it with an executive order.

On this I disagree with Donald J Trump. Term limits do nothing but take a choice away from the voters. If the voters want them out, they'll vote them out. We don't need our choices limited.

The Founders never intended career politicians to lead.
How the F do you know?

I'm educated.

The founders did not intend for the voters to determine who was the senators for their state. Prior to the passage of the 17th Amendment, the states determined who the senator for that state would be, not the voters. The founding fathers hammered out the plan in 1776-1789, the first senators elected by the votes came in November 1913 in Maryland.

On this I disagree with Donald J Trump. Term limits do nothing but take a choice away from the voters. If the voters want them out, they'll vote them out. We don't need our choices limited.

How the F do you know?

I'm educated.

The founders did not intend for the voters to determine who was the senators for their state. Prior to the passage of the 17th Amendment, the states determined who the senator for that state would be, not the voters.

That is correct.

How the F do you know?

I'm educated.

You're laughing because you're not.

Try Federalist #45 and #51.

Who served the longest of the senators of the first Congress? Of the original senators six of them served out the rest of their lives. Granted their lives weren't that long after taking office as a senator. The longest serving senators from the 1st Congress would have to be William Patterson and Theodore Foster.

George Read served the rest of his life (6 years)
James Gunn served the rest of his life (2 years)
John Henry served the rest of his life (1 year)
William Patterson served the rest of his life (13 years)
Joseph Stanton, Jr. served the rest of his life (6 years)
William Grayson served the rest of his life (1 year)

Theodore Foster served 13 years
Rufus King served 12 years (died two years after leaving office)

Politicians making careers out of public office. That is exactly why we need term limits. They care more about their positions than the people they are supposed to represent.

Politicians making careers out of public office. That is exactly why we need term limits. They care more about their positions than the people they are supposed to represent.

You want term limits because the voters keep electing them? Therefore, you feel it necessary to take that option away from the voters? Next shall we declare that the voters can't vote for a Democrat or a Republican but must pick a third party, since not very many of them get elected? Maybe we decide there are too many men in Congress and compel the voters to vote for a woman by removing men as an option.

This is nothing more than people not liking the will of the voters. The voters keep reelected these Representatives and Senators. If you want them out of office, present a better option to the voter.

Don't you need a legislative change to impose congressional term limits? The president is not the legislative branch. So how would trump have authority for this?

Trump cannot do this alone. The bill needs to be brought up in the house. Unfortunately, I don't see any of the scum we have in congress actually doing something that would jeopardize their positions.

"Trump says he would impose term limits for members of Congress"

Trump is wrong yet again.

We already have term limits – they’re called elections.

The people have the fundamental right to elect whomever they want for as long as they want.

Real, substantive change can occur only at the very local level, not from the top down, and not by ridiculous gimmicks such as ‘term limits.’
Uh huh.

Trump cannot do this alone. The bill needs to be brought up in the house. Unfortunately, I don't see any of the scum we have in congress actually doing something that would jeopardize their positions.
Indeed. So much for the checks and balances, and for the republic as a whole. I have an idea. Trump will be the landless King, and congress will be the nobility with unlimited power.

‘Term limits’ is a ‘solution’ in search of a ‘problem’ that doesn’t exist.

The voters of the states and House districts have the right vote for whomever they want and have those representatives and senators serve for as long as the voters want.

It's the gerrymandering that is the problem.

Gerrymandering the district's is what makes their seats secure....it's cheating the citizens out of their vote for representation....

Constitutional term limits would prevent an ocean of corruption. I strongly favor it.

Like I've said Constitutional Term Limits only do one thing, take a choice away from the voters. Why do you support less choice for voters? Hell, why not just dictate who they can elect?

It is limiting our choices when you have someone that's been in Congress for 30 years who refuses to step down. We need new ideas, not old school cronyism and back scratching like what has been happening.

No, what you do not get is that they are not refusing to step down. The voters, remember them? The voters are electing and re-electing them to office. If the voters do not want them in office, then the voters should vote them out. You do not like the results of the elections so you want to change the rules. You can't beat them at the ballot box so you want to do it by passing laws.

It's the gerrymandering that is the problem.

Gerrymandering the district's is what makes their seats secure....it's cheating the citizens out of their vote for representation....

Interesting theory but that's all it is, a theory. If that was the case, how do you explain the Senators? Are the states gerrymandered? Are the state borders moved to protect Senate seats? No, they aren't.

New Topics

Forum List

Back