Trump posthumously pardons heavyweight boxer Jack Johnson

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
Trump posthumously pardons boxer Jack Johnson - CNNPolitics

Johnson, the first African-American world heavyweight boxing champion, was convicted in 1913 under the Mann Act for taking his white girlfriend across state lines for "immoral" purposes. The Mann Act purported to prevent human trafficking for the purpose of prostitution, but critics have argued it was applied inconsistently to criminalize African Americans and those with dissenting political views.
Johnson was convicted by an all-white jury in less than two hours and was imprisoned for a year. The sentence and imprisonment destroyed the boxing career of the "Galveston Giant." He died in 1946.

Politics aside, I am surprised Obama never did this.

Johnson, the first African-American world heavyweight boxing champion, was convicted in 1913 under the Mann Act for taking his white girlfriend across state lines for "immoral" purposes. The Mann Act purported to prevent human trafficking for the purpose of prostitution, but critics have argued it was applied inconsistently to criminalize African Americans and those with dissenting political views.
Johnson was convicted by an all-white jury in less than two hours and was imprisoned for a year. The sentence and imprisonment destroyed the boxing career of the "Galveston Giant." He died in 1946.

There were many things that obummer should have done, but never did. Good for trump for finally doing this. Jack Johnson was a great boxer who's only crime was he preferred the company of white women. His conviction was a sham, and a great stain on the history of this country.

There were many things that obummer should have done, but never did. Good for trump for finally doing this. Jack Johnson was a great boxer who's only crime was he preferred the company of white women. His conviction was a sham, and a great stain on the history of this country.

His second crime was being to big and strong for the KKK types to beat up, and too famous for them to lynch and get away with it.

So they went for the Mann act, which is a textbook example of a terrible open ended law that can be used for oppression, not protection.

notice how it was done by trump without all the pomp an circumstance white liberals use...if a white liberal did this the Dallas cheerleaders would have been present, the media would have been asking for autographs, and there would have been a parade afterwords with a declaration for a "special super-fund" to be set up so this kind of thing never happens again.

Because he was too busy collecting jerseys and sending pallets of cash to our motherfucking enemies.

It's an important symbolic gesture. America was founded to be based on Human Rights and the premise that all men were created equal.

As I've said from the beginning Trump is not an ideologue. If it's common sense, good for America or appropriate, he springs to action, doesn't drag his feet.

Prostitutes. And evading arrest.

Factually incorrect.

Factually incorrect.

That is what his bio says.

Factually incorrect.

From wiki, which is not a credible source. The facts are he was convicted of taking a white woman (who became his wife) across State lines for sex.

Indeed. Trump did the decent thing..which was long overdue.

I wonder if the left will find a way to claim Putin and Russia are why Trump did it?

It's more likely they'll spin this as being proof that he is a WACSIST.

Factually incorrect.

From wiki, which is not a credible source. The facts are he was convicted of taking a white woman (who became his wife) across State lines for sex.

Follow the links. I do not have encyclopedias at my house , do you?

Obama's concern were live black voters. Nothing to be gained politically from pardoning a dead man.

Factually incorrect.

The technical term in the law was immoral behavior, which to white southerners was anything above a black guy glancing at a white woman.

Forum List

Back