Trump Plans To Impose Tariff On Imports of Canadian Softwood Lumber

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
One down, quite a few to go. 20% For lumber is a start.

There's the meat industry, dairy, protectionism of our finance industry, free and unwavering access to U.S companies via the internet and phone outreach (cross border business without tax), NAFTA violations in which Canadian authorities enter American businesses and tamper with their HR departments/executive positions, heavily subsidized industries. Not to mention, violation of individual and business right to self determination, on top of our inability or disregard for our NATO obligations.

China, Mexico, Canada, in that order.

Trump Plans To Impose Tariff On Imports of Canadian Softwood Lumber

In an interview Monday, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said the tariff will be applied retroactively and imposed on Canadian exports to the U.S. of about $5 billion a year. He said the dispute centers on Canadian provinces that have been allegedly allowing loggers to cut down trees at reduced rates and sell them at low prices.

The determination that Canada improperly subsidizes its exports is preliminary, and the Commerce Department will need to make a final decision. In addition, the U.S. International Trade Commission will need to find that the U.S. industry has suffered injury. But even a preliminary decision has immediate real-world consequences, by discouraging importers from buying lumber from Canada.

"We tried to negotiate a settlement but we were unable," Mr. Ross said, adding that previous administrations have also been unsuccessful in resolving the dispute.

He said the Trump administration has notified Canada of its decision.

This is a move I support bigly.

The Canadian softwood and pine industry has been raping the American counterpart and its workers for three decades at best.

Right wing conservatives must live in a bubble so deep they can't see the sky. Or they are trolls and other assorted idiots. No need to blame Canada look local and you shall see.

Read fools and maybe just maybe the bubble will clear.

"Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right" Jane Mayer
'Invisible Hands: The Businessmen's Crusade Against the New Deal' Kim Phillips-Fein
'One Nation Under God: How Corporate America Invented Christian America' by Kevin M. Kruse
'Inventing a Christian America: The Myth of the Religious Founding' Steven Green
'White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America' by Nancy Isenberg

Right wing conservatives must live in a bubble so deep they can't see the sky. Or they are trolls and other assorted idiots. No need to blame Canada look local and you shall see.

Read fools and maybe just maybe the bubble will clear.

"Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right" Jane Mayer
'Invisible Hands: The Businessmen's Crusade Against the New Deal' Kim Phillips-Fein
'One Nation Under God: How Corporate America Invented Christian America' by Kevin M. Kruse
'Inventing a Christian America: The Myth of the Religious Founding' Steven Green
'White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America' by Nancy Isenberg

Maybe you are unaware of the massive level of abuse Canada engages in against American businesses and interests. It's not the kind of information you will find in a book. Follow my posts and you will get at least a glimpse into the murky waters of "Canadian democracy".

Trump taxed lumber because Cabada would deal with dairy.

Typical bully tactics.

Take away Canadian oil & Canada has a big trade deficit with the US.

Trump is crying about dairy yet US has a huge trade surplus with dairy.

Trump thinks he can stop imports with his buy American crap. This is an indication of how little the Dumpster knows about trade. Other countries will retaliate with stopping US exports into their country.

The end game is Trump will secure the US market of 300 million for US companies at the expense of the global market.

Trump taxed lumber because Cabada would deal with dairy.

Typical bully tactics.

Take away Canadian oil & Canada has a big trade deficit with the US.

Trump is crying about dairy yet US has a huge trade surplus with dairy.

Trump thinks he can stop imports with his buy American crap. This is an indication of how little the Dumpster knows about trade. Other countries will retaliate with stopping US exports into their country.

The end game is Trump will secure the US market of 300 million for US companies at the expense of the global market.

If you want to understand REAL bully tactics, consider what my wife and I experienced from Canada. To be sure, you should not be shedding a tear for Canada and their Stasi tactics.

Interfering in multiple careers. threats, opening the gate to my home and leaving a bag of dog excrement on our doorstep when we were at the hospital saying goodbye to my father-in-law (first thing we saw when we returned early in the morning).

Want more? How about being detained the border in which the Americans allowed us to enter and made it clear "we have no problem with you" and I was directed to speak to my corrupt, abusive government. Or having a car sit outside your home at all hours of the night, some quite late while only my wife was at home when I was forced to work a late shift to make ends meet. There is plenty more, some actions that Americans on other forums have suggested I confront these abusers in a manner expected of free citizens. Pursuit of happiness and protection from terror? Not in Canada. The terror often comes from the government here.

Bully tactics are all a matter of perspective now aren't they? The reason for these excessive abuses are because I blew the whistle on Canadian abuses of American corporations. Those abuses were simply shifted to me and my family rather than state to state

I will support Trump, Obama and any president who will stand up to Canada and what they have been getting away with for decades. Obama criticised Canada human right history in in a Parliament speech, I respected him for doing that, it is long overdue as we try and present ourselves as some defender of Rule of Law and Due Process, it's a sham. I've reached out to the current administration and Wilbur Ross office and I will continue to do so and speak the truth so that this administration is not exploited as others have been.

Canada is NOT your ally. They aren't even an ally to their own citizens, allowing abuses and violations only a tinpot dictatorship would allow. Do as you must to protect your workers, Canada is buying jobs on a daily basis, especially in Ontario. Careers, employment, the marketplace has quickly been run and driven by the government, don't fool yourself into thinking Canada is a free market.

You don't want to confront this?

Last edited:
I'm not going to lie, after a decade of first trying to deal with Canada domestically and then spending the last couple of years expressing these details to America I had to celebrate that someone is finally listening and understands what is being done by Canada. By the way, the abuses by the Canadian police and broader government are becoming more recognised by both democrats and Republicans based on the varying positions they have towards Canada, especially the border states. This, on top of our complete contempt for American military when we don't pay even half our NATO obligations.

I played this song and turned it up loud. I don't care what the song is about, I just felt "what a night" when I saw that America is holding to account the real bullies, Canada. I hope there will be many nights to celebrate. Hopefully, Canada and it's protectionist International violators will get the message sooner rather than later.

Thank you Mr. Trump and Mr. Ross! Canada has been given a free ride for far too long. I warned Canada that their tactics would bite them in the behind eventually, and indeed they have.

Bob Paulson and Vince Hawkes can go drink from the trough. I'm guessing that the trough is about to get smaller once our economy slows to a halt.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back