Trump says he will keep parts of Obamacare

Donald Trump, in Exclusive Interview, Tells WSJ He Is Willing to Keep Parts of Obama Health Law

You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. You trim the fat and make it leaner and work better. You throw 20 million people off healthcare you will have a revolt on your hands and a HUGE loss in 2018. I agree with Trump here....EVERYONE that hates Obamacare hates it because its WAY to expensive and ridiculous to FORCE people to buy healthcare.
I think Trump will have to reconsider keeping any part of Obamacare because it is simply unworkable and too many Republicans in Congress won't tolerate it. Certainly, everyone should have the opportunity to get affordable healthcare, but if he keeps the provision that insurers must accept high risk people at the same rate as others, he must keep the mandate to spread the cost over a large number of people and in that system we have already seen insurers must significantly raise premiums and co-pays or drop out of the market, making healthcare less affordable. The system is simply unworkable and it is not a question of if Obamacare will fail, but when Obamacare will fair.

What is needed is an entirely new approach to providing affordable healthcare to those who are poor or who have pre existing conditions. Fortunately, we already have that has been in existence for many years. There are already thousands of clinics funded by a state-federal partnership program under HEW that provide comprehensive healthcare and dental care, including tests and medications to patients on a sliding scale according to income. The poorest patients pay nothing and middle class patients market comparable fees. About 1 in every 13 people in the US already get their primary healthcare at these clinics. For this system to provide complete healthcare, it would have to be supplemented with a hospital care insurance on a sliding scale basis. Since this program already existed, it could have been expanded in a revenue bill, which cannot be filibustered in the Senate, so if Obama had chosen to go this route, everyone in America would have had access to affordable healthcare in a month. It would have left the private healthcare system intact and it would have provided affordable healthcare to all the people who fell through the cracks in that system. If Trump decides to go this route, everyone in America will have access to affordable healthcare in a month and with Obamacare gone, insurance premiums would fall because the insurers would no longer have to cover high risk people.

http://www.bphc.hrsa.gov/about/healthcenterfactsheet.pdf

About the Health Center Program

There are some problems with all this. First of all, how can government (or anybody else for that matter) determine what one can afford? This is what Commie Care does. Government says if you make X amount of money, and you live in X area, YOU CAN afford X amount in healthcare, and then they determine how much they will kick in for you to afford it.

Okay, so you know what my income is. Do you know what my car payment is, my credit card payments, outstanding medical bills, my mortgage or rent payments, my child support or even alimony in rare cases, my utility bills, gasoline costs, my property taxes............

If preexisting conditions is the problem, then what we should have done is anybody that can't get insurance at a reasonable cost, or can't get insurance period, should be allowed to go on a government program like Medicare or Medicaid. Yes, you should have to pay into those programs as well, but at least be able to deduct your actual living expenses before it's determined what you can or can't afford.
There is no problem determining what you can afford to pay for healthcare. For your area and family size if you income is at or above the average income of similar people who buy their own health insurance, then you will be charge the prevailing market rate for the services you received. Similarly, for your area and family size it is unreasonable to believe you can afford to pay nothing, then you pay nothing. There you have the top and bottom of the scale and there is no problem defining increments.

Remember this program already exists and has existed for many years. It is intended to serve the health care needs that the private market fails to serve, making it essentially a welfare program, but a very low cost, efficient one. Presently, it only provides primary care services, but it does this for much less money than Medicaid does. It is a very simple system to maintain and a simple system for patients to access. It provides universal access to affordable healthcare at a very low cost to taxpayers. Setting ideological concerns aside, it is a win for everyone.

Yeah, it's just for serving those who the market fails to serve... that's all it is, nothing more to see here folks!

What an idiot. It's a costly industry overtaking disaster. But it did put Trump into office.

There is no problem determining what you can afford to pay for healthcare. For your area and family size if you income is at or above the average income of similar people who buy their own health insurance, then you will be charge the prevailing market rate for the services you received. Similarly, for your area and family size it is unreasonable to believe you can afford to pay nothing, then you pay nothing. There you have the top and bottom of the scale and there is no problem defining increments.

There is a problem because you can't determine what an income actually is or what expenses they actually have.

For instance, I'm a single guy who's never had children. How can you compare my income to a single guy with the same income who is paying child support on three children he had in an earlier relationship?

