Trump Promises Black Lung Benefits for All West Virginians

woz75

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2015
Wisconson
"I’ve survived cave-ins, gas explosions, floods, chemical leaks, electrocutions…you name it,” said retired coal miner, Dustin Lungshire, “but the absolute worst was that damn black lung.” Dustin believes there are risks no matter what occupation you choose to pursue. “It’s no more dangerous than the meth labs around here,” he said.

READ MORE AT: Trump Promises Black Lung Benefits for All West Virginians

Dale lost his mining job back in 2009 when regulations from the Obama Administration made it impossible to do business. “I was comfortably supporting my wife and her eight kids,” Gasper said, “until that Muslim terrorist occupied the White House.”
Dale says the President’s reassurance that black lung benefits would be available for all made his decision to allow his kids follow him into the coal mining business an easy one. “Like all parents I want what’s best for their future,” said Gasper, “and the future is coal.”

What an idiot.

Afraid he will appeal the ACA, coal is not coming back. Also coal companies should be made to pay WC's, not the Fed government.

Bounds is one of about 38,000 miners or eligible survivors — usually a spouse — currently receiving black lung benefits. The benefits are compensation for the physical damage Bounds sustained while doing his job. It took him 4 1/2 years to get approved, despite the fact that his lungs are so bad he has to stop moving to talk.

But now the qualification process is supposed to move faster. The Affordable Care Act includes special provisions that make the process of getting black lung benefits easier for coal miners. If the ACA is repealed, gaining these benefits could become much more difficult, effectively harming a group of people that President Trump has promised to protect.

"Coal company lawyers would doctor shop around the country and find two, three, four, five, seven doctors to say, 'Yes this miner is disabled, but it's not because of black lung,'" she says.

The Affordable Care Act includes something called the Byrd Amendments. One shifts the burden of proof — instead of miners having to prove that mining caused their black lung, the coal companies have to prove that mining didn't.

"You still have to prove the 100 percent disability, which is hard," says Wills. "But if you can prove that, and if you've worked 15 or more years or longer in the mines, then you're entitled to a presumption that your disease arose from your coal mine employment."

Another part provides lifetime benefits to certain dependents who survive the death of a miner, if the miner had been receiving the benefits before death.

If the ACA is repealed without a replacement, cases that were approved after the ACA went into effect could be reopened, leaving the miner or survivor vulnerable to losing the benefits. And, the burden of proof may shift again, making it difficult for applicants to qualify.

Obamacare Repeal Threatens A Health Benefit Popular In Coal Country

Last edited:

Forum List

Back