Trump right..."Violence on video games...shaping youths' thoughts"

So CNN has the below article initially first paragraph discounting President Trump's statement with a subjective, personal observation by a Parkland school shooting survivor.
"I'm hearing more and more people saying the level of violence on video games is really shaping young people's thoughts," he said. "And then you go the further step, and that's the movies. You see these movies -- they're so violent, and yet a kid is able to see the movie if sex isn't involved." Killing, though, is involved, he said.

His remarks were dismissed by Chris Grady, a survivor of the February 14 shootings at Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida: "I grew up playing video games ... first-person shooter games, and I would never, ever dream of taking the lives of any of my peers."

BUT what do the experts say?
The psychological group reports that more than 90% of children in the United States play video games.

Among kids between the ages of 12 and 17, the number rises to 97%.

More important, 85% or more of video games on the market contain some form of violence.

The titles seem to say it all: "Manhunt," "Thrill Kill," "Gears of War" and "Mortal Kombat." However, even the seemingly benign "Pokemon Go" requires players to go to battle.
The American Psychological Association observed in an August 2015 policy statement that research demonstrated a link:
"between violent video game use and both increases in aggressive behavior ... and decreases in prosocial behavior, empathy, and moral engagement."

In its July 2016 guideline on media violence, the American Academy of Pediatrics warned that violent media set a poor example for kids. Video games, the academy noted, "should not use human or other living targets or award points for killing, because this teaches children to associate pleasure and success with their ability to cause pain and suffering to others."
Overall, the academy's summary of the results from more than 400 studies revealed a "significant" link between being exposed to violent media (in general) and aggressive behavior, aggressive thoughts and angry feelings.

Do video games lead to violence? - CNN

And yet very very seldom do we hear/read/see any comments, stories, etc. from the MSM regarding the immense influence these violent video games have on future killers.
All we hear/read/see is we need to get rid of guns...!
What will they say when the next school shooter WHO IS OUT THERE comes into the school brandishing
dynamite sticks, or vials of anthrax, or somethings OTHER than GUNS?

Instead of going after as the experts tell them the influencing factors... the MSM goes after the simplistic unrealistic non-solution!
Anyone who denies that this is, at very least, partially cultural is so lost in their partisan ideology as to be of no value in the conversation.

So CNN has the below article initially first paragraph discounting President Trump's statement with a subjective, personal observation by a Parkland school shooting survivor.
"I'm hearing more and more people saying the level of violence on video games is really shaping young people's thoughts," he said. "And then you go the further step, and that's the movies. You see these movies -- they're so violent, and yet a kid is able to see the movie if sex isn't involved." Killing, though, is involved, he said.

His remarks were dismissed by Chris Grady, a survivor of the February 14 shootings at Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida: "I grew up playing video games ... first-person shooter games, and I would never, ever dream of taking the lives of any of my peers."

BUT what do the experts say?
The psychological group reports that more than 90% of children in the United States play video games.

Among kids between the ages of 12 and 17, the number rises to 97%.

More important, 85% or more of video games on the market contain some form of violence.

The titles seem to say it all: "Manhunt," "Thrill Kill," "Gears of War" and "Mortal Kombat." However, even the seemingly benign "Pokemon Go" requires players to go to battle.
The American Psychological Association observed in an August 2015 policy statement that research demonstrated a link:
"between violent video game use and both increases in aggressive behavior ... and decreases in prosocial behavior, empathy, and moral engagement."

In its July 2016 guideline on media violence, the American Academy of Pediatrics warned that violent media set a poor example for kids. Video games, the academy noted, "should not use human or other living targets or award points for killing, because this teaches children to associate pleasure and success with their ability to cause pain and suffering to others."
Overall, the academy's summary of the results from more than 400 studies revealed a "significant" link between being exposed to violent media (in general) and aggressive behavior, aggressive thoughts and angry feelings.

Do video games lead to violence? - CNN

And yet very very seldom do we hear/read/see any comments, stories, etc. from the MSM regarding the immense influence these violent video games have on future killers.
All we hear/read/see is we need to get rid of guns...!
What will they say when the next school shooter WHO IS OUT THERE comes into the school brandishing
dynamite sticks, or vials of anthrax, or somethings OTHER than GUNS?

Instead of going after as the experts tell them the influencing factors... the MSM goes after the simplistic unrealistic non-solution!
What excuse was used for Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin?
He played his records backwards.
I always thought it was the evolution of two square into four square...

I don't see cause and effect

I see millions of kids playing violent video games. What I don't see is kids using their available money to buy guns so they can be like the guys in the video games. Whatever money they have goes to buying more video games
Hey it doesn't take millions of kids. It takes one Cruz! But sadly to say there are 1,000s of "Cruz's" out there.
And you didn't seem to comprehend the other part of my post i.e. the veneration. The exultation. The massive coverage of Cruz and others like him by the MSM!
It is so strange. There is Federal Law passed in 1996 Called HIPAA. Says you can't release ANY health information upon severe penalty.
Yet we can have the MSM plaster Cruz's pictures, etc. giving massive ego building to these really pathetic people.

So again... not only video games affecting 1,000s of potential Cruz's but then when it happens... great coverage!

Forum List

Back