Or perhaps because I live alone, how can you compare my income to a person with a similar income who is living with a woman? HIs costs are cut in half because of her income is not recognized as part of his since they are not legally married.

It's not a one size fits all situation. I'm against government run medical care, but if we are to go down that road, then it's simple. Have a consumption tax to pay for it all. Dissolve Medicare and it's payroll deductions and let the consumption tax fund the program. Everybody gets medical care---everybody pays for it.

There is a problem because you can't determine what an income actually is or what expenses they actually have.
For instance, I'm a single guy who's never had children. How can you compare my income to a single guy with the same income who is paying child support on three children he had in an earlier relationship?

Or perhaps because I live alone, how can you compare my income to a person with a similar income who is living with a woman? HIs costs are cut in half because of her income is not recognized as part of his since they are not legally married.

It's not a one size fits all situation. I'm against government run medical care, but if we are to go down that road, then it's simple. Have a consumption tax to pay for it all. Dissolve Medicare and it's payroll deductions and let the consumption tax fund the program. Everybody gets medical care---everybody pays for it.

Donald Trump, in Exclusive Interview, Tells WSJ He Is Willing to Keep Parts of Obama Health Law

You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. You trim the fat and make it leaner and work better. You throw 20 million people off healthcare you will have a revolt on your hands and a HUGE loss in 2018. I agree with Trump here....EVERYONE that hates Obamacare hates it because its WAY to expensive and ridiculous to FORCE people to buy healthcare.

They can throw out the entire law and pass new legislation addressing those specific items. The mandate and minimum coverage requirements need to go.

They can throw out the entire law and pass new legislation addressing those specific items. The mandate and minimum coverage requirements need to go.

Yes, I agree.

I also want to see something that says that if an insurer wants to drop you...they can....but they refund every premium you've ever paid (regardless of claims), interest, and a flat charge (pentalty, if you will).

Just the beginning of a Democrat shedding Republican clothing.

So you're saying there should be an appeal process for people with special circumstances and that is a valid point, but it would be a valid point for any program in which the government tries to provide access to healthcare to people who can't buy their own private insurance.

While the vast majority of Americans were well served by the private health insurance system we had before Obamacare, there were people who couldn't afford to buy into that system, and most people would agree the government should provide a safety net to help those people. Historically, there are two ways in which the government helps these people: welfare programs such as I have described or social insurance programs like Obamacare. Welfare programs serve the needs of the poor without disturbing the lives of the rest of us except for slightly higher taxes, but as we have seen with Obamacare social insurance programs distort the very systems that the rest of America depends on. Ironically, the best way to prevent the government from making choices for all of us is to allow it to maintain separate programs that only address the needs of people with special needs.

He always said some parts of it were in keeping with the times we are living in so stop trying to turn his words around. Now we enter the freak out season for distraught liberals. Double check everything you hear them say. The lies and falsehoods and exaggerations will be flyin.

Yep!
He has said all throughout his campaign that he would repeal Obama care, keep the good parts and replace it with healthcare that works for all.
It's the media that distorted what he really said.

He always said some parts of it were in keeping with the times we are living in so stop trying to turn his words around. Now we enter the freak out season for distraught liberals. Double check everything you hear them say. The lies and falsehoods and exaggerations will be flyin.

Yep!
He has said all throughout his campaign that he would repeal Obama care, keep the good parts and replace it with healthcare that works for all.

He's also reneged on the Great Big Wall.

Let's see you 'splain how the media "distorted" that.

As far as Im concerned, they can keep all of obama care just as it is except for a couple things. One thing being the mandatory insurance coverage that one has to carry or be fined, and the other is that this thing called obamacare has to be self funded, no tax dollars and no sharing of premiums with others. There is no reason obamacare as describe by the left should not be able to support itself without taking from those that dont need or want to contribute to it.
I will keep paying my premiums for the policy Ive had for the last 20+ years.
Insurance companies should not be obligated to cover subsidies either. obamacare can either make it or fold, I dont care, I have mine and thats all that really should matter to me. Its not my problem if someone else does not have coverage.

Yep!

He's also reneged on the Great Big Wall.

Let's see you 'splain how the media "distorted" that.
He hasn't reneged on the wall and he hasn't reneged on Obamacare.

Forum List

Back