trump Removes Funding For Stars & Stripes

trump's war on the media continues. Now it's Stars and Stripes. A paper read by about 1 million people. Probably mostly those in the military.

It's only 15 million dollars. It's so sad that trump is doing this. I hope that congress restores the funding.

Trump budget zeroes out funding for Stars and Stripes, the military's newspaper
So based on your own math if you want to read it those million people can get it for 15 bucks a year.

Hope he cuts NPR next.
the stars and stripes was the ONLY newspaper us military related Americans stationed over seas had in English....

this is bull crap!

4 weekends of his stays at his golf resorts with secret service costs and airforce 1 flying him and the wifey costs, could pay for it....
It’s we military and overseas is one word. You’re not in the military. You’re a lying Leftist. How dare you!?
i'm a military brat dufus! I'm a military family member stationed overseas with their military father or military husband.... the Stars and Stripes was for the military and military families stationed overseas... the paper, made us all, feel closer to home and unified as American families.

I was not stationed with family overseas when the internet was prevalent or a daily routine.... it might have been non existent for laymen? Maybe things are different? But from what the soldiers say about it in the article, internet service is not available or lacking and those on battlefields do not always have service and I read they are not allowed to use their phones in many circumstances because we don't want them to be tracked by enemies via their phones....

I just think that if the Military guys and families overseas really want to keep the Stars and Stripes because it makes them feel more at HOME when they are serving overseas, no matter where, then maybe there is something else the Pentagon can cut?

And certainly with a near $800 Billion yearly budget for our total Defense budget, there is something else that is wasteful, to cut....

And as someone said earlier, Pelosi likely would not cut it in her budget if the military n families, still really want it....

So when stationed overseas do they or do they not have WiFi?

I doubt they all do and I know some cannot have or use their cells.

Another right-wing attack on freedom of speech. And one that directly affects our military. So patriotic! Not.

Again...moron.......every soldier now has access to the internet.....and all the news from around the world....

What is it about this that you morons who hate the military...except when Trump is involved.........can't you understand?

I bet your life you're wrong.

So based on your own math if you want to read it those million people can get it for 15 bucks a year.

Hope he cuts NPR next.
the stars and stripes was the ONLY newspaper us military related Americans stationed over seas had in English....

this is bull crap!

4 weekends of his stays at his golf resorts with secret service costs and airforce 1 flying him and the wifey costs, could pay for it....
It’s we military and overseas is one word. You’re not in the military. You’re a lying Leftist. How dare you!?
i'm a military brat dufus! I'm a military family member stationed overseas with their military father or military husband.... the Stars and Stripes was for the military and military families stationed overseas... the paper, made us all, feel closer to home and unified as American families.

I was not stationed with family overseas when the internet was prevalent or a daily routine.... it might have been non existent for laymen? Maybe things are different? But from what the soldiers say about it in the article, internet service is not available or lacking and those on battlefields do not always have service and I read they are not allowed to use their phones in many circumstances because we don't want them to be tracked by enemies via their phones....

I just think that if the Military guys and families overseas really want to keep the Stars and Stripes because it makes them feel more at HOME when they are serving overseas, no matter where, then maybe there is something else the Pentagon can cut?

And certainly with a near $800 Billion yearly budget for our total Defense budget, there is something else that is wasteful, to cut....

And as someone said earlier, Pelosi likely would not cut it in her budget if the military n families, still really want it....

They have PCs there for them to use.

this is bull crap!

So what you are telling me every soldier in a war zone either has a cell or pc they can use?

So what you are telling me every soldier in a war zone either has a cell or pc they can use?
When they are their base, 100%. If they can get a newspaper then can get wifi

Is this from personal experience?

Is this from personal experience?
My bro in law. Not me personally.

this is bull crap!

Why are you being such an ass? You are obviously clueless to Military life, so maybe you need to shut your know it all trap, and step back....?

The Military guys and gals of today, seem to still want it, for all the reasons I listed and in addition, they said sitting down taking a break, with coffee or meal and paper, helps them relax and get their mind off of their duties and dangers...

The cell phone or internet, just doesn't give them that.... constant bombardment of ads, or social media, and having to scroll, and all that jazz when you can lay the paper on the table and eat or drink while you are reading....

You are in the Silicon Valley of the East, internet service is super duper fast and reliable.... there is no such thing for me up here in Maine, and I am in the USA, and you have absolutely no idea how frustrating and stressful it can get, just waiting for the gadget to move on to the next page, without freezing.... I don't think the Military and families, in most cases, have it any better than I do here, in the USA....

This is not about money. Guaranteed they resisted the administration planting stories in their paper.

You know, while people stationed on land bases might have access to the internet, the Navy doesn't have that luxury, especially when we are over 100 miles from land on deployment.

I think it's stupid to get rid of Stars and Stripes. It was one of my gotta get things when we pulled into a US port, and I would always borrow one from another member of the command if we were at sea and got a mail call.

Blah blah blah....an executive budget is a wish list. Congress funds the government. The President can veto or sign.

Maybe Stars & Stripes served a purpose when newspapers were the only source of information during the World Wars, Korea and Vietnam but today's U.S. Military has access to instant news on the internet just like folks back home. Stars and Stripes is privately published by something called the "Omnimedia Corp." and it is redundant and outdated. Time to let it make money on it's own or fade away.

Maybe Stars & Stripes served a purpose when newspapers were the only source of information during the World Wars, Korea and Vietnam but today's U.S. Military has access to instant news on the internet just like folks back home. Stars and Stripes is privately published by something called the "Omnimedia Corp." and it is redundant and outdated. Time to let it make money on it's own or fade away.

The last time I deployed on a cruise with the U.S. Navy was back in 1999, and no, we didn't have internet access while we were out at sea. The main way that we got news was AFN tapes that came in, message traffic that carried the news, and Navy Times and Stars and Stripes.

trump's war on the media continues. Now it's Stars and Stripes. A paper read by about 1 million people. Probably mostly those in the military.

It's only 15 million dollars. It's so sad that trump is doing this. I hope that congress restores the funding.

Trump budget zeroes out funding for Stars and Stripes, the military's newspaper
The only place I saw the Stars And Stripes was in Germany......and they pulled almost everyone out......so.....there's that.

image012-copy.jpg

Another right-wing attack on freedom of speech. And one that directly affects our military. So patriotic! Not.

We only have free speech if the government pays for it?

In general, no. The case of the members of our military services who are on duty around the world on our behalf is far different, and this move can very well be interpreted as the government trying to muzzle the free flow of information to them for political reasons.

"Thank you for your service, sheep."
Well, that is one screwed up way to look at that. Stars and Stripes can publish anytime, they just have to make a profit off of it. You know, like the New York Times does, or used to do.

Not giving them taxpayer money in NO WAY can be considered trying to muzzle anyone.

In fact, service members can get information online at any time.

Stripes - Independent U.S. military news from Iraq, Afghanistan and bases worldwide

ETA: Oh, and lookie here. Subscribe - Stripes

Stars and Stripes isn’t what it once was. They run anti-Trump articles all the time. I was appalled when I saw that, don’t recall them ever running negative stories on other commander-in-chiefs.
You don't get hints, do you?

Got to say, I have a hard time finding a fuck to give about this. This is not the 70s where there was no other source of information.

yet, us tax payers still pay for Rush Limbaugh's Radio show overseas for the Military..... :rolleyes:

can't they get him on their great internet service abroad?

Forum List

Back